weak regional

Started by thequad, February 11, 2017, 06:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thequad

Omro regional has 8 wrestlers moving to sectionals with loosing records plus one with a .500 record!
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

Numbers

Quote from: thequad on February 11, 2017, 06:48:09 PM
Omro regional has 8 wrestlers moving to sectionals with loosing records plus one with a .500 record!

Positive spin :  8 wrestlers from the Omro Regional have chance to beat the odds next weekend at Sectionals and qualify for the Individual State Wrestling Tournament!

CoachZ

Look at the D3 Phillips regional at 220.

imnofish

Quote from: Numbers on February 11, 2017, 07:38:12 PM
Quote from: thequad on February 11, 2017, 06:48:09 PM

Positive spin :  8 wrestlers from the Omro Regional have chance to beat the odds next weekend at Sectionals and qualify for the Individual State Wrestling Tournament!

+1  Saying the regional was weak does cast a negative light on the accomplishments of those kids.  I doubt that any disrespect was intended, though.  Perhaps those kids showed vast improvement lately.  At any rate, congrats to them for seizing the opportunity in front of them.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

wrastle63

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

The Phillips regional was absolutely ridiculous. 220 had 1 wrestler and 160 and 195 each had 2. 43 wrestlers in the whole regional. an average of 3 per weight class

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

Yea, Crivitz was even worse. Only 39 kids total. 106 and 113 had one each

wrastle63

Biggest reason we should go to super regional or some other form.

Kyle

Quote from: Brett Favre on February 11, 2017, 11:08:33 PM
The Phillips regional was absolutely ridiculous. 220 had 1 wrestler and 160 and 195 each had 2. 43 wrestlers in the whole regional. an average of 3 per weight class

Yes it was a very weak regional, but you forgot to mention that there were three ranked wrestlers at 113. A pretty good wrestler ended his career today.
Kyle

Kyle

Quote from: wrastle63 on February 11, 2017, 11:24:19 PM
Biggest reason we should go to super regional or some other form.

What does the weak regional hurt? We are struggling for numbers. Who gets hurt by this?
Kyle

Flatbottom

In a short time, that same regional from Omro (meaning the teams there yesterday) will have some nice wrestlers in a couple years.   The Winneconne team had 2 returning sectional qualifiers with 30+ wins last year not compete because of injury along with 3 others who were out because of grades or injury.   Omro was missing a couple of their better wrestlers as well.    It is what it is.
I'm not a product of my environment my environment is a product of me

thequad

The Denmark regional had 21 wrestlers with winning records staying home. Freedom could easily have gone to Omro. That's a lots of wrestlers that worked hard all season to build a good record and now they have to watch lesser wrestlers where they could have been!
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

DocWrestling

It would not be that hard at all to use projections for next year based on this year's results to space out teams better at regionals especially in D2 and D3

Why can't regional assignments be performance based if the geography is not bad!
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

mhsfan2

These 21 kids from Denmark regional were they going to beat the 1st placers from the other 3 regionals in there sectional? Regionals are just preliminary sectionals to thin the heard a little. I can think of a few boys from that regional that will compete with the best. Only 3 leave Sectionals.

greysquirrelmobile

We have the same discussion taking place in two threads.  Ram had a great idea in another thread to cut regionals from Four to two and then take the top 4 individuals and top 2 teams to sectionals.