2015 Tournament Assignments

Started by Hoople, May 27, 2014, 11:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoople

Anyone know why the WIAA does not have wrestling done yet for 2015? All other winter sports are posted.

imnofish

Wasn't there some consideration of a possible change in tournament format? 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Ghetto

The regional assignments usually come out in late June/early July from what I remember.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

catzfan

the wiaa site says june for the assignments because, yes, they are considering a change to the regional for D2 and D3.

CLC FAN

The WIAA is deciding whether or not to do "Super Reigonals" for DII and DIII as recommended by the Coaches Advisory Council.  This would lead to half as many regionals in DII and DIII - only 8 total or two per sectional. Further details...

Top 2 teams would advance to team sectionals

Top 4 individuals would advance to sectionals

12-man brackets would be used with pigtail matches where necessary.

imnofish

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

padre

Quote from: CLC FAN on May 27, 2014, 06:56:54 PM
The WIAA is deciding whether or not to do "Super Reigonals" for DII and DIII as recommended by the Coaches Advisory Council.  This would lead to half as many regionals in DII and DIII - only 8 total or two per sectional. Further details...

Is it possible to do without the possibility of someone getting 6 matches?  There can be no possibility.

bigoil

Quote from: padre on May 28, 2014, 07:52:53 PM

Is it possible to do without the possibility of someone getting 6 matches?  There can be no possibility.

I don't have a bracket in front of me but I can only get to 5 in my head.

padre

Quote from: bigoil on May 28, 2014, 11:18:07 PM

Mainly if a kid loses his first match and then wrestles all the way back to his top place...odds are heavily against it but from what I have heard that is the hold-up.

imnofish

Quote from: padre on May 29, 2014, 12:39:33 AM
Quote from: bigoil on May 28, 2014, 11:18:07 PM

Mainly if a kid loses his first match and then wrestles all the way back to his top place...odds are heavily against it but from what I have heard that is the hold-up.

Run a Friday night session, so not all matches are on the same day.  Problem solved. 

thequad

The board will never approve the change. The change makes too much sense.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

MNbadger

I still don't get why WI doesn't do this;
I know I might get chastised for suggesting this (MN/ WI rivalry and all) but here goes........

There are three classes A. AA, AAA.
The state is broken into 8 regions for each class.
First weekend is the team dual tournament (regions range from 8 or 9 teams to 12 or 13).  Most are run on a Saturday (we run ours on Friday afternoon/evening).
This results in 8 Team Region champion teams to the state tournament.

The next weekend the same regions run their individual tournament (usually Friday evening/Saturday),
Tournaments are with true second.
This results in two qualifiers at each weight (1st and 2nd place winners).  This makes a 16 man bracket at the state tournament.
The only bad point is that if you lose your first round match and then he loses in the second round you are done.

Both the State Team and Individual are run the next weekend.  In years past they have run simultaneously but now the team portion is first and then the individual.

Team is seeded, individual is not (match ups are done far ahead and the individual champion from one section meets a runner-up from another).

It is a great tournament, a spectacle, a great experience.

From the outside looking in at WI it has always made me wonder why there are different numbers of wrestlers at state in different divisions.

You can never avoid the situation where wrestlers are in tougher sections than others (I dealt with it for years coaching).  We had many wrestlers who were 3rd in our region and had the made the state tournament they would have placed.

Food for thought.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Handles II

I agree MN, attended both, coached in both. MN's system to get to state (both team and individual) is hand's down the winner.
As a clarification to your statement above for readers (it caught me off guard). It is only AT the state tournament that in the second round if the winner loses the 1st round loser goes home. NOT at Sectionals. So in that regard it's the same as WI, though I believe MN is much closer to fixing that problem than WI is.

3 divisions x 8 sections
Top 2 qualify (true 2nd)
16 man brackets for each division
8 mats
1st round matches are predetermined (bout # 110 on mat  8)
General admission so you can move closer to the mat where your wrestlers (or team) is at (and other people move to see their wrestler so there is no, or little "seat saving".
Cheerleaders 1st row of bleachers. Media does not get 10 foot runways matside to lounge in. That space is for mats and on-deck wrestlers.

Hey OP, are you reading this stuff?? We are talking WRESTLING man! All it takes is starting or adding to a thread. Oh, and whadda know, it pops up on the "unread posts" link. Wow, simply amazing! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Chuck

Seeds 1-4 are in quarter final. 5-12  wrestle to get in to quarters. Chances of a 5-12 seed losing in quarter finals and wrestling all the way back to 2nd is very unlikely, should it happen it would be a 6th match in 1 day. They would have to ff that match, WIAA will not make an exception. I am all for the change. Not sure 2nd or 3rd really will matter come sectionals. Old way 3rd place finisher season was over.

bigoil

Wouldn't you wrestle to the top four and then 8 move on to sectionals?

One match to the Qtr, 3 to 5 th and 1 wrestle back to 4th.

That is why it would be a super regional because you'd be taking 4 instead of the 2.