Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: 145Firemanscarry on Today at 07:05:46 AMMy 2 cents:

To basically circumvent current rules in place that protect coaches and student/athletes from the "more, more, more" mentality and say that Greco & Freestyle is different , I believe is irresponsible.

As a high school coach of 30 years that had wrestlers consistently qualify and place at the State tournament, I have a different view regarding that some coaches vote against the idea of having more contact time  - and it's not because they "don't want to look bad" compared to neighboring communities.

I contend that maybe some coaches are capable of getting great results in the time that they work with their wrestlers from Nov - March.  And in reality, if you're not able to move the needle with regard to in-season success during that time, then maybe you need to look in the mirror and reassess what and how you're doing business.

I also believe there is value, which I saw through the years with some of our wrestlers, in the Greco/Freestyle wrestling. However , instead of being in the practice room in the Spring/Summer, rely on your in-home club to deliver the coaching, practice , strategy, etc.... This allows your high school coaching staff to get the natural time-away break from their athletes as well as the athletes getting a break from their coaches. That's a good thing!!  And, the kids are still getting exposure to the positive benefits of what Greco/Freestyle wrestling offers.

More time together with their high school athletes is a slippery slope.  I believe it puts undo pressure on the athlete to do "more" and that's not a good thing.  It's ok to tell kids to take a break, be a kid, enjoy/experience other things than wrestling.  We'll get together again in Nov. and work hard through March!

Again , this is my view, but it's based on high-level success through the years. And, success was achieved through not only hard work in the practice room, but also by teaching our athletes the value of being a good team mate, good student, being ethical , not taking short cuts, etc...core value type of things.  You can do all of this from Nov - March and have your wrestlers reap the benefits..."more" time together is not the simple answer nor is it the "right" answer from where I stand.

Respectfully,

Success without "more"

I don't disagree with what you said. However, with the proliferation of the wrestling schools in the last 10 years and the amount of kids that go to these schools make it much tougher to be successful only going from Nov-March. Wrestling from Nov-Mar will be great for kids looking to just fill out the lineup, but the majority will not advance past Sectionals and if they do, probably won't have much success in Madison. I tell our kids that I totally support them to do other activities because I think that's great. But also,  we don't have kids that can afford the schools or the means to even get to them if they somehow can afford them. I want them doing other sports so they aren't just sitting around until next season.
WIWrestling Main Forum / Re: Pairings
Last post by half nelson - Today at 03:55:51 PM
A fun look at numbers.  D1 Sectional B has the returning Team State Champion and Team State Runner up

The teams in this sectional had 35 State qualifiers last season - 20 of those qualifiers placed (4 champs, 7 2nd place, 2 3rd place, 2 4th place, 2 5th, 3 6th)
The annual UW-Stevens Point Day of Giving is a week away. Once again, we are hoping for your support to help us hit our mark of $8,000.

Over the last 6 years, UWSP Wrestling has been consistently the second leading group on campus for raising funds on the Day of Giving and leads the Athletic Department.

The D.O.G. is next Tuesday, May 7th. We look forward to your support of Pointers Wrestling. You can find the giving page here: https://give.uwsp.edu/g/uwsp-athletics-payment-page-test-sp-2024

Thanks for your support!

Sincerely,
Johnny Johnson
Head Wrestling Coach
WIWrestling Main Forum / Re: Pairings
Last post by rankwizard - Today at 10:14:10 AM
A change will happen in the future.

For now we will ride this current system- we are used to it and provides plenty of good storylines come regional time.
My 2 cents:

To basically circumvent current rules in place that protect coaches and student/athletes from the "more, more, more" mentality and say that Greco & Freestyle is different , I believe is irresponsible.

As a high school coach of 30 years that had wrestlers consistently qualify and place at the State tournament, I have a different view regarding that some coaches vote against the idea of having more contact time  - and it's not because they "don't want to look bad" compared to neighboring communities.

I contend that maybe some coaches are capable of getting great results in the time that they work with their wrestlers from Nov - March.  And in reality, if you're not able to move the needle with regard to in-season success during that time, then maybe you need to look in the mirror and reassess what and how you're doing business.

I also believe there is value, which I saw through the years with some of our wrestlers, in the Greco/Freestyle wrestling. However , instead of being in the practice room in the Spring/Summer, rely on your in-home club to deliver the coaching, practice , strategy, etc.... This allows your high school coaching staff to get the natural time-away break from their athletes as well as the athletes getting a break from their coaches. That's a good thing!!  And, the kids are still getting exposure to the positive benefits of what Greco/Freestyle wrestling offers.

More time together with their high school athletes is a slippery slope.  I believe it puts undo pressure on the athlete to do "more" and that's not a good thing.  It's ok to tell kids to take a break, be a kid, enjoy/experience other things than wrestling.  We'll get together again in Nov. and work hard through March!

Again , this is my view, but it's based on high-level success through the years. And, success was achieved through not only hard work in the practice room, but also by teaching our athletes the value of being a good team mate, good student, being ethical , not taking short cuts, etc...core value type of things.  You can do all of this from Nov - March and have your wrestlers reap the benefits..."more" time together is not the simple answer nor is it the "right" answer from where I stand.

Respectfully,

Success without "more"
Quote from: Barou on Yesterday at 04:22:36 PMCan we put Bono in the transfer portal?
;D  ;)  :)
Quote from: charteroak1 on Yesterday at 10:31:08 AMI don't see Lettini or Talshahar in the portal as of yesterday.  I believe today is the deadline. 
I saw both of them on the Portal list today.  Check Flowrestling.
Quote from: Ledger on Yesterday at 06:08:20 PMMasomi from Wartburg would be a good 197lber for UW.  Bono won't pick him up.

That would be a good pick up. I wonder how hard it is to transfer into Wisconsin.
Bono's promises mean nothing.  He's a good used car salesman and nothing more.  He cant and hasnt backed up anything he said or promised when he was hired.  That wont change anytime soon and his record of past performance is very indicative of future performance.  "Next year" is gonna be a long long long year.  We will see how many of you guys in love with him are still on board after the pathetic showing to come next year.  I tell it like it is and if someone dont like it tough.