Times have defintely changed

Started by RedDawn1966, February 23, 2017, 02:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedDawn1966

Its been long time since I been in high school wrestling but boy times have changed.  I just learnt about this website not to long ago and I like what I read.  Lots of good advice.  I wish all kids luck at state this weekend.  It seems some schools are still very good and some names Im sure are the kids of guys I knew way back in the day.

Heres whats changed most:

We never had a website so now everyone knows everyone.  No surprises anymore about who you got in sectional or state. 

How many divisions are there now?  Seems back in the day it was way tougher with just A B and C divisions.

We could only go to one school.  Now it seems a kid gets to go to 2 schools like West Salem and Bangher.  I think open enrollment to schools is whats that about.

Heres whats not changed:

Wrestlers are still toughest kids youll meet anywhere.

From what i know the farm kids are still some of the hardest workers.

What I seen last weekend is that wrestling fans are still the best ever of any sport.  I look forward to seeing all them fans this weekend up at the state.

OhioWisconsin

They still have the three divisions...although way back they used to have just one division. Always cool seeing familiar names from years ago.

RedDawn1966

It still dont seem fair kids can go to 2 schools instead of just one but i guess thats why the kids now learn algebra in earlier days than they did back in the day cuz everyone is doing more and more all the time.

imnofish

Quote from: RedDawn1966 on February 23, 2017, 03:11:20 PM

It still dont seem fair kids can go to 2 schools instead of just one but i guess thats why the kids now learn algebra in earlier days than they did back in the day cuz everyone is doing more and more all the time.

Kids still go to one school.  Some schools combine their teams, because they don't have enough wrestlers to make a full team.  If they didn't do this, many schools probably wouldn't have a wrestling team.  So, this is a good thing, because it keeps a lot of kids from losing the chance to wrestle.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

Quote from: imnofish on February 24, 2017, 12:05:47 AM
Quote from: RedDawn1966 on February 23, 2017, 03:11:20 PM

Kids still go to one school.  Some schools combine their teams, because they don't have enough wrestlers to make a full team.  If they didn't do this, many schools probably wouldn't have a wrestling team.  So, this is a good thing, because it keeps a lot of kids from losing the chance to wrestle.

We used to coop with Brookwood(NOW). Now they have the numbers and we need a few guys. May have saved wrestling in two proud wrestling communities. Glad we did it. Started with just one kid. Worked out there.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

matman

Quote from: getyourpoints on February 24, 2017, 04:57:55 AM
Not very many (if any)farm kids are wrestling in D1, as a matter of fact most of the top tear kids I know in D2 and D3 Arnt farm kids either.

That's because there aren't many farm kids left lol

farmerbk

Quote from: matman on February 25, 2017, 12:27:26 AM
Quote from: getyourpoints on February 24, 2017, 04:57:55 AM
Not very many (if any)farm kids are wrestling in D1, as a matter of fact most of the top tear kids I know in D2 and D3 Arnt farm kids either.

That's because there aren't many farm kids left lol

Anecdotally, when I was a freshman 8 of the 13 varsity spots on our team were filled by farm kids. Now there is one at my high school. Obviously some of it is cyclical but there's no denying there are less and less farmers, especially young farmers.

Kyle

Farm boys don't carry cans of milk or throw bales of hay anymore. Pipelines and round bales eliminated their biggest advantage.
Kyle

wrestler6

Quote from: Kyle on February 25, 2017, 06:33:48 AM
Farm boys don't carry cans of milk or throw bales of hay anymore. Pipelines and round bales eliminated their biggest advantage.
Kyle
[

Not sure where you're from but my neck of the We still do that stuff!!
Tyler

imnofish

Kyle

Absolutely right.  It's been a few decades since farm kids built their bodies by doing this type of work.  Technology and corporate farming have changed their daily experiences and their numbers.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

Kyle

There are still plenty old school farm kids. Just have to find the smaller, non-factory, farms and you'll find those kids. Many don't do sports; because they're needed on those farms.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.