UWL Suspending All Travel, including sports teams

Started by crossface21, March 11, 2020, 10:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossface21

I've seen this on various twitter feeds, including the UWL Mens Track and Field page. The university is suspending all non-essential travel, including sports teams. This would include the wrestling team I'm assuming. If true, that really sucks.

From ESPN La Crosse:
DEVELOPING STORY: UWL men's track and field coach Josh Buccholtz says the school has suspended all non-essential university travel due to coronavirus concerns, meaning the indoor T&F teams will not compete in the NCAA tournament. In addition, the gymnastics and wrestling teams will miss their championships and the baseball, softball, and tennis teams will miss their spring break trips and competitions.

I know this should be in the DIII thread, but figured it would get more views here. Feel free to move Tom.

GradeTough

I wonder when other institutions and organizations will follow. Haven't heard anything if the WWF kids tournament is being considered for delaying or cancelling.

Wrestling Novice

One would think that wrestling would be the first sport to take a hit due to the nature of the beast.  Wondering what Dominate in the Dells will do?

kpugh8680

NCAA is considering not allowing fans to watch March Madness, so this is not surprising. Didn't even think about Dominate being cancelled, need to do it soon.

littleguy301

Ne t week the NCAA wrestling and basketball will kick off.

I did read an article about cancelling the basketball. Cannt remember the sports feed.

I dont know what should be done. I am sure the coronia is nothing to laugh at be can it be defended or recovered from?
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigG

Most cases haven't been deadly; but it does seem fatality rates are higher than the flu strains we've been experiencing. I believe there is now a confirmed case in Osceola, so it seems to be getting closer to home, thus UWL's response.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DuckDuck

The travel ban has been lifted. The wrestlers are able to to go to Cedar Rapids.

crossface21

bigG

I didn't hear that. It was announced on local news last night that UWL is cancelling nonessential travel. I'd love to see the teams travel, but worry as the virus seems to be coming closer to home. Hard thing to weigh in on. Too many variables.

ramjet

This is really a good listen and will educate you on this situation with science not rumor and innuendo.

https://youtu.be/E3URhJx0NSw

bigG

littleguy301

Quote from: bigG on March 11, 2020, 02:15:18 PM
Most cases haven't been deadly; but it does seem fatality rates are higher than the flu strains we've been experiencing. I believe there is now a confirmed case in Osceola, so it seems to be getting closer to home, thus UWL's response.

Actually osceola closed school because some one from another town was in the school that was confirmed with a case of this.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigG

Hope that's the only one; but this spreads pretty easily, so you can't blame the admin. of Osceola for doing what they did. I'm sure our CDC will come up with something.

qbit

Quote from: ramjet on March 12, 2020, 08:33:34 AM
This is really a good listen and will educate you on this situation with science not rumor and innuendo.

https://youtu.be/E3URhJx0NSw

Excellent analysis by a real expert. Unfortunately unless the narrative fits peoples foxnews/msnbc politics most won't get past their biases.