2015 / 2016 Badger Conference Preview

Started by ElectricGuy, November 04, 2015, 09:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestlingdad90

It will be interesting with Milton having a dual at Sauk early in the year.

boowrestle

What is the date of sauk vs Milton dual and is the dual in Sauk???
you can run but you cannot hide.

ElectricGuy

Quote from: boowrestle on November 16, 2015, 11:10:35 PM
What is the date of sauk vs Milton dual and is the dual in Sauk???

Wk2

Thurs - Dec 10 @ Sauk    --  Yea I missed that,  great early season matchup!
We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

redbeard99

After watching the Sauk vs. Milton dual, I can see Sauk stealing the conference title from Stoughton this year.  Sauk will match up fairly decent with Stoughton's light to middle weights with Fjoser, Hankins, and the Smith brothers.  The uppers will be the stealing point for Sauk to takedown Stoughton from another Conference title.  They are very solid in the upper weights after watching them at the Early bird scramble.  This year will be a fantastic conference tournament - AS USUAL!  I also have Milton looking at a 4th place at the conference tournament.  Waunakee is tough and will probably look to take a 3rd place.

ElectricGuy

Sauk, may have a chance in the individual conference tourney, with 3 - having great chances of winning their weights.   If they happen to meet in a dual format,  I don't see Sauk prevailing, Stoughton has too much flexability to just match up better - imo 

Stoughton's back end of lineup is more talented and experienced than in the past few years. 

As for Waunakee placing 3rd,  I don't think so.  Milton by sheer quality numbers will place ahead of them.  I actually think Reedsburg has a chance of placing ahead of Waunakee at the tournament.

mojo123

Redbeard, I agree with your prediction on Sauk taking the team tournament. They are just too tough top to bottom and I think Sauk will have the upper hand when it comes to the upper weights.
However, I think Milton will be taking the 3rd place spot like EG said

redbeard99

I agree that Milton is very tough and could possibly steal the number 3 spot in the individual tourney, along with Reedsburg.  But I would have to disagree with the fact that Stoughton's back half is more experienced.  They start all new faces from 152-HWT except Trevar Helland, with losing quality/top talented guys from Gunnar Helland and Austin Benton.  I don't think Stoughton could win a match from 160 and up against Sauk Prairie and having Zeke Smith, Drew Fjoser and Aaron Hankins making noise down in the lower weights.  Just thinking about this dual gives me the chills, would love to see this happen at team state!

ElectricGuy

Quote from: redbeard99 on December 28, 2015, 11:49:22 AM
I agree that Milton is very tough and could possibly steal the number 3 spot in the individual tourney, along with Reedsburg.  But I would have to disagree with the fact that Stoughton's back half is more experienced.  They start all new faces from 152-HWT except Trevar Helland, with losing quality/top talented guys from Gunnar Helland and Austin Benton.  I don't think Stoughton could win a match from 160 and up against Sauk Prairie and having Zeke Smith, Drew Fjoser and Aaron Hankins making noise down in the lower weights.  Just thinking about this dual gives me the chills, would love to see this happen at team state!

Gives you the chills ??   ok.....

Red - the devils in the details and I can see you haven't did much digging into details (new faces 152 and up?)  ::), not going to get into a debate with a 2 time poster. 

redbeard99

As stated before, new faces 152 and up, besides Helland (see below).  Once it comes to later in the season, Kraus folded 38 and as did Dow (Both most likely dropping).  Dow will most likely go 45 due to Kraus at 38.  This would leave an opening for "new faces" also at the 152lb and 160lb spot. Obviously they can bump around for a dual, but the fact of the matter is, is that Stoughton's back half is "new" compared to an experienced and talented class lost last year.  Would love to see another matchup between Tyler Dow and Eddie Smith (possible conference finals).  Don't mean to hurt your feelings or waste your time Electric, just love talking matchups and wrestling!  Thanks!

2015 Starters:   
152 Patrick Reilly
160 Trevar Helland
170 Gunnar Helland
182 Matt Krcma
195 Austin Benton
220 Josiah Nelson
285 Joe Hohol

2016 Starters:
152 ...TBD (Collin Kraus folded 138)
160 ...TBD (Tyler Dow folded 138)
170 Trevar Helland
182 Austin Sobojinski
195 Jacob Groleau
220 Key Cook
285 Erik Haried

mojo123

Burned ElectricGuy at his own Stoughton game, Touche' Red :P

ElectricGuy

Again, need to look a little deeper. My statement was the back-end is more experienced vs last year.   First you were talking duals, Do you really think Kraus and Dow wont be in the 152/160/170 depending on match-ups?

2016 Starters:
152 ...TBD (Collin Kraus folded 138) - Sr - another yr older - in a dual anywhere between 145 to 160   vs.  P Rieley last yr  /  Experience Advantage Stoughton 15/16
160 ...TBD (Tyler Dow folded 138) - Soph - another yr older - in a dual anywhere between 152 to 170  vs. T Helland last yr  /  Experience Advantage Stoughton 15/16
170 Trevar Helland - Jr - another yr older , Varsity all last yr - in a dual anywhere between 145 to 170 vs G Helland last yr  /  Experience Advantage Stoughton 14/15
182 Austin Sobojinski - Sr now was Stou's 182 at the end of last yr - another yr older  vs "himself" last yr /  Experience Advantage Stoughton 15/16
195 Jacob Groleau - Sr now was Stou's 182 and had 15 wins 1/2 through the season before ankle break - another yr older vs Benton last yr   /  Experience Advantage Stoughton 14/15
220 Key Cook - Sr or Aiden Marshall Soph (who wrestled Greco all summer) - vs J Nelson Soph last yr  / Experience Advantage Stoughton 15/16
285 Erik Haried - Sr who was the varsity starter over Hohol last yr prior to injury  vs Hohol last yr /  Experience Advantage Stoughton 15/16

I would give the experience advantage to Stoughton's 15/16 lineup 5 out of those back 7 weights. 

Do I have my mojo back now?   ;)

mojo123

You'll always have my heart EG   ;D

Goodluck to your boy, the rest of the Stoughton clan, and everyone else wrestling at mid-states tomorrow!

imnofish

Electric Guy, we all knew that you were smart, back in your middle school and high school days, but your writing indicates that we probably underestimated you.   :o :o :o :o  Great analysis!  8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

ElectricGuy

Quote from: imnofish on December 28, 2015, 11:05:30 PM
Electric Guy, we all knew that you were smart, back in your middle school and high school days, but your writing indicates that we probably underestimated you.   :o :o :o :o  Great analysis!  8)

Coach - you were the only one then that may have thought I was smart,  most pegged me for calf pen cleaner for a career.   :)  Oh how I miss those days.....  BTW - speaking of old days - if you look at jr's bracket at midstates - Lungren's grandson is in the bracket with him.    Again small world.

Mojo - thanks!