Where do we go from here?

Started by vsmf2010, March 26, 2024, 10:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

Quote from: fightfightfight on April 11, 2024, 03:53:11 PM
Quote from: wrestle03 on April 11, 2024, 01:31:50 PMwrestlemania - well Bono can let the door hit him  in the back side on the way out.  His days are limited regardless, and if he resigned he'd have no where to go anywhere.  Who would hire this guy after the debacle he's created in his 6 years in WI ?  Bono's ego is his biggest detriment.  This team wont come close to sniffing an AA next year. HE burned the bridge with Askren and there is no re-building that bridge.  He needs to go.  Just cant wait for the "Great Day to be a Badger" post where he announces another D3 grad transfer coming to Madison.  Bono cant recruit and there is no saving the sinking ship he's created.

Today I learned an NCAA qualifier and huge contributor to the team last year didn't deserve a tweet from the head coach when he transferred because he was D3. 

That isn't a surprise. Word has it that several of the top talent in the state left without a single contact from this current staff. If this is true that is completely a crime!

fightfightfight

You misinterpreted what I said.

npope

Yes - you need to specifically note "sarcasm" when you post. It will keep us all on the same page  ;)
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

hammer

Quote from: hammer on April 11, 2024, 09:26:43 PM
Quote from: fightfightfight on April 11, 2024, 03:53:11 PM
Quote from: wrestle03 on April 11, 2024, 01:31:50 PMwrestlemania - well Bono can let the door hit him  in the back side on the way out.  His days are limited regardless, and if he resigned he'd have no where to go anywhere.  Who would hire this guy after the debacle he's created in his 6 years in WI ?  Bono's ego is his biggest detriment.  This team wont come close to sniffing an AA next year. HE burned the bridge with Askren and there is no re-building that bridge.  He needs to go.  Just cant wait for the "Great Day to be a Badger" post where he announces another D3 grad transfer coming to Madison.  Bono cant recruit and there is no saving the sinking ship he's created.

Today I learned an NCAA qualifier and huge contributor to the team last year didn't deserve a tweet from the head coach when he transferred because he was D3. 

That isn't a surprise. Word has it that several of the top talent in the state left without a single contact from this current staff. If this is true that is completely a crime!

Quote from: fightfightfight on April 12, 2024, 07:58:07 AMYou misinterpreted what I busted!
Quote from: fightfightfight on April 12, 2024, 07:58:07 AMYou misinterpreted what I said.

Busted! I don't have social media so you could have said the sky is falling because of a tweet and I would have believed. Like I said word is this staff doesn't contact on a regular basis some of the top recruits in Wisconsin.

wrestlemania

"Today I learned an NCAA qualifier and huge contributor to the team last year didn't deserve a tweet from the head coach when he transferred because he was D3. "

Which is a typical remark of some of the so-called "fans" around here. I tell you what Wrestle03, when the next coach comes aboard, you can be the one to defend him when he fails (i.e. winning team titles) for the very same reasons every other Wisconsin coach has failed. That is, if you're still around to do so after Bono leaves and your mission is accomplished.

Bono's ego is his biggest detriment

Name me a another big-time coach who doesn't have a "ego". The Askrens have egos too. I mean, have you even met Bono or talked to him for a few minutes to even judge what he's like or what his ego is? I'm curious as to why (and to be fair Wrestle03 isn't the only one who has mentioned this) this has become a problem or what specifically he has done to get people complaining about his "ego"?

HE burned the bridge with Askren and there is no re-building that bridge.

The Askrens also know how to play with matches as well. As I said, if Bono wasn't in the same room with McIntosh and Max and Ben the other day, then Bono should do what's in his best interest and leave. He can find another job and will. But he can't be the head coach if his boss is underminding him.

Then you complain about him being all hype and no substance. Remember that we demanded Barry Davis' head because he wouldn't "hype" the program. It seems like nothing a UW coach can do can win over all the fans (except winning it all of course) Then that coach runs into the same brick wall and we start all over again.

Healthy and happy

It's ok to have an opinion but man you are just plain brutal.  If I was a prospective wrestler/parent and saw these types of posts, I would certainly question the loyalty of the WI wrestling fan base.  There appears to be some "fans" that will turn on you somewhat quickly. 
The Askerns, it my opinion, probably needs to take more ownership in the poor relationship with UW wrestling.  They couldn't get along with the Davis staff and their coaching style nor the Bono staff and their different coaching style.  The Askerns right now are the common denominator in this poor relationship.  Until they are willing to change, you kinda have to agree with others that no matter who the UW coaching staff is, there will not be a great relationship with AWA. Everyone loses here especially the in state wrestling kids!!

hammer

Quote from: Healthy and happy on April 12, 2024, 10:56:52 AM
It's ok to have an opinion but man you are just plain brutal.  If I was a prospective wrestler/parent and saw these types of posts, I would certainly question the loyalty of the WI wrestling fan base.  There appears to be some "fans" that will turn on you somewhat quickly. 
The Askerns, it my opinion, probably needs to take more ownership in the poor relationship with UW wrestling.  They couldn't get along with the Davis staff and their coaching style nor the Bono staff and their different coaching style.  The Askerns right now are the common denominator in this poor relationship.  Until they are willing to change, you kinda have to agree with others that no matter who the UW coaching staff is, there will not be a great relationship with AWA. Everyone loses here especially the in state wrestling kids!!

Looks to be several of the kids are doing very good wrestling outside of the state. Like another poster has been saying, time for the head coach of the Badgers step up and say it is his state for wrestling. Yet to be done and the AWA problem will continue!

1Iota

The UW football coaches hosted the States HS coaches last weekend.  Luke spoke about NIL and how it is changing the college atmosphere.  He specifically mentioned UW wrestling losing a wrestler to a huge NIL deal.  Obviously he was referring to Hamiti. 

I wrote in an earlier thread, and I will post it again, unless UW's wrestling program is given more dollars to play with we will not be competing for top recruits any longer.  I encourage anyone to reach to programs insiders and they will tell you that UW is way behind the top programs in NIL money.  So we can fire Bono, hire Max, ect.  It won't matter unless we commit more dollars and in order for that to happen UW will have to believe the investment is worth it. 

hammer

Quote from: 1Iota on April 12, 2024, 11:08:55 AMThe UW football coaches hosted the States HS coaches last weekend.  Luke spoke about NIL and how it is changing the college atmosphere.  He specifically mentioned UW wrestling losing a wrestler to a huge NIL deal.  Obviously he was referring to Hamiti. 

I wrote in an earlier thread, and I will post it again, unless UW's wrestling program is given more dollars to play with we will not be competing for top recruits any longer.  I encourage anyone to reach to programs insiders and they will tell you that UW is way behind the top programs in NIL money.  So we can fire Bono, hire Max, ect.  It won't matter unless we commit more dollars and in order for that to happen UW will have to believe the investment is worth it. 

NIL from what inhave been told doesn't come from the school it comes from outside avenues. That means the coaches have to market themselves to the people that will think important. If you have been to the nation's you see coaches like Cael working the fan section. Talking to older people and such. Haven't seen Bono working the crowd like Cael and others. US Open you see coaches talking with athletes from other schools. Not saying tampering at all just saying many coaches continue have relationships with athletes. Does Bononhave this?

1Iota

Quote from: hammer on April 12, 2024, 02:38:25 PM
Quote from: 1Iota on April 12, 2024, 11:08:55 AMThe UW football coaches hosted the States HS coaches last weekend.  Luke spoke about NIL and how it is changing the college atmosphere.  He specifically mentioned UW wrestling losing a wrestler to a huge NIL deal.  Obviously he was referring to Hamiti. 

NIL from what inhave been told doesn't come from the school it comes from outside avenues. That means the coaches have to market themselves to the people that will think important. If you have been to the nation's you see coaches like Cael working the fan section. Talking to older people and such. Haven't seen Bono working the crowd like Cael and others. US Open you see coaches talking with athletes from other schools. Not saying tampering at all just saying many coaches continue have relationships with athletes. Does Bononhave this?

It is really two fold.  You have money that comes directly to the athlete from outside entities such as ads, promos, ect.  You also have money that is given to the programs from outside donors and dispersed at their discretion.  But you also have money that is provided by the University to be allocated as needed by their programs. 

Tuco

I can speak of West Virginia University.  They have a group called Country Roads Trust that provides money to the athletes for all sports.  I know of one individual, a red shirt on the football team with a full scholarship, that received $10,000 for attending two 3-hour youth football camps.  At the end of the year any money left over in that year's available funds is divided amongst all the athletes.  Not sure what that total was.

If you think NIL money doesn't make a difference, take a look at the top athletes and their totals:
1.   Shedeur Sanders (Deion's son) - $4.7M
2.   Bronny James (Lebron's son) - $4.5M (while in High School)
3.   Arch Manning - $2.8M
4.   Travis Hunter - $2.4M

Certainly, the larger sports have a bigger payout.  How many followers you have on social media is also a big draw to companies as their name gets out to more potential purchasers of their product.

MakingABadgerer

Quote from: 1Iota on April 13, 2024, 10:47:57 AM

It is really two fold.  You have money that comes directly to the athlete from outside entities such as ads, promos, ect.  You also have money that is given to the programs from outside donors and dispersed at their discretion.  But you also have money that is provided by the University to be allocated as needed by their programs. 

Wouldn't that be three fold?

asdf

How many times in Bono's tenure has he hosted HS coaches like Fickell has? Maybe I missed Bono (or anyone) discussing it, but I make a point to seek out Badger wrestling info on Twitter, Facbook, this forum, etc. and have not seen much going on.

Agree that $$$ helps recruitment, but better communication would increase donations in my opinion.

Tuco

NIL can backfire also.  Quinn Ewers (QB) was the first athlete to receive an NIL payment for more than $1M for going to The Ohio State University.  He left after his RS year to attend Texas, so OSU received nothing for their $1M investment.

1Iota

Quote from: MakingABadgerer on April 15, 2024, 08:52:24 AM
Quote from: 1Iota on April 13, 2024, 10:47:57 AM

Wouldn't that be three fold?
;D