Hamiti to transfer portal

Started by crossface21, March 25, 2024, 02:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Iota

Quote from: WhoKnows on March 25, 2024, 03:21:45 PMIMO has less to do with NIL and more to do with facilities, RTC, practice partners, hopes for a national title, team trophy.  One year left and you just failed to make the podium.  He's on the cusp of greatness and needs a little more than what Wisconsin can currently give him. Practicing with multiple senior level guys and learning new things could make it happen. 

I generally agree, but the same schools that have an advantage in Partners, titles, and RTC also have a huge advantage in NIL. 

D-1 College sports are broken, D-1 college wrestling is becoming a joke.  There is only one team that has chance to win the title and only 3-4 more that have any relevance.  The rest are just hanging around pretending they're still a team on campus.  While all the national guys, even Shane Sparks, are celebrating Penn St, they should understand it is only putting our sport in a death spiral at the college level. 

onwisconsin

Quote from: WhoKnows on March 25, 2024, 03:21:45 PMIMO has less to do with NIL and more to do with facilities, RTC, practice partners, hopes for a national title, team trophy.  One year left and you just failed to make the podium.  He's on the cusp of greatness and needs a little more than what Wisconsin can currently give him. Practicing with multiple senior level guys and learning new things could make it happen. 

I pretty much agree with everything you said.  NIL makes it likely Penn St. will never lose their spot at #1.  You can likely pencil in the top 2-4 teams every season going forward.   

That said look at Va Tech, Cornell, etc.   Some schools can still have good/great showings.   We aren't there and this is more than likely due to your points made. 

McIntosh has some tough decisions if he cares about wrestling.  I still believe it can happen.  Facilities is likely first.

whatever

Wow...whole lot of doom and gloom here.

I was listening to John Kuhn on the radio talking college football when Nick Saban retired and said college football was no longer the same because of NIL.  His broadcast partners were all doom and gloom and John Kuhn had a different take.

He said all the older coaches are going to struggle with changing landscape but he made a great point.  He said young coaches are going to come in and make NIL and other changes work to their advantage and he said it's up to college and universities to find the young coaches who can navigate this changing landscape and make it work for them .

Change is always part of any sport.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

stbird

dad 2 5

Quote from: wrestle_4ever on March 25, 2024, 03:41:14 PMA more pressing question:

Where is Deans good buddy Dillan Johnson and what will he do ?

I told a co worker today that Dean will go and Johnson and Bono HAS to go if that happened. Halfway there

onwisconsin

Quote from: whatever on March 25, 2024, 04:26:23 PMWow...whole lot of doom and gloom here.

I was listening to John Kuhn on the radio talking college football when Nick Saban retired and said college football was no longer the same because of NIL.  His broadcast partners were all doom and gloom and John Kuhn had a different take.

He said all the older coaches are going to struggle with changing landscape but he made a great point.  He said young coaches are going to come in and make NIL and other changes work to their advantage and he said it's up to college and universities to find the young coaches who can navigate this changing landscape and make it work for them .

Change is always part of any sport.

I agree.  If they want to compete.  Make NIL work.  They can do it.  A lot is on AD McIntosh to make the right decisions.  I believe in him. 

scrambledeggs

Many have left over the years but this one might hurt the most. I understand with NIL we will never be a top 5 team unless we have a top 5 coach. One of the reasons I wanted Askren as coach is because I think he could have brought the talent. I realize Askren probably didn't want the job. At times I feel like Askren is steering our best talent away. How can so many studs from his school go outside the state and pretty much none go the UW? NIL is making the rich even richer and the rest figuring out how to compete. Not a lot of bright spots on our team and now we lost our best guy. Why do I feel like Amos will be next?

With NIL the number of scholarships per team no longer matters, the amount your booster can spend does.

DocWrestling

If Amos is successful next year then he will be offered money to leave.  Not sure anyone is offering him much right now based on his freshman year and being a tweener with weight classes.

If he goes heavyweight like expected and Johnson actually wrestles after football I would be surprised if he could beat Johnson due to the size difference
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

dad 2 5

how bad is next year's team going to be? Looks pretty awful. Bono will need to bring in a full transfer line up. Or am I missing something? I can't see Amos being successful at hwy. Does Zargo improve? Does Rivera go to 25 and find something?

charteroak1

Was mentioned 2 years at $200,000.  Not a bad pay day for a college wrestler. 

Numbers

Quote from: charteroak1 on March 25, 2024, 06:27:05 PMWas mentioned 2 years at $200,000.  Not a bad pay day for a college wrestler. 
So maybe redshirt next year?

littleguy301

Quote from: charteroak1 on March 25, 2024, 06:27:05 PMWas mentioned 2 years at $200,000.  Not a bad pay day for a college wrestler. 

Not a bad pay day for sure. Though I bet he is paying for tuition, taxes and other expensive out of that. Once you get NIL deals like that they usually aren't getting any scholarship money. Not sure how.much it costs to go to Michigan but I bet taxes and school eat up have that money right off the bat.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

MNbadger

No, NIL is separate from scholarship.
Quote from: littleguy301 on March 25, 2024, 06:38:20 PM

Not a bad pay day for sure. Though I bet he is paying for tuition, taxes and other expensive out of that. Once you get NIL deals like that they usually aren't getting any scholarship money. Not sure how.much it costs to go to Michigan but I bet taxes and school eat up have that money right off the bat.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

BadgerOne

DocWrestling

There are wrestlers with partial scholarships and big NIL.  Basically no scholarship limits anymore.  Hand out .25 scholarships and cover the other .75 plus more with NIL money.  Some play the games with tax ramifications for each based on what is covered from tuition to room/board to extra money.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!