The Rifleman

Started by TomM, February 29, 2016, 03:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

The Rifleman
TV Series (1958–1963)

What is there for kids to watch today... similar to The Rifleman? A show that, basically, teaches lessons in life and some good behavior etc.
Just wondering....

A kid in Madison for the wrestling tournament was beaten up this weekend out crossing a street while walking behind his group of friends.
There were some cars coming. Evidently he put his hand up to 'stop the cars', then touched the hood of one car. Some 'men' jumped out of two vehicles and beat the tar out of the kid and then drove away. The kid needed stitches at the hospital.
This is terrible and should not have happened.
No excuse for 'men' to behave/act/react this way.

Meanwhile....
I am also wondering what SOME kids are thinking.
Three times this weekend in Madison, twice while slowly negotiating parking lots and once turning at a street corner I found myself frustrated with the overt behavior of children, while their parents or some adults who appeared to be with them were in close proximity.  All three times a male 'child' (approximately middle school) basically stood in the roadway or walked 'ultra slow' intentionally blocking traffic, staring down the driver, basically being publicly disrespectful and discourteous and challenging the driver(s) on the roadway/parking lot.
I can imagine how this raises the ire of some 'adults' and kids would be putting themselves in a position to be a target.
All three of these 'kids' were wearing wrestling t-shirts from other Wisconsin cities, so most likely from 'out of town'.

Who or when or where are some 'kids' learning manners and good behavior? Just wondering.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

neutral

I don't think there are lots of tweeners.

Either kids learned manners and proper respect from their parents ... or they don't.

IMO - the next biggest responsibility of parenting ... after putting a roof over their heads, clothes on their backs, and food in their stomachs - and easier to do than those ... and requiring no money.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

SuperDuck

Quote from: neutral on February 29, 2016, 05:58:25 PM

Either kids learned manners and proper respect from their parents ... or they don't.

IMO - the next biggest responsibility of parenting ... after putting a roof over their heads, clothes on their backs, and food in their stomachs - and easier to do than those ... and requiring no money.

Yeah, but even then, good kids that age are going to act like clowns if they're with a group of kids their age.  Especially when their in 6th-8th grade.  Those kids are the worst.  Always.  At least boys are.  They're super arrogant, they know they're untouchable and they're so easily influenced. They're also so insecure they're going to go along with the group. 

So I'm not surprised they were acting like little punks.  I AM surprised two adult males got out of their car and beat up a kid given how they are up in Madison.  You bump into a guy with a shoulder and that's felony batter. 

I think it's usually around 11th grade or so that they start to act more independently(especially if they're confident...the one upside from the participation trophy).   

ramjet

Quote from: SuperDuck on February 29, 2016, 07:46:22 PM
Quote from: neutral on February 29, 2016, 05:58:25 PM

Yeah, but even then, good kids that age are going to act like clowns if they're with a group of kids their age.  Especially when their in 6th-8th grade.  Those kids are the worst.  Always.  At least boys are.  They're super arrogant, they know they're untouchable and they're so easily influenced. They're also so insecure they're going to go along with the group. 

So I'm not surprised they were acting like little punks.  I AM surprised two adult males got out of their car and beat up a kid given how they are up in Madison.  You bump into a guy with a shoulder and that's felony batter. 

I think it's usually around 11th grade or so that they start to act more independently(especially if they're confident...the one upside from the participation trophy).   

BS they are good or they are not......that's a big issue kid acts stupid and some folks say "he is a good kid just made a mistake "  BS more than likely that kid acts like that on a regular basis. All too often kids face no real consequences for poor behavior. No I am NOT talking about spanking them or even raising a hand to them. But early on if you establish high standards kids will live up to them. If you settle for low standards kids will live down to them. Too often Parents just expect good behavior without really defining boundaries. Boundaries that are not verbalized do not exist in a kids mind. I know too many decent responsible, respectable young adults/kids those I know do not act like this and have no desire to do so and actually stay away from those who do. They do not act like that under any circumstances. So please do not make excuses or down play poor behavior as kids being kids that's total BS. If they are so weak they follow some jerk then I would say they are a jerk.

Flame away.

bigG

Gotta have norms set by competent leaders. Be those leaders parents, teachers, another kid who has a grasp on maturity, whatever. Okay,  maybe not whatever.

Keeping Up with the Kardashians has plenty of life-lessons.

I'm an Andy Griffith addict. And, I also wonder what kind of TV we have with the crap on these days. Guess we'll have to hope real-life experiences provide those lessons.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

littleguy301

Ya I am as mad as a hornet because the discontinued the H2 channel!!!!!!!

Now History channel is all reality and it sucks!!!! I am so sick of reality TV!!!!

I want cities of the under world, lost history, more Henry Rollins, why the states got their shapes, Mob stuff and so on. Now I get all this junk.

I really dont want to come home from work and watch a show about some other ham and egger at his job, seriously I dont!!!!!!!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

woody53

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 20, 2016, 10:17:39 PM
Ya I am as mad as a hornet because the discontinued the H2 channel!!!!!!!

Now History channel is all reality and it sucks!!!! I am so sick of reality TV!!!!

I want cities of the under world, lost history, more Henry Rollins, why the states got their shapes, Mob stuff and so on. Now I get all this junk.

I really dont want to come home from work and watch a show about some other ham and egger at his job, seriously I dont!!!!!!!
Agree so much.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

imnofish

Yep; sick of reality tv.   :P    Shows like The Rifleman and Andy Griffith are still the best.  As for kids acting like jerks:  There have always been a percentage of them who do that.  Some learn from their mistakes and become better adults, while some become adult jerks.  Good parenting goes a long way toward helping them make good choices, but it's still not a guaranteed inoculation against bad behavior.  Parents need to do their best, in order to put the odds in their favor, though.  What about lousy parents whose kids somehow grow up to be better citizens than they are?  How do we explain those?  Life gives no guarantees, unfortunately.  That's why each person (adult or child) must learn to be responsible.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

MNbadger

Late to the party but....

Andy Griffith Show.  The best show EVER in my opinion.  Still just as funny today as ever.  Well written, well done, great characters/character development.  Nothing else comes close. 
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

bigG

That's my favorite; but many shows had ethical dilemmae for kids to ponder that didn't involve skin, drugs nor booty. I love shows like Impossible Engineering and How It's Made.

I see many good kids, every day. Lucky.

littleguy301

What really got my craw in a dander was the H2 is not now about history. Man I looked forward to that channel and those shows!!!!!

Now they seem to be going the gay/lesbian way in some shows. Not trying to be political here by any means. Hey I am all for that programing but I find no reason why that community or any community of people cannt show me cities of the underworld!!!! or how the states got their shapes, or 10 facts you didnt know.

Man I just want some good old fashion history and now that H1 is a reality channel I am out of luck!!!!!!!

Now I find that there arent many shows that I like!

Hogans Heros, black sheep squaderan, wild wild west and where have you gone scooby doo!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigG

Loved those. James West was BA.

I agree about H2. What a waste of TV space.

I don't know why the change of pace; but, whatever. Just TV.

imnofish

Planning on camping up north all summer this year.  My wife is cool with us doing that, on the condition that we finally spring for satellite tv up there.  One thing that I have always enjoyed about being there is the escape from today's sorry tv programming.  Now, we will get to pay for it TWICE.:P
Oh well; at least she will be entertained on the occasions when I'm fishing and she isn't. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

imnofish

Quote from: MNbadger on April 17, 2016, 08:30:47 AM

Andy Griffith Show.  The best show EVER in my opinion.  Still just as funny today as ever.  Well written, well done, great characters/character development.  Nothing else comes close. 

Definitely agree with you about this! 

MarkK

Quote from: imnofish on April 18, 2016, 09:15:16 AM
Quote from: MNbadger on April 17, 2016, 08:30:47 AM

Definitely agree with you about this! 

My all time favorites include the Andy Griffith show and the Dick Van Dyke show.  I wore them out on Netflix.   Now I'm looking for a show that comes somewhat close in that mold.   I'm thinking maybe
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin