Divisions

Started by dforsythe, February 29, 2024, 10:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

Quote from: hornbuckleb on March 07, 2024, 11:02:27 AMCould be wrong and doubt it would ever get passed, but I have heard 1 division individual tournament is in the works to be proposed  :o

Not sure if we ever see that but I think a 2 division format would work.

I would support a 1 division state individual but would also love to see a 3 division team state with 8 teams and placing to 6th!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

rankwizard

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 07, 2024, 11:34:48 AM
Quote from: hornbuckleb on March 07, 2024, 11:02:27 AMCould be wrong and doubt it would ever get passed, but I have heard 1 division individual tournament is in the works to be proposed  :o

I would support a 1 division state individual but would also love to see a 3 division team state with 8 teams and placing to 6th!

Agree, saying you got 3rd place at team state or 4th place at team is much better than saying you just got to team state.

Could start Team state on a Friday morning or early Friday afternoon instead of evening

CoachO

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 07, 2024, 10:01:40 AM
Quote from: Scramble_king on March 06, 2024, 03:00:44 PM
Quote from: Numbers on March 05, 2024, 08:32:58 PMMy guess is the only way to go to even divisions with 16 each division to state is to drop from 14 to 12 weight classes.

Well they lied to us when they said there wasn't enough room for boys to have 16 in each division at state, and then added girls. The WIAA will do whatever they want.

Yes they did!

3 division for boys equal size like 112 schools per division, 16 person brackets and double elimation. If you look at the time frame not an issue to do so since we went to 8 mats. By the way I remember being told the kohl's couldn't fit 8 mats at one time. Strange how that works!
I have been around long enough to remember the WIAA (Wade) telling us equal divisions can't happen because of the concern of 8 mats and floor space and the time constraint the extra wrestling would cause for UW. It was an almost yearly statement at the WWCA convention when coaches brought it up. Fast forward to the year after the first girl's tournament and the first time the boys were seeded. At the convention, the WIAA tells us that the attendance was way down on the Thursday night of the first-seeded boys tournament and they felt it was because there were no longer any of the super matchups in D1 quarters. They hoped that by adding the girls, attendance on Thursday would go up. So they found room for two more mats and an entire division after years of saying adding more wrestling and more mats was not possible. End result, Thursday was announced as a sell-out this year. Really funny how that worked out.   

CoachO

Attendance is booming with three divisions and girls. The more schools the more tickets sold. I'd be completely shocked if they contracted divisions at the individual level. Also, the quality of wrestling in Wisconsin is still pretty good as you move down from D1. I just can't see the WIAA moving away from one of the only money-maker state tournaments they have, and it is a huge money-maker. They still have softball at 5 divisions even though baseball is now technically 4 with cutting summer ball. Still 7 football divisions with 8 player booming. Just not in their nature.

rankwizard

we are not going to one division.... No need to. We love the opportunities the kids get with the current division set-up.

Also they wouldn't be trying this competitive balance thing if contracting number of divisions was even a topic of faint consideration.

littleguy301

Quote from: CoachO on March 07, 2024, 02:03:24 PM

Attendance is booming with three divisions and girls. The more schools the more tickets sold. I'd be completely shocked if they contracted divisions at the individual level. Also, the quality of wrestling in Wisconsin is still pretty good as you move down from D1. I just can't see the WIAA moving away from one of the only money-maker state tournaments they have, and it is a huge money-maker. They still have softball at 5 divisions even though baseball is now technically 4 with cutting summer ball. Still 7 football divisions with 8 player booming. Just not in their nature.

Totally agree with what you said. I didn't go into the whole but I agree that 3 divisions and 14 weights are going to pack in the people.

I still don't understand not wrestling for 3rd place or expanding to 8 teams and wrestling for 5th. Blows my mind actually!

O yea I should have said 1 division and 48 man bracket!

MNbadger

Three Divisions
State divided into 8 sections for each division.
Weekend I
  Team Sections 8 Section Champs=8 teams in state bracket for each division.
Weekend II
  Individual Sections 2 qualifiers per weight=16 man bracket per weight per division.
Weekend III
  State Tournament
  Thursday Team State, all divisions
  Friday/Saturday Individual State, all divisions
It has worked great for a long time folks!
Anytime any of you want to come watch, I'll host you if you wish.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

littleguy301

Quote from: MNbadger on March 07, 2024, 09:17:47 PMThree Divisions
State divided into 8 sections for each division.
Weekend I
  Team Sections 8 Section Champs=8 teams in state bracket for each division.
Weekend II
  Individual Sections 2 qualifiers per weight=16 man bracket per weight per division.
Weekend III
  State Tournament
  Thursday Team State, all divisions
  Friday/Saturday Individual State, all divisions
It has worked great for a long time folks!
Anytime any of you want to come watch, I'll host you if you wish.

Probably be there next year. I will take you up on that but a parking pass would be slick also ;D

rankwizard

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 07, 2024, 08:07:05 PM
Quote from: CoachO on March 07, 2024, 02:03:24 PM

Totally agree with what you said. I didn't go into the whole but I agree that 3 divisions and 14 weights are going to pack in the people.

I still don't understand not wrestling for 3rd place or expanding to 8 teams and wrestling for 5th. Blows my mind actually!

O yea I should have said 1 division and 48 man bracket!

48 man bracket, place 16 would be something cool. seeding wouldn't be any more chaotic than it currently is. I like the crowning of state champs in 3 divisions right now tho