Fishing gear for summer

Started by bigG, December 27, 2013, 03:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

I was just at gander, which is usually a rip off, but picked up a nice GM Virtex cheapie medium action pole for $15. Then I went to Farm n Fleet and picked up two of the cheaper Shimano reels (I've had one of these cheapies for about 10 years now and it's been problem free) for $11 each. Also got one of the better light action reels for another $25. The deals are out there if you want to think summer.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jeast

Love Gander!  Favorite store.

My problem with cheaper reels is that they wear out so fast.  I buy a decent, not top of the line but decent reel and within a year, two at the most...it is literally worn out.  Reels don't last long for me.  Although I still own every reel I have ever purchased. (30 or more?)

Shimano makes a decent reel.  I have several.  All worn out. 

Of course most people don't fish for 8 hours straight two or three days a week, all year long either...so I am really not complaining, just stating facts.  Reels don't last too long.  If I can get two good years with no problems, that's a good reel.

"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

bigG

They all have plastic gears. I usually buy the Shimano mid-line stuff. I have different reels and rods for different jobs. Love brookie fishin' with ultralights, smallmouth with medium and northern/musky with heavy.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DrSnide

Quote from: bigG on January 02, 2014, 01:06:37 PM
They all have plastic gears. I usually buy the Shimano mid-line stuff. I have different reels and rods for different jobs. Love brookie fishin' with ultralights, smallmouth with medium and northern/musky with heavy.

Yeah I'm a Shimano mid line guy also - but I tend to only go once a week at best so it make more sense for me.  Love, just love, my ultralight with 2lb test for panfishing.  Get a nice size gill on there and you can see how those sunnies are in the bass family.  My son caught a good sized northen on his ultralight last years - that was quite the adventure.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

imnofish

I have had great luck with the long (9 ft.) crappie rod found at Farm and Fleet, a small Mitchell open face reel, and light superlines (Powerpro 10 lb. test, but small diameter).  I have caught plenty of nice crappies, but have easily handled bass up to 5 lbs. and pike up to 12 lbs. on this rig.  Shopping the winter sales made it affordable as heck, too. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!