This is sad and too bad...

Started by TomM, October 23, 2014, 02:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Olympic hero Rulon Gardner mementos up for auction
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Olympic-hero-Rulon-Gardner-mementos-up-for-auction-5841609.php

I may not be the best guy in the world at organizing my life, but holy buckets, ol' Rulon must rarely see a bad path he doesn't want to try...
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

Big bumber. Sounds like he has the right attitude.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

Sad to see him go through this.  My nephew spent some time with him at Bruce Baumgartner's heavyweight camp a few years ago and says that Rulon is really a great guy. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

Sure comes across as a genuine person.

maggie

how can a person like this let something like this happen/...i just can not understand it...
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

bigG

If I won the lottery or came into a lot of money, I could see me overdoing. But, I'd pay somebody to give me the SkinBracer slap when I need it.

Handles II

My guess is that some of this is related to depression. It makes sense that he not only over eats, but also over spends. Fleeting joy followed by more pain because of it.

imnofish

As much as we like to believe otherwise, we really are not in control of our lives to the extent that we perceive. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

TomM

Quote from: imnofish on October 24, 2014, 11:13:40 AM
As much as we like to believe otherwise, we really are not in control of our lives to the extent that we perceive. 

WHAT?

8)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

dman

I am with Tom....HUH???   ???

bigoil

Many that come into money (not sure he did but somehow racked up that much debt) will be misguided or fleeced, duped, etc. Rulon sure comes across as very trusting I could see this happening.

imnofish

Quote from: dman on October 24, 2014, 11:59:39 AM

I am with Tom....HUH???   ???

We like to think we are in control of our lives, but the degree of control that we actually have is much less than we think.  Stuff happens that is outside of our control.  All we can do is try to respond to those events to the best of our abilities. 

npope

Your life is what you perceive it to be - and that occurs only within your mind - and that is perhaps the only thing you truly control.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

imnofish

My point is that stuff happens that is outside our control.  What he can control is how we respond to what happens and what steps we take going forward.  Yes, choose your attitude!