WIWrestling.com Rankings UPDATED Edition #5 Posted 1-13-16

Started by TomM, January 13, 2016, 12:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

WIWrestling.com Rankings Edition #5 Posted 1-13-16
The latest Wisconsin Wrestling Online Rankings for Individuals and Teams Number 5; January 13, is posted!
Rankings are online at www.wiwrestling.com under RANKINGS (drop down menu).
Send your suggestions/comments to the Wisconsin Wrestling Online Ranking Staff at:
wiwresrankingstaff@wiwrestling.com .
http://www.wiwrestling.com/wiwrestling-com-rankings-edition-5-posted-1-13-16/
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

MarkK

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

missinghome

Grappler

i got to think that a couple of those 160s will move up or down

missinghome

I'm pretty sure one of the 2 rapids kids ranked at 160 has to go up or down?

DarkKnight

Do you figure Acosta drops??? Acosta did wrestle 126 lbs  last season, I haven't seen him yet but he must be able to get to 154 lbs without too much difficulty.

I figure Acosta would be the favorite at 152 if he drops.

Rapids having 2 stud 160 lbers cant be a bad thing, can it?? keep them guessing.... ha.

did Dylan Hall wrestle Cheesehead?? I didn't look but that would tell me where he might of went.

Easy mistake to make when kids move around...There is a lot of wrestlers out there to keep track of.

half-lb-over

Jose Acosta is a great wrestler, he has a legit shot at 145, 152, or 160 IMO.  The rankings are fun to look at, but have many obvious flaws.  Not sure if those doing the rankings want to rank wrestlers from their areas unfairly high or what the deal is.  I have seen several wrestlers ranked lower than wrestlers they not only beat, but beat soundly. It will all play out when they wrestle of course, but it is kind of a slap in the face to better wrestlers getting under ranked. I will not name any wrestler over ranked or under ranked (IMO) as every kid listed on the site is exceptional.  I guess my point is I'd be pissed off if I were a wrestler being under ranked or over looked.  I'd print these rankings and tape them on my wall for motivation.   

Mustang Fan

I have saw it first hand as a parent how under ranking can inspire a wrestler to excel to do his best. I would not want the job of doing the rankings because you can never please everyone's opinion. Thanks again to the ranking comm for what you guys do!!

Jeff Farrell

I did a test this past week, submitting a short list of observations to the ranking "committee", with all but one of recommendations for wrestlers from a school district that I do not live in. Some of these recommendations were for head to head matchup results (for example Burlington HWT beating Elkhorn HWT, yet still ranked lower than Elkhorn HWT), while others were casual, yet logical observations of a couple of ranked wrestlers that probably dont belong (because they have lost multiple matches to unranked opponents this year).  It is apparent to me that this information was not used, read, or considered for the rankings this week.

Why post a link asking for information and recommendations, and not use it, especially the head to head wins?

CLC FAN

Jeff, interesting experiment to say the least... I do notice that of the only two you mentioned specifically, Elkhorn HWT did drop two spots.  Burlington HWT did not surpass him - which seems a little suspect.  Perhaps there are strange  "x beat y but lost to z who y beat" scenarios happening.  Or it's just a conspiracy and the "link" to the "rankings" "committee" sends an e-mail to nobody! 

If you're up for it, it would be cool to have you list exactly what you sent and see exactly what happened (or didn't happen) with it.  I know the rankings will never be perfect, but if they are willfully ignoring good input... that is something else.

Stripes

I think you have to take into account that the rankings committee looks at the overall body of work. Just because A beat B on Thursday doesn't automatically mean A should be ranked higher than B. In my opinion, you need to look at quality wins, quality losses, and suspect losses. The elkhorn heavy beating Burlington is a nice win, but if he has losses to other non ranked or lower ranked wrestlers, he shouldn't jump him.

Jeff Farrell

Good Idea CLC, but not going to share names beyond the obvious example provided previously.

Stripes....if you can't use head to head.....ahhh forget it, I'm not going to get into that fight / debate, my head would be spinning by the end of it.

scrub4life1234

Quote from: DarkKnight on January 13, 2016, 05:48:08 PM
Do you figure Acosta drops??? Acosta did wrestle 126 lbs  last season, I haven't seen him yet but he must be able to get to 154 lbs without too much difficulty.

I figure Acosta would be the favorite at 152 if he drops.

Rapids having 2 stud 160 lbers cant be a bad thing, can it?? keep them guessing.... ha.

did Dylan Hall wrestle Cheesehead?? I didn't look but that would tell me where he might of went.

Easy mistake to make when kids move around...There is a lot of wrestlers out there to keep track of.
Quote from: Napoleon Dynamite on January 13, 2016, 07:57:18 PM
Acosta tested for 145. Not sure if that is where he goes, but there's a chance, nonetheless.
Quote from: half-lb-over on January 13, 2016, 11:53:05 PM
Jose Acosta is a great wrestler, he has a legit shot at 145, 152, or 160 IMO.  The rankings are fun to look at, but have many obvious flaws.  Not sure if those doing the rankings want to rank wrestlers from their areas unfairly high or what the deal is.  I have seen several wrestlers ranked lower than wrestlers they not only beat, but beat soundly. It will all play out when they wrestle of course, but it is kind of a slap in the face to better wrestlers getting under ranked. I will not name any wrestler over ranked or under ranked (IMO) as every kid listed on the site is exceptional.  I guess my point is I'd be pissed off if I were a wrestler being under ranked or over looked.  I'd print these rankings and tape them on my wall for motivation.   

Why has Jose only wrestled at the OTW? He also MF to Schierl in the finals. Why is that? Is there something wrong or what?