Where do we go from here?

Started by vsmf2010, March 26, 2024, 10:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazyotto

It's not just wrestling, Badgers Basketball just lost their 2 best players. College sports as we knew them are over...this new era blows! A great wrester coming to WI and staying all 4-5 years would be an anomaly, we are now a farm club for the schools with $

BadgerOne

Quote from: Crazyotto on April 18, 2024, 02:27:46 PMIt's not just wrestling, Badgers Basketball just lost their 2 best players. College sports as we knew them are over...this new era blows! A great wrester coming to WI and staying all 4-5 years would be an anomaly, we are now a farm club for the schools with $
But UW is spending more $ on its coaching staff than most of the other wrestling programs.  When I last checked there were only about 7 other programs (PSU, Iowa, Oklahoma St, Ohio St, Michigan, Iowa St., Missouri) that spent more on their head coach.  UW has money.  Perhaps, it's not about having money, but spending it wisely.

hammer

UW could be the place were former wisconsin high schoolers come back to wrestle also, whether for a year or two. Who knows in this environment

hammer

I sure hope that the Wisconsin AD is sending out stuff to the current Badgers and recruits saying they are 100% behind Bono and the staff. Could be pretty thin in the room in the next year or two. Why doesn't Bono reach to to hardly any in state kids? Is parents stopping this? Man there is fargo champs and multiple time UWW all Americans not even getting contact from the current staff!

Sudden Death

Quote from: hammer on April 18, 2024, 04:32:12 PMI sure hope that the Wisconsin AD is sending out stuff to the current Badgers and recruits saying they are 100% behind Bono and the staff. Could be pretty thin in the room in the next year or two. Why doesn't Bono reach to to hardly any in state kids? Is parents stopping this? Man there is fargo champs and multiple time UWW all Americans not even getting contact from the current staff!

Who are the wrestlers not getting contacted?

hammer

Quote from: Sudden Death on April 18, 2024, 05:30:31 PM
Quote from: hammer on April 18, 2024, 04:32:12 PMI sure hope that the Wisconsin AD is sending out stuff to the current Badgers and recruits saying they are 100% behind Bono and the staff. Could be pretty thin in the room in the next year or two. Why doesn't Bono reach to to hardly any in state kids? Is parents stopping this? Man there is fargo champs and multiple time UWW all Americans not even getting contact from the current staff!

During Bono tenure several high level current/former wrestlers have gotten with little or no contact by this current staff. Talked about very frequently during the tenure of Bono.

Brncrzy189

Quote from: hammer on April 18, 2024, 05:46:38 PM
Quote from: Sudden Death on April 18, 2024, 05:30:31 PM

During Bono tenure several high level current/former wrestlers have gotten with little or no contact by this current staff. Talked about very frequently during the tenure of Bono.

And none have been named. I'm not defending this staff because this program is not in a strong place but who hasn't been contacted? It's constantly been said, but who?

15 or so WI guys on the roster this season, seems like not everyone has a problem.

MNbadger

Quote from: Crazyotto on April 18, 2024, 02:27:46 PMIt's not just wrestling, Badgers Basketball just lost their 2 best players. College sports as we knew them are over...this new era blows! A great wrester coming to WI and staying all 4-5 years would be an anomaly, we are now a farm club for the schools with $
I agree with this take.  I think many fans cannot fathom the money that PSU, Michigan, Iowa, and Ohio State have.  Other teams will be farm teams fot those with money.  Honestly if this keeps going the way it is, I have little interest in it.  It will still be fun for a while until the lesser teams will have fewer and fewer competitive individuals. 
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

wrestlemania

But UW is spending more $ on its coaching staff than most of the other wrestling programs.  When I last checked there were only about 7 other programs (PSU, Iowa, Oklahoma St, Ohio St, Michigan, Iowa St., Missouri) that spent more on their head coach.  UW has money.  Perhaps, it's not about having money, but spending it wisely.

That's just the money the school pays the coach and the staff. We're not talking NIL money or what boosters foot the bill for in any program and on that level UW ain't in the Top 10.

BadgerOne

Quote from: wrestlemania on April 18, 2024, 09:20:26 PMBut UW is spending more $ on its coaching staff than most of the other wrestling programs.  When I last checked there were only about 7 other programs (PSU, Iowa, Oklahoma St, Ohio St, Michigan, Iowa St., Missouri) that spent more on their head coach.  UW has money.  Perhaps, it's not about having money, but spending it wisely.

That's just the money the school pays the coach and the staff. We're not talking NIL money or what boosters foot the bill for in any program and on that level UW ain't in the Top 10.

It does look like UW is in top 10 spending on something we can measure.  I don't think there is any record of what college wrestling programs spend on NIL or its boosters spend on NIL.  If so link your source.  Wisconsin is the only D1 school in its state and its a richer state than Iowa that has to support three D1 schools and Oklahoma which has two.  Wisconsin has opportunity to have a spending edge on those schools.  Let's go!

No One Cares

Quote from: BadgerOne on April 19, 2024, 11:40:16 AM
Quote from: wrestlemania on April 18, 2024, 09:20:26 PMBut UW is spending more $ on its coaching staff than most of the other wrestling programs.  When I last checked there were only about 7 other programs (PSU, Iowa, Oklahoma St, Ohio St, Michigan, Iowa St., Missouri) that spent more on their head coach.  UW has money.  Perhaps, it's not about having money, but spending it wisely.

It does look like UW is in top 10 spending on something we can measure.  I don't think there is any record of what college wrestling programs spend on NIL or its boosters spend on NIL.  If so link your source.  Wisconsin is the only D1 school in its state and its a richer state than Iowa that has to support three D1 schools and Oklahoma which has two.  Wisconsin has opportunity to have a spending edge on those schools.  Let's go!

FedEx just committed $25million to NIL at Memphis.

Maybe we can get State St. Brats to donate some money to UW.

BadgerOne

Quote from: No One Cares on April 19, 2024, 11:52:07 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on April 19, 2024, 11:40:16 AM

FedEx just committed $25million to NIL at Memphis.

Maybe we can get State St. Brats to donate some money to UW.
???   Memphis doesn't even have a wrestling program.

DocWrestling

They extended Bono contract another year today.  Kind of a formality but not going anywhere this year
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

wrestlemania

No he's not and quite frankly I don't think he's going anywhere any time soon unless the situation in the wrestling room grows so toxic the program can't function and or the team's dual meet record and B1G and NCAA standing completely tank. I don't know if they feel like they have much in the way of options other than to turn over the program to the Askrens in some form. A big name coach isn't going to come here with the facilities they have currently and the lack of money put into the program outside of what the school pays. And whatever "meeting" McIntosh had with the Askrens recently probably had little to do with the men's program outside of perhaps Mac saying; "Quit blacklisting us." Heck, given Bono's background at the time he was hired, they were probably lucky he was even interested at all.

So the status quo reigns and if you're not a fan of it, I recommend you just don't follow the program until something changes. Because the constant attacks upon it serves no ones interests and quite frankly are irrelevant. If the results show a change is needed that's what will influence the decision-makers, not internet chatter, a lot of which turns out (and especially in this case) not to be true.

wrestle03

The results the past several years have already shown that a change needs to be made.  The debacle of how things have been handled at the WRTC show that changes need to be made.  No one is going to pony up their money and donate to a program / regime in Bono who  has proven he cant / wont get the job done.  Stop making excuses about the facilities and lack of money - success would breed change.  People tend to shy away from supporting a losing program that is going no where.