Appreciate what we have

Started by bkraus, January 06, 2015, 10:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkraus

Here's a trip down not so good memory lane about the 70's and 80's Packers.  Good read to appreciate what we now have.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/the-sorry-years-b99418952z1-287342561.html
Strive for Perfection

bigG

I think those of us who lived through it do take the time to remember the turbulence.

Love our team now.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DrSnide

Always try to reinforce this with my boys.  They have never known GB to not have a hall of fame quality QB - when I was my oldest son's age 20 I never knew what a good Packer team was because I was too young for the Lomabardi years.  Amazing to think about how great of a run this has been.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

littleguy301

I know and fully understand that the Packers have been a blessing for half of my life. I remember the 80's and the really late 70's and it wasnt good except for a few years with lynn dickey.

I live close to the metro and to listen to them talk about the minnesota teams, I feel lucky that both the Pack and the Badgers for the last 20 years, minus a couple of down years, have been top teams in their respective leagues. Nice to have that comfort.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bkraus

LG, I feel the same way when I listen to the Score about the bears and Illinois.  it is a blessing to know what we have, but also good to remember where we came from.

Some caller on the score yesterday actually said he is sick of the "magic horeshoe" that Rodgers has and it is time for him to stop being lucky all the time!   ;D
Strive for Perfection

Ghetto

Quote from: bigG on January 06, 2015, 11:12:09 AM
I think those of us who lived through it do take the time to remember the turbulence.

Love our team now.

I remember the bad old days for sure. 8 wins was a huge year. Anyone remember the game against Tampa Bay where they had a LB (Wingo?) kicking because they missed like five FGs that day? I think the Packers had like 500 yards of offense but couldn't score.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

ramjet

Lynn Dickey
Jon Stenrud
McCarthur Lane

Brings me back.

Ghetto

I think Tom Birney was the kicker that day. Maybe he got cut then? I'll have to look it up. I seem to remember some LB kicking for them that year, but maybe it was after.

I'll look it up while I'm "planning".

Ghetto

http://packerupdate.net/?p=18771 if you'd like more Packer sadness...

1] K Tom Birney (1979-1980/13 starts) – Prior to last season, fans weren't satisfied with Mason Crosby because he was converting only 78% of his field goals. Well, this guy converted only 75% of his extra points. Believe it or not, he made only 21 of 28 PATs in parts of two seasons with the Packers. His low point was choking on two short field goals against the Buccaneers in 1980. The first miss came at the end of regulation and the second occurred with just seconds left in overtime. He was ultimately replaced by Jan Stenerud. Talk about an upgrade.

bkraus

I believe John Anderson did some kicking for the Packers around that time as a savior.  Maybe that was it.
Strive for Perfection

bkraus

Quote from: Ghetto on January 07, 2015, 02:44:17 PM
http://packerupdate.net/?p=18771 if you'd like more Packer sadness...

1] K Tom Birney (1979-1980/13 starts) – Prior to last season, fans weren't satisfied with Mason Crosby because he was converting only 78% of his field goals. Well, this guy converted only 75% of his extra points. Believe it or not, he made only 21 of 28 PATs in parts of two seasons with the Packers. His low point was choking on two short field goals against the Buccaneers in 1980. The first miss came at the end of regulation and the second occurred with just seconds left in overtime. He was ultimately replaced by Jan Stenerud. Talk about an upgrade.

Was just about to post off the same website!  lol  ;D
Strive for Perfection

ramjet

John Brockington I think his wife worked at channel 2 or 5 or 11 in Green Bay.

Not familure with that kicker umm memory going ummm.......what?