Wrestling State tournament- team before individual?

Started by DocWrestling, January 19, 2016, 11:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

Just saw a tweet listing all the WIAA winter championships and dates and made me think about something.

Would the wrestling tournament series be better if the team state was the week before the individual state essentially swapping weekends?

Should we swap their order?  I would think for the majority the individual tournament is the pinnacle of the wrestling season.  Should that be last?

For the record, i would most prefer to copy the Minnesota system and have them both in the same weekend.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

MarkK

I think North Carolina has them swapped.  Been doing it that way for a long time.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

Jimmy

Individual is the pinnacle only if your team isn't involved

boowrestle

I would like to see order of starting wt at individual state drawn like a dual is,other than that the system isn't broken so why try and mess with it??
you can run but you cannot hide.

Barou

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 19, 2016, 11:11:34 AM
Just saw a tweet listing all the WIAA winter championships and dates and made me think about something.

Would the wrestling tournament series be better if the team state was the week before the individual state essentially swapping weekends?

Should we swap their order?  I would think for the majority the individual tournament is the pinnacle of the wrestling season.  Should that be last?

For the record, i would most prefer to copy the Minnesota system and have them both in the same weekend.

Would love to see them run it like Minnesota.  Not 100% but I'm not sure if the Kohl Center is big enough.
JHI Mafia

woody53

Quote from: Barou on January 21, 2016, 10:01:43 AM

Should we swap their order?  I would think for the majority the individual tournament is the pinnacle of the wrestling season.  Should that be last?

Would love to see them run it like Minnesota.  Not 100% but I'm not sure if the Kohl Center is big enough.
It is big enough. We would put eight mats down. Would limit media and cheerleader areas, but have the layout already. And we could then do both tournaments the same weekend.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Barou

Quote from: woody53 on January 21, 2016, 10:09:38 AM
Quote from: Barou on January 21, 2016, 10:01:43 AM

Should we swap their order?  I would think for the majority the individual tournament is the pinnacle of the wrestling season.  Should that be last?

Would love to see them run it like Minnesota.  Not 100% but I'm not sure if the Kohl Center is big enough.
It is big enough. We would put eight mats down. Would limit media and cheerleader areas, but have the layout already. And we could then do both tournaments the same weekend.

I wish they would consider doing that.  I've been to the Minnesota state tournament and the dual portion is very exciting with it being a packed house.
JHI Mafia

redbeard99

I think this would be a great move and an improvement for Wrestling in the state of Wisconsin.  There is no doubt that the State Wrestling tournament in Minnesota is among the top most energetic and packed high school wrestling events in the nation.   I wouldn't mind having team state the same weekend or even just swapping the two weekends.  We all know that the team state tournament in Wisconsin is not where it should be with the amount of fans and excitement - it should be much more.  By moving it to the weekend before state, that would give kids who made it to the individual state tournament an extra week of practice after sectionals to prepare for the one tournament you train all year for - STATE.  I think with a free weekend between sectionals and state, the team state tournament would draw a lot of fans.  The advantage of having team state and individual state on the same weekend is you would have a packed house because people who live hours and hours away, would not have to drive to Madison, WI 2 weekends in a row there and back.  They would be able to stay and see 2 big events, all in one weekend.  This could be an up and coming topic in the near future!

woody53

This has been discussed with the Coaches Association. As has Double Elimination for All at Individual State. I think within the next couple of years, there are some Coaches who are going to start Championing this.

Barou

Quote from: woody53 on January 21, 2016, 12:37:22 PM
This has been discussed with the Coaches Association. As has Double Elimination for All at Individual State. I think within the next couple of years, there are some Coaches who are going to start Championing this.

And if they would champion JHI I would have almost nothing to complain out (high school wise).
JHI Mafia

boowrestle

Might be great for the fans but I can guarantee if you poll the athletes that go thru 3 intense day of competing at individual state and they are going to say that they want the week in between to let their bodies recooperate.Any body  know the format that Mn uses,ind state is 3 days and team state is 2 days,,how do they do it all in 1 weekend????
you can run but you cannot hide.

DarkKnight

It'd be tough. for sure.

JHI would be a great experiment to do. Also double elimination as well... I see studs get squeezed out in this system because of how the draw is, and wrestlers they are perceived to be better than get to place. In D2 and D3 two sectionals could be loaded while the other sectionals are weak, causing a stud 2nd placer to go against a stud 3rd placer, knocking one of them out. I seen that happen in a few brackets in the past few years, but it isn't too common thankfully.

woody53

Quote from: boowrestle on January 21, 2016, 01:36:03 PM
Might be great for the fans but I can guarantee if you poll the athletes that go thru 3 intense day of competing at individual state and they are going to say that they want the week in between to let their bodies recooperate.Any body  know the format that Mn uses,ind state is 3 days and team state is 2 days,,how do they do it all in 1 weekend????
They do Team Weigh-ins on Wednesday Night. Wrestling Starts for Team at 9:00 on Thursday Morning. Semis for Team in all three divisions start at 1:00. Weigh ins for Individual Start at 4:00 on Thursday. Team Consolations at 5:00. Team Finals at 7:00. All on Thursday. Individual Wrestling starts on Friday Morning at 9:00. Semi Finals are not until Saturday Morning. Finals at 7:00 Saturday night.
Again, they run eight mats.

Barou

Quote from: woody53 on January 21, 2016, 01:49:34 PM
Quote from: boowrestle on January 21, 2016, 01:36:03 PM
Might be great for the fans but I can guarantee if you poll the athletes that go thru 3 intense day of competing at individual state and they are going to say that they want the week in between to let their bodies recooperate.Any body  know the format that Mn uses,ind state is 3 days and team state is 2 days,,how do they do it all in 1 weekend????
They do Team Weigh-ins on Wednesday Night. Wrestling Starts for Team at 9:00 on Thursday Morning. Semis for Team in all three divisions start at 1:00. Weigh ins for Individual Start at 4:00 on Thursday. Team Consolations at 5:00. Team Finals at 7:00. All on Thursday. Individual Wrestling starts on Friday Morning at 9:00. Semi Finals are not until Saturday Morning. Finals at 7:00 Saturday night.
Again, they run eight mats.

And the team format is 8 teams all three divisions.  Plus they wrestle for 3rd and 5th.  Individual charts are 16 per division.  Some kids wrestled up to 8 times during the extended weekend.  Can't say I heard anybody complaining though.
JHI Mafia

woody53

Barou, do you know if they weigh-in just once for team and once for individual.