Wautoma/Wild Rose coaches

Started by marshman, February 22, 2015, 09:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshman

Way to represent Ian Zertler and Adam Vaughan.  They had a wrestler get slammed and the referee awarded a penalty point. The trainer would not let the wrestler continue. Coaches Zertler and Vaughan did the right thing and had the opposing wrestler awarded the win to allow him to continue on to chase a state berth. I've witnessed too many coaches not make this choice even though it is the correct one.  The kid ended up securing his state berth. I witnessed a member of his family thanking Vaughan and Zertler with tears in his eyes. Way to represent the sport, your schools and our town. Class acts.

andrewn5

Good to see. Never been a huge fan of the slam rule, gets called too much IMO. You can be a lot rougher in greco and freestyle and its completely legal.

marshman

I agree about being called too much but I believe in this match the call was correct. That makes what the coaches did even higher on the integrity scale.

MHSfan

Great job on the coaches and wrestler's. I think a similar situation happened at the State Tourney maybe 2 years ago. A Marshall kid. Hate to see ff on State brackets because a kid can't continue after a mishap.

shift

That would be correct..  Josh Murray from Marshall gave 3rd place to John Roddick from Sparta when he very well could have easily took 3rd by injury default...

maggie

It's nice to see, but let's keep in mind the rule was put in place for a reason and not give kids any reason to hope otherwise, nice gesture...
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Quack

Quote from: shift on February 22, 2015, 10:32:11 PM
That would be correct..  Josh Murray from Marshall gave 3rd place to John Roddick from Sparta when he very well could have easily took 3rd by injury default...

Funny how some times things get forgotten a few years later when the shoe is on the other foot.
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

Ty Clark

Quote from: maggie on February 22, 2015, 11:22:01 PM
It's nice to see, but let's keep in mind the rule was put in place for a reason and not give kids any reason to hope otherwise, nice gesture...

Exactly, maggie. While it is a nice gesture from the Wautoma coaches, if the slam call was legitimate and the trainer did not let the wrestler continue, then the disqualification should have been enforced by the official. Allowing otherwise sets a bad precedent and puts other coaches and wrestlers in a bad spot in the future. When we applaud this, we are causing an unfair expectation for others to follow suit. It's really a tough situation for all involved, especially if the slam was purely accidental but called correctly. If it were a questionable/bad call (which people are saying it was not... I don't know, since I was not there.), I would be singing a different tune.
"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got."
-Mark Twain

maggie

--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Mack

Right or wrong, I just thought it was nice to read a sincere props to a coach.  Initially, I was bracing myself for one of those long, drawn-out posts, where the poster unleashes their fury in the form a sarcastic compliment. 

No.  Props to you, Marshman.   :)

CoachZ

Quote from: Ty Clark on February 23, 2015, 09:22:23 AM

Exactly, maggie. While it is a nice gesture from the Wautoma coaches, if the slam call was legitimate and the trainer did not let the wrestler continue, then the disqualification should have been enforced by the official. Allowing otherwise sets a bad precedent and puts other coaches and wrestlers in a bad spot in the future. When we applaud this, we are causing an unfair expectation for others to follow suit. It's really a tough situation for all involved, especially if the slam was purely accidental but called correctly. If it were a questionable/bad call (which people are saying it was not... I don't know, since I was not there.), I would be singing a different tune.

In a world where we hear so much about cheating and doing the wrong things to gain a advantage in sports. Two coaches do a good thing and people have to knit pick at it! Can't we just applaud a positive gesture? I coach and after reading what happened, I feel no pressure to do the same, if the situation would present itself. Well done Ian and Adam.

marshman

Quote from: CoachZ on February 23, 2015, 12:00:07 PM

In a world where we hear so much about cheating and doing the wrong things to gain a advantage in sports. Two coaches do a good thing and people have to knit pick at it! Can't we just applaud a positive gesture? I coach and after reading what happened, I feel no pressure to do the same, if the situation would present itself. Well done Ian and Adam.
Right on Coach Z.  Ty and Maggie, if what these guys did sets a bad precedent I would hate to see what a good precedent is in your eyes. These guys did what was right for the sport and the kid. They could have taken the easy way and said rules are rules, ending the kids day. if someone in the future is pressured by this shame on them

Ty Clark

Quote from: marshman on February 22, 2015, 09:11:03 PM
I've witnessed too many coaches not make this choice even though it is the correct one. 

It is this line. It's technically not even a choice that CAN be made, let alone the correct one to be made. And if it is the correct one, why is the disqualification the mandated resolution? Why isn't it if the kid can't continue, the other kid automatically gets to move on?

It's just too much of a slippery slope. If you are behind, just slam the kid. The coach will be pressured into giving you the win and let you move on. If they don't give you the win, the kid and coach will be booed and ostracized. After all, you just declared that it would be "wrong" to follow the rules. (Think about the Kohl Center booing a few years back when the kid won state because of a slam call. Whether people were booing the kid or the official is debatable.)

Like I said, if it is a bad call or very questionable, I would be on the other side of the fence. I don't think what the coaches did was wrong by any means; I just think we need to be careful of what we wish for.
"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got."
-Mark Twain

padre

I don't think ANY or at least very few coaches would do this in the case of a close match.  However, this was not a close match and the kid that did the slam was a senior.  I was kind of surprised the match didn't continue as the Wautoma wrestler looked like it would and then all of a sudden it was called and the slam was very unintentional.  In this case I think many coaches would do this but one sure shouldn't take it for granted.  The wrestler who got the win had beaten a very highly ranked individual earlier in the day and then won the wrestleback to state.