UW recruiting question.

Started by leg turk, March 18, 2024, 11:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Numbers

Quote from: WrestlerSB80 on March 25, 2024, 11:22:12 AMIf everything stays the same and we lose Hamiti in transfer portal. We should be in good shape next year.
Well then everything is not the same.

Not sure if anyone will leave but will bet there will be someone added via the portal.

asdf

few social media posts are saying Hamiti to Michigan at 174# (Beau M slotted at 165#). 

vsmf2010

Quote from: asdf on March 25, 2024, 12:33:55 PMfew social media posts are saying Hamiti to Michigan at 174# (Beau M slotted at 165#). 

What would they be doing with Cam Amine? He still has 1 year left.

wiscowrestlingfan1

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 25, 2024, 01:19:47 PM
Quote from: asdf on March 25, 2024, 12:33:55 PMfew social media posts are saying Hamiti to Michigan at 174# (Beau M slotted at 165#). 

What would they be doing with Cam Amine? He still has 1 year left.

one of them could redshirt?

bigoil

DJ pinned Beau at Midlands (would have been a 15-0 tech if not a pin).

BadgerBacker

Hamiti has entered the portal. It has been posted.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: asdf on March 21, 2024, 12:19:54 PM
Quote from: Vir Fortis on March 21, 2024, 05:31:00 AM
Quote from: DocWrestling on March 19, 2024, 08:20:57 PMIs Becker really going to change anything?
Brandvold?
Hahn?

Why not? Becker is an outstanding coach. He doesn't have the D1 accolades, but he has the respect of Askren. Like it or not, he's the biggest obstacle right now.

Brandvold? Again, why not? He's a Wisconsin guy, I would think he'd do better with Wisconsin kids. He's been an outstanding assistant.

Hahn-Does he get along with Askren?

When you have a young Hamiti(he's not exactly old now, but you get my point), Amos, Hilger, Barnett, and you then grabbed a few big time recruits like Rowley, Estrada, Root, you were in on Davino, Hopke and Ferrari(may have dodged a bullet there and a future teammate may literally have had to dodge one if it's family thing)...I was excited about the future of the program.

12-18 months later, the question is...could things get much worse? We're not seeing guys taking big jumps(Hamiti gets a pass on that one given he's in the toughest weight)...Hilger, did he have his best showing his 2nd year? Barnett is a REALLY good Wrestler. Seems like the same mistakes. Amos didn't progress and now with the Greco, who's to say if he will.

Give me a younger coach with experience who can work with these kids and has a clean slate.

Also, let the Athletic Department know that a square build no taller than 5'6 is not actually a pre-requisite!

Finally, as far as I know, the academic requirements at UW ARE much more difficult than their peers(most of them anyway). This is something Bielema and Andersen bemoaned as the Football coaches as they lost multiple highly ranked recruits to the likes of MSU, Nebraska, and Michigan—Guys who wanted to play at Wisconsin. I can't cite it offhand, but among the Power 5, only Stanford was more difficult to get guys into Wisconsin. So the guys going elsewhere, it's hardly an insult to suggest SOME of them may not have been able to gain admission into Wisconsin. It's also not an excuse.

-Comparing Football to wrestling recruitment is a bad comparison.  UW recruiting has to complete against SEC and BigTen. so same to lesser academic schools.  Wrestling has to recruit against MANY schools with much higher academic standards then WI.  Yet those tougher academic schools are doing great considering what they have going for them.
Mulvaney from WI goes to Bucknell, I just watched the Harvard 125er# (went an HS an hour away from UW) with the upset of the first round, the EIWA has some of the best wrestling programs in the nation (Penn, Princeton, Cornell).  Maylor went to Michigan initially, NW has a WI kid, on and on.  Academics IS an excuse for poor recruiting.

-Clearly Bielemana/Andersen used academics as an excuse for their failures.  Yet, Bielema had one of the best recruting classes ever the year or 2 before he left (russel wilson, Watt, half the offense line and TE went pro, etc)?  Why did he stink at Arksansas?  Sure as heck wasn't because of Ark. academic standards.  Andersen flamed out everywhere he went since UW and is currently a consultant for Weber State. They can state academics, but maybe they are just not good coaches? 

-UW had 12 just named All-Academic, which is a huge #.  Clearly they can find smart kids.  Lettini, Tal-S and a few other All-Academic's aren't developing as hoped.

Why is it a bad comparision? They BOTH talked about the academic limitations in getting recruits. And they didn't fail at Wisconsin, they did exceptionally well. And then you made your case about Wilson, and Watt, two of the biggest transfers. That's already been discussed. It's far easier to TRANSFER into Wisconsin than to gain admission.

Either way, that was...ONE small part of what I said and I said it's not an excuse, I simply argued they do in fact have more difficult academic standards and they don't get the same appeals. I said that MAY have been the case for SOME athletes, but not an excuse for the recruiting overall. You bring up Bucknell and Mulvaney. You read where I said it may have impacted SOME, right?

Also...Bielema's recruiting classes were 87th, 40th, and 57th his last 3 years. I think he had ONE class inside the top 40. The Badgers were also ranked inside the top 8 5 of his 8 seasons, they went 12-1, they had a couple of 10-11 win seasons, went to a couple Rose Bowls.

Andersen had two seasons with classes in the same top ~40 range and won 20 games in two years...losing a Jan 1 game to Jadaveon Clowney's top 10 USC team that finished...I don't know, 7th or 8th.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing in your larger point, but each individual one was wrong.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: BadgerBacker on March 25, 2024, 02:16:29 PMHamiti has entered the portal. It has been posted.

That's...gotta be the final nail. I haven't been paying real close attention, but isn't Reader gone(or rumored to be).

Are we gonna let this get to MSU?

Program was in good shape not long ago. Now it is...not. Also, it's too bad as I think '65 will clear out a bit next year. If you believe Askren, he's said(or maybe just inferred) that O'Toole would be a '74. I can certainly see that. He looked bigger this year. I thought he said he was waiting for Mocco to graduate to keep guys in place. He looked tired at the end of the Carr match. I wouldn't say gassed, but closer to it than I'd seen him before. So 174, life seems better for him. And if Starocci comes back, that could be just an awesome final. Then cut down for the Olympic years.

Anyway, it's ugly. I like Rivera, Zargo. We have a couple good kids coming in, but they should be coming in as depth for a year and get better and that's just not happening.

Good luck to Hamiti though. I'll be rooting for him if he's at UW or elsewhere.

harley25

Quote from: Vir Fortis on March 25, 2024, 07:01:20 PM
Quote from: BadgerBacker on March 25, 2024, 02:16:29 PMHamiti has entered the portal. It has been posted.

That's...gotta be the final nail. I haven't been paying real close attention, but isn't Reader gone(or rumored to be).

Are we gonna let this get to MSU?

Program was in good shape not long ago. Now it is...not. Also, it's too bad as I think '65 will clear out a bit next year. If you believe Askren, he's said(or maybe just inferred) that O'Toole would be a '74. I can certainly see that. He looked bigger this year. I thought he said he was waiting for Mocco to graduate to keep guys in place. He looked tired at the end of the Carr match. I wouldn't say gassed, but closer to it than I'd seen him before. So 174, life seems better for him. And if Starocci comes back, that could be just an awesome final. Then cut down for the Olympic years.

Anyway, it's ugly. I like Rivera, Zargo. We have a couple good kids coming in, but they should be coming in as depth for a year and get better and that's just not happening.

Good luck to Hamiti though. I'll be rooting for him if he's at UW or elsewhere.

OToole in his interview said "I ran out of steam" he said he didn't know if it was mental or physical and it's some thing he needs to figure out