What do we want for the Badger program?

Started by wrestler_73, January 10, 2024, 11:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do we want for the Badger program?

Continue to support Bono, staff, and team through these challenging times...celebrate the success along the way
21 (38.2%)
Don't care....same as most everyone that is not on this message board...we are not in the top 25!
7 (12.7%)
Hire Askren or someone closely connected to AWA
27 (49.1%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: January 20, 2024, 11:55:39 AM

hornbuckleb

It would have been very simple a year and a half ago for the staff to come out and say their focus is no longer driven towards olympic level atheletes.  They shifted away from a true RTC to an NIL campaign.  Does some dollars still go towards RTC related stuff..for sure..but is it the sole purpose..no.  I would argue that they should be called the Badger Wrestling Club not the Wisconsin Regional Training Center.

One simple release or statement "We have decided to switch our focus away from traditional RTC activities and concentrate on fund raising for NIL.  We are looking at aquiring the best atheletes to bring an National Championship to Wisconsin and will need your help more than ever."

That would have sold me, an no I don't need any more transparency than this.

From the WRTC website
WISCONSIN REGIONAL TRAINING CENTER
A USA wrestling sanctioned training center where high school, college and post-collegiate wrestlers who meet established criteria can all train together on a consistent basis to reach their potential of being state, national and world champions.

NIL FUND
As you know the landscape of college athletics is ever changing and in efforts to keep up the Wisconsin RTC has implemented an NIL Campaign to keep our athletes on our team. Our RTC's mission is to create a nurturing environment that allows our athletes to succeed both on and off the mat! In order to do so we are reaching out to loyal fans and community members like yourselves to help us retain these athletes. By supporting this way you are investing in the future and legacy of Wisconsin Wrestling!

USA WRESTLING MISSION AND PURPOSE STATEMENT RELATING TO RTC'S
RTCs unify the American wrestling community under one goal to advance the sport at all levels.
The purpose of the USA Wrestling RTCs are to allow individuals to achieve their full human and athletic potential. The RTCs provide qualified youth athletes and Olympic Hopefuls access to elite level coaches, high level training partners and world class facilities in a safe local environment. RTCs should mirror USA Wrestling's mission, vision and values.
A key focus is to raise the relevancy of wrestling on college campuses. Within NCAA rules, RTCs provide additional opportunities for college coaches to further develop and enhance their individual program. This cooperative effort strengthens the connection between the Olympic Movement and college athletics.
RTCs will enhance the development of America's youth athletes, college student-athletes and elite Olympic hopefuls in the international disciplines.

Most RTC's this time of year are hosting high school practices (for those that meet the criteria to train.)  This has happened on and off, but with no consistently.

PAUL

Cityguy, your thoughts seems to be right on the money! (No pun intended).  I also used to have a monthly donation go to the RTC but I stopped it when it stuff happened (including the guy who did most of the communicating leaving) and none of it was communicated as far as I know.  I think they owe this type of transparency to their supporters.  Things happen and people leave for lots of reasons, not every detail needs to be shared but the high level stuff should be.  "John Doe has left the RTC to continue his career at XYZ, he did great things when he was here, and we wish him all the best.  Thanks for your efforts, John - we will miss you!".  How hard is it to communicate basic info?  Organizations do it every day.  First class organizations also have goals, plans, budgets, boards of directors, meetings, minutes, etc.  I am an outsider, but in my view the Wisconsin RTC needs to become a first class organization in order to receive the type of attention and support and success that it desires. 

CityGuy

I agree Paul and Hornbuckle solid takes. Hope the powers that be take notice and implement

imwi

Anyone hear anything about keeping Barnett around to help out with the RTC?

factfinder

Quote from: Wrestling Guru on January 12, 2024, 04:01:38 PMHarris, I could not agree more with your posts.  The lack transparency and success is something that needs to be addressed.

I want the badger wrestling program to be successful but right now it is not.

Ben Askren as head coach puts us top 5 in the next 5 years. 
Why do you think this? He would have to end his business and the NCAA would watch his connection with the AWA clubs to make sure there is not tampering. And would the AWA produce good athletes 5 years after he is gone? Is Ben a National draw?
Would Ben be able to raise 2 million a year? that would be the number one criteria for success? It doesn't have that much to do with what you can teach for an hour and a half a day.

hornbuckleb

Quote from: factfinder on April 04, 2024, 06:04:44 AM
Quote from: Wrestling Guru on January 12, 2024, 04:01:38 PMHarris, I could not agree more with your posts.  The lack transparency and success is something that needs to be addressed.

Why do you think this? He would have to end his business and the NCAA would watch his connection with the AWA clubs to make sure there is not tampering. And would the AWA produce good athletes 5 years after he is gone? Is Ben a National draw?
Would Ben be able to raise 2 million a year? that would be the number one criteria for success? It doesn't have that much to do with what you can teach for an hour and a half a day.

What! ???  :P

charteroak1

I would suspect Ben spends half of his day doing podcasts and promoting his brand and half AWA related things.  Most certainly Ben is a National draw. I would think most HS kids know more of him than most D1 coaches.  They see him on Flo constantly, as well as being at every large scale tournament.  As far as the $2 mil a year, if I recall on the statistic that was previously posted only the Nittany Lion Club had income like that.  The RTC is brining in some good money and we still can't keep guys around to train post graduation.  Nothing against Garrett, but I would rather see the $ spent on bringing in a big name folk/freestyle coach that can get in and work with the UW guys as well as hopefully a few post grads and club kids.  This would help with recruiting I would think.  It seemed to have worked when Ben was the RTC Coach and things were going well.  My question then goes to, how are we spending the $300,000+? As a donor it would be nice to know. 

Gonzo1

I'd take Ben in a heartbeat if the position opened up and he was interested. Max could run the academy and Ben could still have a supporting interest in it. He would at least have a better draw for all of the in-state kids we are not getting.

Ghetto

Quote from: hornbuckleb on April 04, 2024, 06:17:57 AM
Quote from: factfinder on April 04, 2024, 06:04:44 AM

What! ???  :P

It's more than coaching at practice. It's being a sales guy, a PR guy, etc. There's way more to coaching college wrestling than just coaching the group.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

asdf

Quote from: Healthy and happy on April 02, 2024, 08:38:04 AM
Quote from: CityGuy on April 01, 2024, 02:54:26 PMTransparancey hasn't improved in the slightest. Anyone else see how much WIRTC is spending? Felters dropped some IRS numbers on X. Wish they could bring in someone to clean the RTC up and use the money the collected...
Although I wasnt there, I heard that Coach Bono, with full transparency discussed how the RTC money was being used at the raffle/fund raising event this winter.  I am sure there are more than a few posters here that can confirm this and enlighten us, especially CityGuy.  Clean up the RTC?, a strong negative assumption there my friend

Still would love to hear from someone that was at this fundraising event this winter to shed some light where the RTC is headed.  Or even from Bono/Reader/Gross/Model themselves.

-No Wisconsin RTC athletes at the last chance OTT today.
-No Badger Wrestlers at the OTT today.
-No Badger recruits at the OTT today. 
-Nearly every Big10 school and/or RTC had representation today there.  Believe UW and MSU were the only ones not there or did not have a recent graduate represent.  Not Big Ten, but Arkansas RTC had 5 athletes(and only .5 points behind UW this year at nationals). 
-Off Felter's posts--Much lesser placed financial RTC's were there today, but no WI RTC.
-Seeing they had no athletes, I assume UW staff were not there using this opportunity to gets time with some of the best high schoolers and college athletes in the nation.
-AWA had multiple athletes perform well there.  Seeing these AWA high schoolers brawl against guys many years older then them is impressive.  It will only get them more prepared for their collegiate career. Get mad at Ben/Max all you want, but their high school club acts more like an RTC then the WI RTC is right now.

-I did get a Facebook sponsored Ad for a  "FTW wrestling club" wrestling out of Milton high school, with
Seth Gross listed as one of the 2 coaches of the club...so Badgers got that going for them.

hammer

I want from the program is a sense of pride through out the state. To hear positive things coming from the Badgers. Bono to be more seen and out in front leading the charge. Wisconsin must be the only state that a club coach has the final say in the program. Name another state that that a club owner has as much say in a college program other than Wisconsin!