NCAA should add a 220 weight class

Started by Whizzersoldman, April 04, 2024, 10:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizzersoldman

My opinion would be to change 141 & 149 to one weight class 145 and add a weight in the 220 area. Young men seem to be becoming larger these days and the gap between 197 and Hvy is too large. Maybe going to 11 weights instead of 10 could be a possibility. I know this topic must have been discussed before but it sure seems logical  to me.

Ledger

I agree.  It would help us out with the Olympic weight class of 97 Kg as well.  I'd say make it 225 lbs, and have 11 total weight classes.

Ghetto

Even though I support having less HS weights, I agree.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Numbers

Ghetto

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Ledger

Quote from: Numbers on April 04, 2024, 01:10:23 PM9.9 scholarships for 11 weights??
11 scholarships for men, and 11 for women, there I fixed it for you.

wrestle_4ever

Couldn't disagree less.

The upper weight classes seem to be getting weaker every year, with only a few top competitors. Merging 141 and 149 would not do the sport justice. These are competitive weight classes with lots of action!!
It ain't the six minutes...it's what happens in that six minutes

Numbers

If you propose moving 184 to 188 and 197 to 205, count me as a yes vote (after I get a vote).

Troy Grindle

Absolutely!  Full disclosure I have a son who wrestles 285 in college and the heaviest he wrestled in high school was 170.  Our son also plays football in college so he needs to keep weight on not shed it.  His walking around weight is a very lean 215 lbs.  He bulks up to 220lb during football season and then through wrestling season he weighs around 212 lbs.  The number one question we get from other football player parents including parents who's kids wrestled in high school is what weight our son wrestles.  When we tell them 285 they are very confused and are even more confused when we tell them the next lightest weight class is 197.  They usually come back with "that makes no sense".  Wrestling needs to stop being its own worst enemy if they want to grow the sport.  We go from having 215 in high school but not in college???  That makes no sense.  The average 20 year old male weighs 188 lbs.  Go to a college campus and look at the 18-22 year old males, they all are around 200 lbs.  But yet there is almost 100 lbs between the last two weight classes.  Makes no sense.  Americans have gotten bigger over the past 80 years but the NCAA has only changed the weight classes once.  That makes no sense. Could you imagine if the WIAA still had a 95 lb weight class???  Well the NCAA still has a 125 that only one kid skinfolded for in the whole WIAC last year.  So that tells me a bunch of kids were sucking probably quite a bit too make 125 last year.  How many of you know any 20 year old male walking around at 125 lbs?  Not to many out there at that weight. 

A shift of 7-9 lbs increase on all weights would make sense.  But I know the wrestling purists who go crazy over that.  Instead add a 220 lb class.  You would have an odd amount of weight classes to easily break a dual meet tie.  As of the scholarship issue, very few get full rides and nobody thought it was weird that it was 9.9 for 10 weights?  Plus you don't only have 10 kids on the team lol.

I do agree that 285 is more "watered" down than the middle weights.  But it is in high school also, why would it be different in college?  Plus high school kids see the writing on the wall, if you aren't a big 285 in high school it will be very hard to transition to college wrestling.  Now what do you think all of the 190 lb and 215 lb kids are thinking as they finish up high school wrestling.  They are thinking I can either cut a bunch of weight or just focus on school.  If college ever brings in a 220 lb weight class it will be an exciting weight class.  It won't be a typical slow paced 285 match.
And then there was that.

littleguy301

Nice reply, Troy. Great points.

Go to the world weights. Easy fix and 10 weights. That would make 86 kg, 92kg, 97kg and change 285 to unlimited. Dang I like the good old big boys! That meet the growing adult with 4 weights above 188 pounds!

Flame away
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

hornbuckleb

Okay I'll bite, but then get rid of 285 and go back to unlimited like it was in the 70's  :o

Vikings1

NCWA (National Collegiate Wrestling Association) has a 235# weight class and has for quite a while. It makes sense to me.

hornbuckleb

Quote from: hornbuckleb on April 05, 2024, 12:36:10 PMOkay I'll bite, but then get rid of 285 and go back to unlimited like it was in the 70's  :o

Actually up until 86 it was unlimited I believe. Why not bring it back if you like the big guys.

Fish

Merging 141 and 149 is the dumbest thing I've seen on here in awhile...
I am for adding a 215 though.

rankwizard

I would love to see 11 weights. Ton of great talent out there in college and would grow the sport. good positive media coverage is key for creating growth of fan population as well.