Team State NOPIN projections

Started by CLC FAN, March 02, 2015, 02:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLC FAN

NOPIN projections for D1 Team State 2015

Quarters                                             Semis                                        Finals

Kaukauna over Burlington                          
         37   -   24
     81% Confidence

Hudson over Cedarburg                Kaukauna over Hudson                                  
         37   -   25                                40   -   22                                                    
     79% Confidence                         87% Confidence                        Kaukauna over WI Rapids                                    
                                                                                                          40   -   22
WI Rapids over Pewaukee             WI Rapids over Stoughton                      89% Confidence
         32   -   29                                31   -   31
     52% Confidence                         50% Confidence

Stoughton over Sauk Praire
         39   -   22
     87% Confidence

CLC FAN

NOPIN projections for D2 Team State 2015

Semis                                                            Finals

Ellsworth over WI Lutheran
       35    -   26
     72% Confidence
Actual: 37 - 27          

Freedom over Ellsworth
                                                               37   -   24
Freedom over Sparta                                  81% Confidence
       38    -   24                                 Actual: 34 - 15
     82% Confidence
Actual: 40 - 27

CLC FAN

NOPIN projections for D3 Team State 2015

Semis                                                            Finals

Spring Valley over Random Lake
       44    -   17
     96% Confidence
Actual: 37 - 22

Coleman over Spring Valley
                                                               32   -   29
Coleman over Fennimore                             52% Confidence
       37    -   25                                     Actual:  SVE 40 - 27
     79% Confidence
Actual: 45 - 34

CLC FAN

NOPIN is a dual meet prediction system designed for Team State duals.  It is a tweaked version of what Koy Kosek published in his WI Wrestling Digest in 2008.  Going back to 2007 (the first year 3rd place wrestlebacks were allowed at Individual State... also known as the modern era of wrestling) NOPIN is

26-6 in predicting the winners in D1 Quarters
12-4 in D1 Semis
7-1 in D1 Finals

11-5 in D2 Semis
5-3 in D2 Finals

13-3 in D3 Semis
7-0-1 in D3 Finals

NOPIN's input variables are 1) The highest finish earned by each team's 14 regional starters.  Did they take 4th at sectionals, not place at regionals, 1st at state?  2) The APS of the entire sectional that produced the team state qualifier.  3) The past results at team state of each program.  Do they have a winning record at team state?  Are they team state virgins?  Have they ever won a dual at team state?

The percent confidences are based on past results.  So in the past, when NOPIN projected a team to win 38-24, how frequently did that team win and how close were the scores to the actual result?

If you think NOPIN is crazy... call it out!  Complete a state bracket for all 3 divisions and see if you can beat the computer!

Mack

CLC.  You are very smart, but I think I might have the edge.

I put the teams through my computer and came up with this:

Everyone healthy + all heads are in the game + excited to be at state + haven't ticked the ref off lately = The winning team

Your formulas are okay, but I like to use a little more science.

:)

Orca

I wish that they would add in farmer strength/mentality into the equation. I am sure that this would help several Wisconsin teams.
What was hard to bear is sweet to remember

npope

Until the "pull the sword out of" the Ellsworth team I can't concede the D II title to anyone else. Like the "300: Rise of an Empire," I have the distinct impression that the team is greater than the sum of its parts; wrestling as a team generates some unexpected energy by that group. And yes, I know that looking at a straight head-to-head match up with one or two of the other D II teams puts Ellsworth on the wrong end of the poop stick, but geezzz, it just seems like Ellsworth rises to the occasion more often than not; very unpredictable in a dual setting.

I felt the same about Rapids during their "hey day." How they ever beat that River Falls team that had something like six individual finalists in their lineup is beyond me. That team was simply not to be denied.

Guess we'll see soon enough. Good luck to all of the teams going for a title here at the end.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

swconvert

Ellsworth is strong because they understand difference bewteen wrestling as individuals and as a team in a Dual setting.  It takes a group of kids that are unselfish for the greater good of the team. 

CLC FAN

Bump

Since people are throwing polls around...

maggie

wow, model comes up huge for the Vikings
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

CLC FAN

Results for D1 Team State 2015

Quarters                                             Semis                                               Finals

Kaukauna over Burlington                          
Prediction:  37   -   24
Actual:       49  -   19

Hudson over Cedarburg                Kaukauna over Hudson                                  
Prediction:  37   -   25                  Prediction:  40   -   22                             UPDATED PREDICTION                          
Actual:       40   -   31                      Actual:   41   -   26                           Kaukauna over Stoughton                                    
                                                                                                                 40   -   22
WI Rapids over Pewaukee             WI Rapids over Stoughton                       Actual:  41 - 21
Prediction:  32   -   29                   Prediction:   31   -   31  Rapids winning
Actual:       41   -   24                        Actual:   33  -   36

Stoughton over Sauk Praire
Prediction:   39   -   22
Actual:        36   -   30

NOPIN is 5-1 so far.

billymurphy

Rapids made a big final push in the final four matches and just came up short against Stoughton.
Excellent predictions so far.  I will be highly interested in how well Ellsworth does.
A team with no studs and no weak spots.  Very unusual. 
Ellsworth would have won a several more state titles had they had the dual meet
format back in the 80's.

CLC FAN

tiger

Unsportsmanlike Conduct on Freedom? For what?

CLC FAN

NOPIN finishes this season 11-2.  Congrats to all the competitors at Team State.