Badgers under Bono

Started by Hungus, February 11, 2023, 05:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vsmf2010

If you are down and want to feel a little better about things check out the Iowa forum. Iowa NCAA champ Jay Borschel is saying it is time to "Rebrand". Not a happy group over there.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/fire-brands.415242/

https://twitter.com/jayborschel/status/1636790647750553601?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1636790647750553601%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

bigoil

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 18, 2023, 04:24:11 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on March 18, 2023, 01:04:01 PMI love Hamiti.  He is fun to watch with his loose, go for broke style, his long reach, quickness, ability to contort his body and his pinning arsenal.  However, he seems a bit tentative against the top wrestlers and I don't think he has ever reversed a loss yet in five tries.  Marinelli (2x), Amine (3x), Griffith (2x) and Monday (2x), I think have all beat him more than once and he has also lost to Carr and O'Toole.  So all his losses are to top guys and I don't recall any bad losses.  I was hoping he'd break through to top three but he took sixth again.  Hoping he can take a leap next year.

It is strange how he looks different against certain top guys but I think there is progress through out the season and even today. Last year at the Big Tens he beat Kharchla in SV and this year he destroyed him.

Even though he was 0-2 today I think there was significant progress in both of those matches. He made a mistake against Quincy and got his arm trapped for that tilt but he was able to take him down which he did not do at the Midlands and that seemed to me how he needs to wrestle to beat those guys. I thought he was the better wrestler for most of that match. The more exchanges he creates the better.

He really was not in the match against Griffith last year and he was right there today. He was really close on first takedown that wasn't but he wrestled the style I think he needs to wrestle. A few technical mistakes and he got caught on the switch because Griffith did a nice job of splitting the legs and elevating but I like his movement.

I think if he wrestles that way he will beat Amine next time. Amine is able to really slow him down which is not good for him.
How was that not a TD? Heck TW even put up 2 on the dashboard, ref waves himself off?

Hawkisms

Quote from: wrestling for fun on March 18, 2023, 10:17:24 AMOn the bright side, Bono did recruit Tanner Sloan to SDSU, who is now a national finalist and vaulted SDSU over Wisconsin in team standings last night. 
Bono can recruit quality.  Development may be a concern.

You are 100% spot on. My kid wrestled for bono and reader. They are very good at recruiting. They can sell snow to an Eskimo, but that is where it ends.

Ghetto

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 18, 2023, 04:27:37 PMIf you are down and want to feel a little better about things check out the Iowa forum. Iowa NCAA champ Jay Borschel is saying it is time to "Rebrand". Not a happy group over there.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/fire-brands.415242/

https://twitter.com/jayborschel/status/1636790647750553601?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1636790647750553601%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

I want to personally thank you for putting this here. Made my day better.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

mike

Quote from: mkm13 on February 15, 2023, 09:00:23 PMOtoole got smoked tonight. Does that mean he didnt improve at Missouri?

Your punishment for this comment is best of 10 takedowns vs Keegan for $100 per takedown then picking your kid up from your club practice with AWA shirt on

Ghetto

I predicted O'Toole would win it.

Super smart. Attacked rather than sat back and let Carr take it to him. He's a generational talent. Why anyone would scramble with him is completely beyond me.

I know these are totally different size guys, but I'd love to see him and Gross wrestle in the practice room. It would be next level stuff.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Razor Ramon

Here something to think about. If Amos and Hamiti redshirt next year, is there a possibility that they look for a change and transfer? It's happened to UW before with Howe and Rutt...

Healthy and happy

Quote from: Hawkisms on March 18, 2023, 05:33:34 PM
Quote from: wrestling for fun on March 18, 2023, 10:17:24 AMOn the bright side, Bono did recruit Tanner Sloan to SDSU, who is now a national finalist and vaulted SDSU over Wisconsin in team standings last night. 

You are 100% spot on. My kid wrestled for bono and reader. They are very good at recruiting. They can sell snow to an Eskimo, but that is where it ends.
After watching the NCAA Finals and listening to the champions talks, it became clear that the mentality and drive of the student athlete is as important or more important than the role of the coach.  Uber talented wrestlers like Alirez from UNC (and O'Toole for that matter) will be highly highly successful no matter what school they were at.  They likely just need some fine tuning of their skills and a competitive disciplined culture, their God given ability can do the rest

harley25

Quote from: novice wrestler on March 21, 2023, 01:28:34 PM

After watching the NCAA Finals and listening to the champions talks, it became clear that the mentality and drive of the student athlete is as important or more important than the role of the coach.  Uber talented wrestlers like Alirez from UNC (and O'Toole for that matter) will be highly highly successful no matter what school they were at.  They likely just need some fine tuning of their skills and a competitive disciplined culture, their God given ability can do the rest

I just cannot buy into this theory but this is just my opinion

kmoc33

Quote from: novice wrestler on March 21, 2023, 01:28:34 PM

This is an interesting statement. I am not saying I agree or disagree. But I would say you mentioned a competitive disciplined culture. I say that is the coach that the rest of the statement kind of downplays.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: Razor Ramon on March 20, 2023, 10:05:58 PMHere something to think about. If Amos and Hamiti redshirt next year, is there a possibility that they look for a change and transfer? It's happened to UW before with Howe and Rutt...

I don't really see a correlation. Is there any indication that Hamiti or Amos are unhappy at UW?

I though they left, in part(large part) due to Donnie leaving. I don't see Reader being shown the door anytime soon.

dad 2 5

I would think Reader has to be taking calls to get his own gig and if he is not Bono is not doing his job developing him as a coach.

BadgerOne

Quote from: Razor Ramon on March 20, 2023, 10:05:58 PMHere something to think about. If Amos and Hamiti redshirt next year, is there a possibility that they look for a change and transfer? It's happened to UW before with Howe and Rutt...

Bono won't redshirt guys who can start.

BadgerOne

Quote from: dad 2 5 on March 21, 2023, 05:59:58 PMI would think Reader has to be taking calls to get his own gig and if he is not Bono is not doing his job developing him as a coach.

I'm not sure Reader wants a head coaching job.  I think he prefers being Bono's top assistant.  Some guys just don't want to take on all the duties and responsibilities of head coach.

Healthy and happy

Quote from: BadgerOne on March 22, 2023, 12:41:46 AM

Bono won't redshirt guys who can start.
It probably goes deeper than that.  Aren't their scholarships limited to like 9.9 and planned out into the years to come?   Some guy may have to pay their own way if they redshirt?