Kelly Bires tonight on ESPN 2

Started by millert, June 09, 2007, 11:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody53

Quote from: dad 2 5 on September 23, 2009, 04:27:09 PM
They are going to try to get him in the 5 car at least once this season. hope so
JR Motorsports has sponsorship to have the #5 car in 20 of the 27 Nationwide Series events. It would be nice to see Kelly in the car yet this year, but the probability is slim because of the dollar amount of sponsorship, and what is already commited to Junior, Mark Martin, Tony Stewart, Ryan Newman and Scott Wimmer. There is always hope something will come up though. He is suppose to have one more ride in the #33 of KHI.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

dad 2 5

Scott Wimmer (Wausau) is in the #5 car this weekend. I was hoping to see Kelly at Rokcford this weekend but I think he is a little busy :)

millert

From start and park to a ride in Dale Jr.'s stable

Bires excited about opportunity to race for wins again

By [ http://www.nascar.com/news/opinion/david_caraviello ]David Caraviello, NASCAR.COM
October 1, 2009
10:42 AM EDT

[ http://www.nascar.com/drivers/dps/kbires00/truck/index.html ]Kelly Bires hated it, but he knew he had no other choice. With no steady ride and no sponsor behind him, he did the only thing he could to make sure people saw him at the race track as much as possible. He drove a start-and-park car.

He did it a few times, actually, filling the gaps between events with regular Nationwide Series teams like Braun Racing, Kevin Harvick Inc., and the JTG Daugherty team he drove for during all of 2008. For a driver who had finished inside the top 10 six times last year, it was clearly a galling experience. But the sponsorship market was tough. Full-time rides were difficult to come by. So he swallowed his pride and made a few starts in cars that were clearly going nowhere but right back to the garage area.

"I can tell you there's nothing fun about starting and parking from a racer's standpoint," said Bires, a 25-year-old from Mauston, Wis. "There were some I had to do. There were some where I felt like if I could get in the car and qualify really well, extremely well, then maybe that would turn a couple of heads and show some people what I could do. They weren't fun at all. It was just part of the deal this year that I had to do. I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore."

Not for the foreseeable future, at least. Last month Bires signed a two-year deal with JR Motorsports to succeed [ http://www.nascar.com/drivers/dps/bkeselow00/truck/index.html ]Brad Keselowski, who is moving to the Sprint Cup tour with Penske Racing next season. For Bires, it's a welcome relief from the purgatory of career limbo, which began last year when sponsorship woes beset his program at JTG. Completing the 2008 season with a patchwork of sponsors, he still managed to finish 13th in points in his first full campaign on NASCAR's No. 2 circuit.

But he was nervous about 2009, and with good reason. Bires, a former go-kart and late model standout who moved to the Charlotte area in 2004 to further his NASCAR career, couldn't have timed it worse -- his climb up the career ladder coincided with an economic recession and consequent sponsorship shortage that hit the Nationwide Series particularly hard. So far in 2009 he's made 12 starts with five different teams, some of them powerhouses like KHI, and others shoestring outfits in it for a check.

Bires has managed a pair of top-five finishes, one more than he had in all of last season, but has been running at the finish only three times. He hasn't raced since Atlanta on Labor Day weekend. As of Wednesday, he wasn't listed on the entry list for Saturday's event at Kansas Speedway.

"It's probably one of the toughest years of racing that I've had to go through," Bires said. "Just going to the race track, [finishing] only three or four times so far this year, but doing what I had to do to stay alive and stay strong. Just the opportunity that came aboard here with JR Motorsports, I can't explain how excited I am about it with the emotional roller coaster I've been on. But to know I have something in place for the next two years, that's a tremendous relief."

Bires' best result this year was a fourth-place finish at Nashville in a KHI car. He's made two starts this season for Harvick, and has another slated for Oct. 24 at Memphis. But the timing just wasn't right to try and put together a full-time deal for 2010.

"Kevin came to me and helped me out, believed in my ability and was really cool about it and gave me an opportunity to get in a top-notch car," Bires said. "They just didn't have anything full-schedule for next year for the time being. And JR Motorsports came to me ready to go, locked and loaded. It's a no-brainer. Both organizations are extremely well-put-together. Nothing against KHI. But this opportunity for me at JR Motorsports, it was a no-brainer for me at the time."

Now, he's on the brink of quite the career turnaround. Only a few months ago, Bires was a driver desperate for a ride, and willing to slide behind the wheel of almost any car he could find. Beginning in February, he'll be at the controls of a vehicle capable of winning the Nationwide championship, and see his profile rise because of his association with NASCAR's most popular driver. Is he ready for the scrutiny that will follow?

He believes so. For Bires, the most difficult part has been just getting into the car.

"The hardest thing for me in this sport has just been to get in a race car," he said. "The performance on the track to me is the easiest part. The part of driving the car is the easiest part for me. It's just been, the time when I got into the sport here, it's been difficult to get into race cars without proper funding or proper sponsorship. It was just bad timing. But to be able to drive for Dale Jr., a great guy, I've known him for pretty much all the years I've been in NASCAR, and relate to him in a lot of different things. He definitely believes in my ability."

Tom Miller
Mauston Wrestling
"I Must Dictate The Dream"  bergy
"I must dictate the dream"  bergy

millert

The 2009 Kelly Bires Fan Club Banquet is set for Friday, December 4th at Chula Vista Resort.  Those of you who attended last year will know what a great time it was.  We can assure you this year's banquet will be even better.  The menu will stay the same, with the exception of replacing the roast beef with a honey glazed ham.

Banquet only tickets will not be available this year however.  ONLY KBR Fanclub Members will be permitted to attend.  We are hoping to grow membership to 200 plus this year and that will just about complete the allotted number of GOLD MEMBERS.  Once a gold member, you will always be a GOLD MEMBER, as long as you renew your membership.  As a GOLD MEMBER you showed Kelly support when he needed it most and will be entitled to some great KBR offers in the future.

Some of you have yet to send in your renewals for 2009.  You can download an application off of the website at www.kellybires.com

We really want to fill up Kelly's banquet this year to show him the support he deserves and congratulate him on his new deal with Junior Motorsports. It is truly an exciting time at KBR, but we need you to help us fill up the banquet.  Pass the word to every KB fan you know.  The prices for the fanclub have been reduced this year and we will have some very exciting door prizes offered that evening.

If you are planning on staying at Chula Vista resort for the banquet and have not yet reserved your room, you should do so.  We have a block of rooms under Kelly Bires Fan Club.  Mention our reference number of 936732 for the special room rate.

http://www.chulavistaresort.com/

Tom Miller
Kelly Bires Fan Club
www.kellybires.com

Tom Miller
Mauston Wrestling
"I Must Dictate The Dream"  bergy

dad 2 5

I heard he may run Memphis with ASA in November. Is that true? It would suprise me if he does but it would be fun to see.

woody53

Quote from: dad 2 5 on October 17, 2009, 03:48:30 PM
I heard he may run Memphis with ASA in November. Is that true? It would suprise me if he does but it would be fun to see.
I heard that too awhile back. Haven't had a chance to follow up on it. Maybe Tom can confirm it or not.

woody53

Next weekend is going to be a great weekend. Kelly gets to run 250 miles at Memphis in a KHI car and I will run 200 miles in two races at Blackhawk Farms Raceway, in my old car. Being a racer, we sometimes have some strange superstitions. Both of us haven't run many races this year because of the economy. But in the past, when we have run the same weekend, we both have done well. Lets hope tradition keeps going.  :D

dad 2 5

woody53

Quote from: dad 2 5 on October 18, 2009, 04:24:34 PM
racing the MCSCC both days?
You bet. Running the car in G-Production on Saturday and then ITD on Sunday. The Looong Race weekend is one of the few times I can do this. Sounds like you are familiar with Midwestern Council.

dad 2 5

Hope you have good rides both days! I hang around the oval guys a lot throughout Wi and Rockford and know some of the real drivers (road guys). I see Kelly is listed along with Travis, Scott, and Matt so WI has a good group if all make the field. 

millert

Fan Club applications are available online at www.kellybires.com

Includes awesome banquet dinner at Chula Vista Resort with Kelly. Join
Now!!!!!!!!!!

Media Contact: Alicia Deal | Kevin Harvick Inc.
336.992.2998 office | 336.602.4100 mobile
EMAIL: ADeal@kevinharvickinc.com

Kelly Bires
No. 33 Copart Chevrolet Impala SS
Team Race Preview
NASCAR Nationwide Series Race 32 of 35 – Memphis (Tenn.) Motorsports Park

MEMPHIS BLUES: This weekend the NASCAR Nationwide Series will roll into
Memphis for the Kroger On Track for the Cure 250 at Memphis Motorsports
Park where Kelly Bires will make his final start of the season for Kevin
Harvick Inc. (KHI) in the No. 33 Copart Chevrolet. In two previous starts
this season for KHI, Bires earned one top-five (fourth-place at Nashville
Superspeedway) and two top-10 (Nashville and 10th-place at Kentucky)
finishes. His fourth-place finish at Nashville (Tenn.) Superspeedway
marked his career-best finish in NASCAR’s top three series of competition.

In two previous starts at Memphis, Bires has earned a 14th and 18th-place
finish.

AUTOGRAPH SESSION: Bires will participate in the NASCAR Nationwide Series
autograph session on Friday night from 6:15 to 7:15 p.m. EST following the
final Nationwide Series practice session. The autograph session is open to
all season ticket holders.

FINAL FOUR: With four races remaining in the 2009 Nationwide Series
schedule, Bires will climb in the driver’s seat this week at Memphis
(Tenn.) Motosports Park, followed by team co-owner Kevin Harvick at Texas
Motor Speedway and Phoenix International Raceway before Ryan Newman closes
the season at Homestead-Miami (Fla.) Speedway.

BEFORE THE RACE: QUOTES WITH DRIVER KELLY BIRES:
Knowing that Ron Hornaday has won the last two Truck Series events at
Memphis Motorsports Park in Kevin Harvick Inc. equipment, do you approach
this track differently or with higher expectations? “I really don’t
approach it with higher expectations, but I feel like we have a definite
advantage to be able to use the notes that the truck teams have built and
apply it in any way we can to the No. 33 Copart Chevrolet.~ Ernie (Cope,
crew chief) and the guys do an outstanding job with the NNS program, so I
expect us to keep the ball rolling for KHI at Memphis.”

What are your expectations this weekend as you make your final start of
the year for KHI? “Expectations are very high.~ Kevin, DeLana, and
everyone at KHI have given me everything I need to get the job done.~ We
have had two good races already and really look forward to putting
everything together and executing on all ends.~ If we do that, I believe
we have a great shot at bringing home a victory.”~

What makes Memphis Motorsports Park a unique track? “The track is worn
out, bumpy and there’s a lot of beating and banging. Sometimes, it’s more
of a survival race. It’s also an opportunity track for new racers in the
series. You see a lot of cars run the Memphis race that don’t race with
the NNS every weekend, so you have to figure out how to race those people
as well.”

~-more-

CHASSIS HISTORY: This weekend the No. 33 Copart team will unload chassis
No. 042 for Bires at Memphis Motorsports Park. This chassis was last on
track at Richmond (Va.) International Raceway where Kevin Harvick had a
strong second-place finish after starting the race from the 18th position.
Prior to Richmond, this chassis raced at Michigan International Speedway
where Harvick started the race from the ninth position, ran in the top 15
all day and earned a fifth-place finish. Other appearances by this chassis
this season include Kentucky Speedway with Bires behind the wheel
(preparing to qualify the car, Bires lost control in turn four getting
ready to take the green and was forced to a back-up car for the race) and
Lowe’s (N.C.) Motor Speedway where Harvick started the race from the
eighth position and finished 23rd in the rain-shortened May event (170 of
the scheduled 200 laps were complete). Earlier in the season, Harvick
piloted the chassis at Auto Club Speedway where he started the race from
the ninth position and finished second followed by Las Vegas Motor
Speedway where he started from the second spot and led 41 laps before
getting caught in a multi-car accident on lap 105, dropping the team to a
29th-place finish.

PREVIOUS RACE RECAP: The NASCAR Nationwide Series was last on track at
Lowe’s Motor Speedway where Ryan Newman returned to the driver’s seat of
the No. 33 Hungry-Man Chevrolet. Newman started the race from the 15th
position and ran most of the race in the top 15 before making his way as
high as second late in the race. Fighting a tight car, Newman slipped
several positions in the final 20 laps to cross the finish line in the
seventh spot. The finish marked Newman’s third top-10 finish in the No. 33
KHI Chevrolet in four Nationwide Series starts this season.

ARE YOU A FOLLOWER? Twitter users can now keep up-to-date with Kevin
Harvick Inc.’s NASCAR Nationwide Series by following at
http://twitter.com/KHI_NNS. In addition, you can follow KHI’s Truck Series
teams at http://twitter.com /KHI_TruckSeries. Want more from KHI? Follow
KHI’s co-owners Kevin and DeLana Harvick at
http://twitter.com/kevinharvick and http://twitter.com/delanaharvick.

ONLINE MEDIA KITS: Media members can now access KHI media kits online at
KevinHarvickInc.com. Included on the site are driver bios, driver and team
images, KHI history and statistics, team profiles and schedules. Please
contact Alicia Deal (adeal@kevinharvickinc.com) at KHI for access to the
new site.

About Copart
Copart, founded in 1982, sells more than 1 million vehicles each year
online for insurance companies, banks, finance companies, fleet operators,
dealers, the general public and others. Copart’s extensive inventory
allows buyers to browse more than 50,000 vehicles each day.

About Kevin Harvick Inc.
Kevin Harvick Inc. (KHI), established in 2001, is a 70,000 sq. ft.
facility located in Kernersville, N.C. KHI houses two full-time Truck
Series teams,~including the 2007 series champions. The No. 33 team is led
by three-time Truck Series champion Ron Hornaday and the No. 4 team is
comprised of Ricky Carmichael, the most successful motocross racer in
American history, and a variety of NASCAR Sprint Cup stars.~KHI is also
home to the No. 33 Nationwide Series team competing full-time with drivers
Kevin Harvick (a two-time Nationwide Series champion), 2008 Daytona 500
champion Ryan Newman and Ron Hornaday.~The 2009 season marks KHI’s sixth
year of full-time competition in NASCAR’s elite divisions.~Visit
www.kevinharvickinc.com for more information.~

[Image]

Tom Miller
Mauston Wrestling
"I Must Dictate The Dream" bergy

millert

Looks like Kelly will be making his first appearance for Dale Earnhardt Junior the last race of the season at Homestead.  Kelly will drive the #5.

woody53

Quote from: millert on October 23, 2009, 09:08:34 AM
Looks like Kelly will be making his first appearance for Dale Earnhardt Junior the last race of the season at Homestead.  Kelly will drive the #5.
That's what many of us were hoping to hear.
Thanks Tom.

dad 2 5

How did things go at Blackhawk for you this weekend? How long did it take to get the oil warm enough to race with? Hopeful no one jumped on it too early and touch their motor.

woody53

Things went very well if I must say. Won my class both days. Cold and wet on Saturday morning was quite the treat, and yes there were two blown oil lines that resulted in some track clean up and major winter work ahead for those involved. The little 1600  Ford engine, once warmed up, performed great. I got to within two one thousands of my fastest time in my old car and it has been five years since I drove it.