At Northwestern 1-9-15

Started by leg turk, December 31, 2014, 11:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

Any predictions?  I hope we have a full team... I think the wildcats were ranked around 18th the last time I looked.

149,  Tsirtsis #1
165,  Charger #6
197,  Polizzi, #9
Hwt, McMullen #1

21-12. Bucky

sadpanda

I must concur, Turk. If Bucky goes with same line-up they had at Nebraska, 21-12 is most likely outcome. Might be closer if Mildcats pick up an upset or two, but FF 174 is big handicap to overcome when wrestling a good team. There will be some good match-ups! See you there!
no bat-dads please

leg turk

Quote from: sadpanda on December 31, 2014, 08:59:47 PM
I must concur, Turk. If Bucky goes with same line-up they had at Nebraska, 21-12 is most likely outcome. Might be closer if Mildcats pick up an upset or two, but FF 174 is big handicap to overcome when wrestling a good team. There will be some good match-ups! See you there!

They don't have a 174 lb'er?

hammen

Quote from: leg turk on January 01, 2015, 10:10:46 PM
Quote from: sadpanda on December 31, 2014, 08:59:47 PM

They don't have a 174 lb'er?

Correct. With the injury to Brill, Ben Sullivan now moves down to 157 and they are redshirting Sebastian. I believe NW has a roster cap of 24 or 25. Tough to have depth when injuries occur, and it's probably in the best interest of Sebastian to RS. Correct me if I'm wrong with any of this sadpanda.

MAGMA

During the Minnesota/Northwestern dual I thought the annoncers said one of NW's 157 pounders was moving up after January 1st.

wrestle03

hammen

Quote from: MAGMA on January 02, 2015, 11:09:43 AM
During the Minnesota/Northwestern dual I thought the annoncers said one of NW's 157 pounders was moving up after January 1st.

Although the announcers may have said this, I'm nearly positive that is not correct. I believe they are forfeiting 174 the rest of the season.

MNbadger

And just exactly how many matches would a college 157 pounder win at 174?  This is a silly suggestion.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

leg turk

Quote from: MNbadger on January 02, 2015, 11:26:07 PM
And just exactly how many matches would a college 157 pounder win at 174?  This is a silly suggestion.
David Taylor could do it :)

MNbadger

What are you saying?  Are you referring to David Taylor of Penn State?  He was a 165 pounder his last three years I believe.  If my memeory serves me (and I couls be wrong) he was at 157 in 2010-2011.
If a wrestler is certified at 157, he is not going to win any big ten matches at 174.  If he grows a great deal over a year or two that's something different.  He then will likely be a certified 174 pounder, certainly not a 157 pounder
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

leg turk

I'm saying David could weigh 157, and still beat many 174 lb'ers.

MNbadger

I certainly disagree.  I think he would have been beaten by average 174 pounders. Do you think he cut that weight for fun and gigles?

MNbadger

Do you think Ness could bet Storley?

OldAbes72

Quote from: MNbadger on January 03, 2015, 05:10:36 PM
Do you think Ness could bet Storley?

Depends how many times Storley takes the elevator instead of the stairs! 😃

WW_1995

I think talented Athletes can bump up one, even two weights in some cases and beat 'average' (by D1 standards) guys, but wouldn't really stand a chance against the cream of the crop in the weights.  One example I can think of recently which has a bit of relevance, Iowas backup 174 - Alex Meyer bumped up two weights to 197 and beat Michigan States starting 197 lber.  Even J'den Cox of Mizzou wrestled at Hwt a bunch this year and even beat a top 12 opponent, maybe multiple at the time. which I would say it comparable to bumping up two weights, as 197 to Hwt can often be a 60-70 lb leap for some competitors.