ESPN Coverage and Finals Refing

Started by WhoKnows, March 26, 2024, 07:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhoKnows

This past weekend I binged the crap out of wrestling coverage on ESPN+.  Couldn't watch Thursday so I avoided all things social media and internet until I was all caught up.  The warden was at hockey tournament so it was me and my young boy.  We took turns on the tv so he could get his Blippi/Meki and T-Rex Ranch, me my wrestling.  That being said.  ESPN Multi-cast was a very doable thing with 8 mats even though you get a little dizzy trying to keep up.  Shane Sparks did an excellent job with the commenting and play by play.  Anthony Robles was there to help out too and they both were I thought very good.  Some other dude came in however I thought he was more of nuisance as he did not know much about the actual wrestlers.  He seemed not prepared.  The first round and blood round was epic.  I did not watch the standard ESPN channel with them going between multi-mats and single mats.  I did not want to miss any Wisconsin or other BIG10 dudes going.  With that said, Saturdays commenting was just plain awful.  Please ESPN don't let this happen again.  Way to many guys putting in there two cents and to me seemed like they knew very little about the wrestlers, other than the top dogs (see PSU).  Again ESPN make it stop. JB and Cormier just stunk it up.  Quint Kessenich is a douche.  I fast forwarded most of his interview cause I know he is terrible, however I did watch his interview with Starocci casue I wanted to hear if either would say anything stupid.  On que, Carter says something about the knee however alludes to the fact that he ain't saying anything about what the actual injury is.  That should've been enough.  Quint asks point blank if he has a torn ACL.  What the inappropriate term3 man?  That was tacky.  You did not have to ask that.  Shane Sparks does not ask that question.  In my view, at the very least Shane Sparks should be doing all the interviews.  If I had it my way Shane Sparks should be doing play by play, Anthony Robles color commenting and anyone else doing interviews Saturday night.  No Tim Johnson either. 

With that said, the refing was horrendous on Saturday night.  Yuck.  125, 133, and 165 were terrible.  Please make it stop.  125 no stalls living on the edge, 133 stall fest and the trainer from Cornell shouldve wrapped Vitos and be done with it.  165 phantom stall calls on Carr.  The guy with all the takedowns gets dinged for stalling multiple times.  Whatever dude.  I get that MM was really active however he wasn't taking dedicated shots.  Lots of fakes and half shots.  IMO.  The best two refs (NOT Angel Rivera, the bald guy from 133, the skinny dupa with they spiky hair from Big10, and the glasses guy, great descriptions huh) should do all 10 matches.  That way every match is consistent and everything flows nice.

That is a whole lot of complaining but something had to be said.  Hopefully the NCAA and ESPN reads this post and makes it happen.  This watcher is counting on it.

WhoKnows

I forgot to complain about the reviews.  Make it stop. If your gonna keep them give them exactly 30 seconds to figure it out, after that the call on the mat stands.  Reviews have ruined the quality of refs and sports.

1Iota

Sorry, but having Daniel Cormier was the right move if we want to grow the sport.  He is not as polished are as good at describing the action as Anthony or Tim, but unlike those 2, millions of people know who he is and follow him.  There is a reason that Pat Mcafee had him on for a long segment yesterday.  Wrestling is a sport that needs to attract eyeballs if it wants to survive.  Catering to the die hard fans isn't going to accomplish that.

vsmf2010

Quote from: 1Iota on March 26, 2024, 09:34:44 AMSorry, but having Daniel Cormier was the right move if we want to grow the sport.  He is not as polished are as good at describing the action as Anthony or Tim, but unlike those 2, millions of people know who he is and follow him.  There is a reason that Pat Mcafee had him on for a long segment yesterday.  Wrestling is a sport that needs to attract eyeballs if it wants to survive.  Catering to the die hard fans isn't going to accomplish that.

I was discussing the exact same thing with my son during the broadcast. Personally I prefer Jim Gibbons and Tim Johnson but if you are trying to attract, keep and entertain new fans and the masses DC and JB are a very good plan. Way more currently relevant, well known and they do a great job. Jim and Tim are way more relevant to the die hard hand and those of us who wrestled when we wore tights, had tie matches and did not have choice in the 2nd and 3rd period.  ;D

WhoKnows

I have friends that are really into UFC/MMA.  Other sports too.  If they are going to be watching something Saturday night its going to be 95% March Madness, even if they know Cormier is commenting.  The other 5% flicking between that and maybe wrestling.  Daniel Cormier was terrible.  If I am a casual fan and I flip on the tube and I hear him its being put on mute.  You'd have to be a fan of his.  Throw in the refing and its off.  The 149 pound match was the best of the night.  Tim Johnson and Jim Gibbons are 100% for the die hard.  Thats why Shane Sparks and Anthony Robles is the way to go.  You got two guys that know a lot about the sport, the athletes, and are entreating to listen to.  IMO.  If ESPN is looking to compete with March Madness its Joe Rogan.  He may not have been a college wrestler but he could do it.  Plus the millions he would attract. 

wrestle_4ever

Quote from: WhoKnows on March 26, 2024, 07:58:31 AMThis past weekend I binged the crap out of wrestling coverage on ESPN+.  Couldn't watch Thursday so I avoided all things social media and internet until I was all caught up.  The warden was at hockey tournament so it was me and my young boy.  We took turns on the tv so he could get his Blippi/Meki and T-Rex Ranch, me my wrestling.  That being said.  ESPN Multi-cast was a very doable thing with 8 mats even though you get a little dizzy trying to keep up.  Shane Sparks did an excellent job with the commenting and play by play.  Anthony Robles was there to help out too and they both were I thought very good.  Some other dude came in however I thought he was more of nuisance as he did not know much about the actual wrestlers.  He seemed not prepared.  The first round and blood round was epic.  I did not watch the standard ESPN channel with them going between multi-mats and single mats.  I did not want to miss any Wisconsin or other BIG10 dudes going.  With that said, Saturdays commenting was just plain awful.  Please ESPN don't let this happen again.  Way to many guys putting in there two cents and to me seemed like they knew very little about the wrestlers, other than the top dogs (see PSU).  Again ESPN make it stop. JB and Cormier just stunk it up.  Quint Kessenich is a douche.  I fast forwarded most of his interview cause I know he is terrible, however I did watch his interview with Starocci casue I wanted to hear if either would say anything stupid.  On que, Carter says something about the knee however alludes to the fact that he ain't saying anything about what the actual injury is.  That should've been enough.  Quint asks point blank if he has a torn ACL.  What the inappropriate term3 man?  That was tacky.  You did not have to ask that.  Shane Sparks does not ask that question.  In my view, at the very least Shane Sparks should be doing all the interviews.  If I had it my way Shane Sparks should be doing play by play, Anthony Robles color commenting and anyone else doing interviews Saturday night.  No Tim Johnson either. 

With that said, the refing was horrendous on Saturday night.  Yuck.  125, 133, and 165 were terrible.  Please make it stop.  125 no stalls living on the edge, 133 stall fest and the trainer from Cornell shouldve wrapped Vitos and be done with it.  165 phantom stall calls on Carr.  The guy with all the takedowns gets dinged for stalling multiple times.  Whatever dude.  I get that MM was really active however he wasn't taking dedicated shots.  Lots of fakes and half shots.  IMO.  The best two refs (NOT Angel Rivera, the bald guy from 133, the skinny dupa with they spiky hair from Big10, and the glasses guy, great descriptions huh) should do all 10 matches.  That way every match is consistent and everything flows nice.

That is a whole lot of complaining but something had to be said.  Hopefully the NCAA and ESPN reads this post and makes it happen.  This watcher is counting on it.

Cannot agree more about bringing in Shane Sparks. I don't mind Jb and Dc but Q has got to go!! Shane does such a great job with the kids and is so knowledgeable as he follows their journey all year long. Quint hardly knows who these guys are and asks ridiculous questions.
It ain't the six minutes...it's what happens in that six minutes

1Iota

Quote from: WhoKnows on March 26, 2024, 10:04:22 AMI have friends that are really into UFC/MMA.  Other sports too.  If they are going to be watching something Saturday night its going to be 95% March Madness, even if they know Cormier is commenting.  The other 5% flicking between that and maybe wrestling.  Daniel Cormier was terrible.  If I am a casual fan and I flip on the tube and I hear him its being put on mute.  You'd have to be a fan of his.  Throw in the refing and its off.  The 149 pound match was the best of the night.  Tim Johnson and Jim Gibbons are 100% for the die hard.  Thats why Shane Sparks and Anthony Robles is the way to go.  You got two guys that know a lot about the sport, the athletes, and are entreating to listen to.  IMO.  If ESPN is looking to compete with March Madness its Joe Rogan.  He may not have been a college wrestler but he could do it.  Plus the millions he would attract. 

They would never be able to afford Rogan.   Cormier was able to secure a 30 minute interview with Mcafee to discuss the tournament.  Mcafee has a huge audience and was able to sell the sport and the tournament, as well as the growth of womens wrestling.  Mcafee is not having Shane Sparks on his show.  Men's wrestling is not growing.  Look at how many schools have eliminated the sport in the last decade.  Old school die hard attitudes will only continue this trend.

WhoKnows

It was 10 minutes and the Monday after the tournament.  They talked about Daniel Cormier first and foremost.  Bashed the wrestling community because everyone thought he was terrible and was calling him out.  Then talked a lot about PSU.  Then made fun of Brock Hardy for getting spladled.  Then talked more about Daniel Cormier.  I personally don't listen to talk show stuff.  If you want to get people to watch wrestling that interview isn't the one that will get them to watch.     

1Iota

Quote from: WhoKnows on March 26, 2024, 01:11:29 PMIt was 10 minutes and the Monday after the tournament.  They talked about Daniel Cormier first and foremost.  Bashed the wrestling community because everyone thought he was terrible and was calling him out.  Then talked a lot about PSU.  Then made fun of Brock Hardy for getting spladled.  Then talked more about Daniel Cormier.  I personally don't listen to talk show stuff.  If you want to get people to watch wrestling that interview isn't the one that will get them to watch.     

You're simply hearing what you want to hear, and I doubt you heard the entire interview, but instead what was posted online. 

Here is a direct quote from the interview after they discuss Cormier taking some shots from wrestling fans and his response.

Mcafee: "I would like to let you know as someone who is very casual and didn't even know the championships were on, Mat Madness as they call it, It was awesome! Is that normal? That Electric? Is that what it's like every year"?  Yea, your right, that is a really negative review of the event that will never help build the sport. 

WhoKnows

1lota - Not to get into a p-ing match but you bring up great points.  How do you get people to watch wrestling?  Bringing in Daniel Cormier does help.  Him going on Mcafee and promoting NCAA wrestling helps.  However who is that target audience? Mostly the male older generation.  30+ years of age.  I asked my brother in law, Huge UFC/MMA and sports junkie, "Daniel Cormier was doing commenting on ESPN broadcast of NCAA wrestling championship Saturday. Did you watch it? Would you if knowing he was"?  He responded, "Didn't watch but would make sense..he does the UFC commentary and has wrestling background".  That validates your point about Daniel Cormier.  However, that failed to get him to watch.  I'm 100% sure he was watching March Madness instead.  It probably did attract a lot of casual watchers though that I admit. 

With all that said, who should be the target audience? The youth is the answer.  Wisconsin Badger women's hockey was in the frozen four.  My daughter plays hockey, she is 13.  I ask her, "did you watch the Badge women's hockey"?  She said "yes". I ask her, "How did you know it was on"?  She said, "TicTok, IG, Facebook"  I asked her if she would care if the person commenting on the game would sway here to watch?  She just looked at me with an annoyed face cause I was asking to many questions.  Youth wrestlers is the answer.  Get them to watch when they are young and they will continue to watch.  They could possibly get there parents to watch with them.  Increasing viewership more.  Maybe youth wrestling clubs have watch parties at the local gym.  Put it on a big screen and roll out the mat. IDK. Spit balling at this point. 

With that said, to the die hards.  Daniel Cormier should have been better prepared to do the commenting.  He should have known who the athletes are. To me he failed.  I'll continue to watch however. Just on mute.  Which validates your point that we will mostly always watch whoever is doing the commenting.     

1Iota

Quote from: WhoKnows on March 27, 2024, 07:25:10 AM1lota - Not to get into a p-ing match but you bring up great points.  How do you get people to watch wrestling?  Bringing in Daniel Cormier does help.  Him going on Mcafee and promoting NCAA wrestling helps.  However who is that target audience? Mostly the male older generation.  30+ years of age.  I asked my brother in law, Huge UFC/MMA and sports junkie, "Daniel Cormier was doing commenting on ESPN broadcast of NCAA wrestling championship Saturday. Did you watch it? Would you if knowing he was"?  He responded, "Didn't watch but would make sense..he does the UFC commentary and has wrestling background".  That validates your point about Daniel Cormier.  However, that failed to get him to watch.  I'm 100% sure he was watching March Madness instead.  It probably did attract a lot of casual watchers though that I admit. 

With all that said, who should be the target audience? The youth is the answer.  Wisconsin Badger women's hockey was in the frozen four.  My daughter plays hockey, she is 13.  I ask her, "did you watch the Badge women's hockey"?  She said "yes". I ask her, "How did you know it was on"?  She said, "TicTok, IG, Facebook"  I asked her if she would care if the person commenting on the game would sway here to watch?  She just looked at me with an annoyed face cause I was asking to many questions.  Youth wrestlers is the answer.  Get them to watch when they are young and they will continue to watch.  They could possibly get there parents to watch with them.  Increasing viewership more.  Maybe youth wrestling clubs have watch parties at the local gym.  Put it on a big screen and roll out the mat. IDK. Spit balling at this point. 

With that said, to the die hards.  Daniel Cormier should have been better prepared to do the commenting.  He should have known who the athletes are. To me he failed.  I'll continue to watch however. Just on mute.  Which validates your point that we will mostly always watch whoever is doing the commenting.     

I would 100% agree that we need to target the youth.  Maybe the growth of girls wrestling will save the sport. 

Ghetto

We have al ate done a poor job of marketing this sport. Bashing DC does no good. He's already said he's done doing it. Was he great? Absolutely not. Would he get better? Of course he would. Shane Sparks move the needle for us. We love that dude. He brings great energy, but he isn't pulling viewers by himself.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove