Dean Hamiti

Started by harley25, March 27, 2024, 02:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkK

That list is hard to look at. I really liked watching Hamiti wrestle. It seems that in Wisconsin, our clubs have a problem with not promoting UW. Maybe I'm wrong.  I know kids have to do what is best for them.  But why not Wisconsin?  Now I'm wondering how bad the Barry Davis days really were.  Didn't seem this bad. 
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

BadgerOne

Quote from: Numbers on March 28, 2024, 11:31:36 AM
Quote from: WhoKnows on March 28, 2024, 11:13:40 AMAll ten of Ohio States starters were recruits.  No portal guys.  Not sure who they have lost but to have all 10 guys be Ohio State guys is uncanny.  Wonder what they are doing?  During the tournament Shane Sparks did talk about Tom Ryan doing his best to retain his talent.  Always liked him.   

Well Ohio State has facilities.
UW has facilities too.  All a wrestler essentially needs is a mat to wrestle on and some weight and exercise equipment to build strength and cardio. Many wrestlers have used the UW facilities and become AAs or world team members. Sure some facilities are bigger and nicer and newer, but I think the coaching staff and the school are more important than how big, nice or new the facilities are.  Braxton Amos could have gone anywhere but he chose UW despite its facilities.  Sure a new bigger facility might help a bit,but lets not exaggerate its importance as I can't recall hearing a recruit say I chose tOSU because of its nice facilities.

BadgerOne

Quote from: BadgerOne on March 28, 2024, 12:00:07 PM
Quote from: WhoKnows on March 28, 2024, 11:13:40 AMAll ten of Ohio States starters were recruits.  No portal guys.  Not sure who they have lost but to have all 10 guys be Ohio State guys is uncanny.  Wonder what they are doing?  During the tournament Shane Sparks did talk about Tom Ryan doing his best to retain his talent.  Always liked him.   

UW has facilities too.  All a wrestler essentially needs is a mat to wrestle on and some weight and exercise equipment to build strength and cardio. Many wrestlers have used the UW facilities and become AAs or world team members. Sure some facilities are bigger and nicer and newer, but I think the coaching staff and the school are more important than how big, nice or new the facilities are.  Braxton Amos could have gone anywhere but he chose UW despite its facilities.  Sure a new bigger facility might help a bit,but lets not exaggerate its importance as I can't recall hearing a wrestling recruit say I chose tOSU or any other school because of its nice facilities.

Chedd

That's simplifying things quite a bit. Yes, you don't need great facilities but it's crazy to think that recruits aren't going to compare facilities in making their college decision. It's like saying you don't need a nice house, just walls and a roof. We know people want what's nice and are drawn to it. Ohio State has what's nice. I think Wisconsin Badgers wrestling has bigger issues than facilities though. I don't blame on state club coaches for not pushing kids to wrestle at UW. Looks at that list of names. Kind of speaks for itself.

asdf

Everyone listen...Sure we are 8th in the Big Ten, 18th in the NCAA's, top recruits are not coming in, we have a 20+ list of athletes leaving and our best hope of an AA next year left.  But its NOT coaching, its because of academic standards, facilities, the portal, Ben Askren, Pinnacle, Sebolt, Izzy, NIL, liberalism, Women in RTC's, not enough true local support/$, the moon never in the correct phase over Lake Monona, and seriously kids just don't want to hustle, attitude, and effort anymore...but it isn't coaching.  Sure every coach in the nation has obstacles to overcome, but really its NOT coaching at UW.

BadgerOne

Do I like the school?
Does the school have a good reputation for what I want to study and is it the best school to prepare me for my life after graduation?
Do I like the coaches?
Do I like the practice partners and other guys on the team?
Can I make the lineup?
Is it close enough for my family to watch me wrestle?

Those listed above are pretty important questions.

Does the school have plenty of hot chicks?
Is the school the right size for me?
Will I fit in socially?
Are the facilities nice?
Does Ben Askren approve?

Any of the above might be important, but might not be.  I don't think a school needs to have the best facilities to be able to recruit top recruits.  Sure, a few might balk in going to a school with lesser facilities, but others will come if the other factors are viewed favorably.

WhoKnows

Hot chicks question should go to the top.

vsmf2010

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/2023/5/24/jennings-practice-facility

Handles II

I was just listening to the Mark Hellar show on the Big 1070 am. They of course were talking basketball. However, they said repeatedly, that the UW has to follow more stringent academic standards for recruiting than most of the top national teams including the big 10 and in state rival Marquette. That even before NIL and when Bo had them as a top 10 team, he simply wasn't allowed to recruit the same talent as others.
They went on to expand into the nil money trail and how UW has the money to bring in top 50 talent but they can't afford the top 15 other than an occasional one year.
Regardless of who's coach of the Badgers, these things, poor facilities, and let's admit it, AWA, are and will always be factors. UW was the 5th best Big 10 team at nationals. The other four have been national championship contenders for the last three decades. Make a list of transfers for each of those teams so everyone can then speak objectively.
DH is going to be paid to wrestle for one year, just as Gomez was. Good for him. As far as his development at UW, while he AA'd last year, this year he was one of the most dominant in the sport, I'd bet the bank that this years DH would have destroyed previous years DH. In fact you can probably go through the lineup and say the same thing about each guy.

Handles II

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 28, 2024, 01:02:27 PM

Yeah, if I'm an 18 year old and being recruited equally to OS or UW, Dang right the facilities would be a major factor. That place is top notch.

BadgerOne

Quote from: Handles II on March 28, 2024, 01:12:32 PMI was just listening to the Mark Hellar show on the Big 1070 am. They of course were talking basketball. However, they said repeatedly, that the UW has to follow more stringent academic standards for recruiting than most of the top national teams including the big 10 and in state rival Marquette. That even before NIL and when Bo had them as a top 10 team, he simply wasn't allowed to recruit the same talent as others.
They went on to expand into the nil money trail and how UW has the money to bring in top 50 talent but they can't afford the top 15 other than an occasional one year.
Regardless of who's coach of the Badgers, these things, poor facilities, and let's admit it, AWA, are and will always be factors. UW was the 5th best Big 10 team at nationals. The other four have been national championship contenders for the last three decades. Make a list of transfers for each of those teams so everyone can then speak objectively.
DH is going to be paid to wrestle for one year, just as Gomez was. Good for him. As far as his development at UW, while he AA'd last year, this year he was one of the most dominant in the sport, I'd bet the bank that this years DH would have destroyed previous years DH. In fact you can probably go through the lineup and say the same thing about each guy.

Actually, they were not fifth best, but rather sixth as the top five were PSU, Michigan, Iowa, Nebraska and Ohio State.  But there was a huge separation between the top 5 and the rest.  So yeah UW was best of the rest but they still finished 18th overall.  Next year, they only return one qualifier who netted 1.5 points, so unless Bono works some real magic in the portal, its not looking good next year.

harley25

Quote from: BadgerOne on March 28, 2024, 01:46:34 PM
Quote from: Handles II on March 28, 2024, 01:12:32 PMI was just listening to the Mark Hellar show on the Big 1070 am. They of course were talking basketball. However, they said repeatedly, that the UW has to follow more stringent academic standards for recruiting than most of the top national teams including the big 10 and in state rival Marquette. That even before NIL and when Bo had them as a top 10 team, he simply wasn't allowed to recruit the same talent as others.

Actually, they were not fifth best, but rather sixth as the top five were PSU, Michigan, Iowa, Nebraska and Ohio State.  But there was a huge separation between the top 5 and the rest.  So yeah UW was best of the rest but they still finished 18th overall.  Next year, they only return one qualifier who netted 1.5 points, so unless Bono works some real magic in the portal, its not looking good next year.

They don't call him the magician for nothing, I see a top 10 finish next year

vsmf2010

Quote from: Handles II on March 28, 2024, 01:18:29 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 28, 2024, 01:02:27 PM

Yeah, if I'm an 18 year old and being recruited equally to OS or UW, Dang right the facilities would be a major factor. That place is top notch.

Pretty easy to see why Ben Davino chose OSU over the UW. The facilities has to be at least part of the decision.

wrestlemania

"Sure every coach in the nation has obstacles to overcome, but really its NOT coaching at UW."

UW has never won a B1G title nor an NCAA title. It's best NCAA finish is fourth. It's best conference finish is second.

The state's wrestling Hall of Fame is named after former UW head coach George Martin, who never won anything coaching at UW-Madison. Barry Davis won more duals than any coach at UW-Madison. Didn't win anything either. Nor did Duane Kleven or Russ Hellickson or Andy Rein.

So all of these coaches were either all idiots or there's this magic coach out there with great powers (ahem...Ben Askren) ::) who can somehow come to Madison and fix everything that's wrong with UW Wrestling with those said powers that nobody else in entire history of the program has been able to figure out!

Having lived through the whole Davis debate and then being excited when Bono, the "hot" coach at the time was hired, just count me as skeptical.