All-Time Top 1st Round Packer Draft Picks

Started by futurerichguy, April 26, 2013, 08:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who were their best picks?  You get three choices.

1957 Paul Hornung
1961 Herb Adderley
1963 Dave Robinson
1978 James Lofton
1988 Sterling Sharpe
1989 Tony Mandarich
2005 Aaron Rogers
2009 Clay Matthews
2013 Datone Jones

futurerichguy

Write-Ins welcome.  Negative comments concerning Tony Mandarich will not be tolerated.

Drivingforce

Hornung, Rodgers and Sharpe. Sterling Sharpe was the best receiver the Packers ever had. His numbers per year were better than anyone else's which is remarkable because he was double and triple teamed most of the time. Played in the era with several other greats, Rice, etc. He was regarded at that time as the second best receiver in the league behind Rice. Too bad the neck injury ended his career so early. He'd be in the HOF as he was a far superior player than Michael Irvin. Lofton would have been my other choice but Sharpe was better.

Kjohnson

Tony Mandarich was not a bad draft pick, everyone had Akman, Sanders, Manarich going 1,2,3. Who ever would have been in the 3rd spot would have taken Tony.  Just like a few years back when Manning and Leaf were 1 & 2. Whoever was in the 2 position would have taken the one left.

Ghetto

I also picked Hornung, Rodgers, and Sharpe.

Mandarich was a bust for the Packers. There's no way around it. You can't sensor me!

He did have a serviceable career but never lived up to the massive hype he had to follow.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigoil

Write in- Brett Favre.

Rodgers, Sharpe as well.

I'm sure my father would have said Herb, Hornung, Robinson.

Drivingforce

Quote from: howavi on April 26, 2013, 06:17:30 PM
Write in- Brett Favre.

Rodgers, Sharpe as well.

I'm sure my father would have said Herb, Hornung, Robinson.
Favre was a second round pick by Atlanta. We did trade a late first for him the next year. But he really wasn't a first round pick.

bigoil

We used our 1992 first round on him though.