Badger State Games

Started by Wrestle up, June 22, 2013, 03:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrestle up

A big thanks to Wausau West for hosting the Games again this year. The tournament was run flawlessly with a lot of great competition. Great job, we'll be back next year.

madeyson

Anywhere we can see results????

Wrestle up

They said the results would be posted at  http://www.badgerstategames.org/ on the results page for wrestling. Nothing has been posted yet.

Quack

Found it a little sad that a second grader had to wrestle up to the 3-4 because other parents didnt want their kids of the same age to wrestle him. What are we teaching our kids?
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

padre

Quote from: Quack on June 23, 2013, 08:59:50 AM
Found it a little sad that a second grader had to wrestle up to the 3-4 because other parents didnt want their kids of the same age to wrestle him. What are we teaching our kids?

We had a 2nd grader that bumped to 3rd/4th all year.  I'm guessing they were used to it and probably better off as I imagine those matches would not have helped anyone.

Quack

Quote from: padre on June 23, 2013, 04:11:22 PM

We had a 2nd grader that bumped to 3rd/4th all year.  I'm guessing they were used to it and probably better off as I imagine those matches would not have helped anyone.

Choosing to do it and being forced to do it are to different things

padre

Quote from: Quack on June 23, 2013, 06:13:45 PM
Quote from: padre on June 23, 2013, 04:11:22 PM

Choosing to do it and being forced to do it are to different things

Gunpoint?  There is always a choice.
Some choose to jump weights to give them a better chance to place higher.  Some choose not to wrestle tournaments at all.  Always choices.

bigoil

What was the difference in weight?

littleguy301

The parents of the other aged kids in that bracket were the ones that made a big deal out of it?

That is what I am reading.

If that is the case then I have to agree with Quack as to what are we teaching our kids.

To answer the comment about having a 2nd grader moving up all year,,that is a choice that some parents do make to find better competition and for other reasons also. Those are the parents and wrestlers choice.

To have other parents forcing wrestlers out of the brackets is a road that should NOT be traveled. If the kids makes weight and shows he is of a certain weight than he should be able to wrestle in that class bottom line.

Howavi,,so what if the kid was the same weight as those 3-4 graders, you could be talking 3 years of age difference in there. I know it happening in High School all the time but when your a just turned 8 year old wrestling a possibly 11 year old there is some physical differences there at that age. My son found that one out the hard way. He did fine but I matched him up with a kid 2 grades older than him but 3 1/2 years age difference. A lot of physical difference there.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

cooch

The only times I have ever heard of a something like that happening is when the kid in question is much heavier or much older/upper grade level than the other kids. 

examples:
Had a kid 30+ lbs heavier than the next heaviest guy in his age group bump up from 4th grade to 5th/6th because the two other kids who were 15lbs apart refused to wrestle him. (also had kids like that take a trophy and go home which is ridiculous.)

A high school freshman still qualified age wise for a birth year ran tournament.  The tournament did not specify NO High school kids so, the parents signed him up figuring the kids were his age.  After the first match a parent looked him up on track and reported it to the other parents.  They had that kid pulled from the tournament. 

Be Unbeatable. Someone may score more points than you, but hold your head high, know you gave your all and go back to work.  That is being unbeatable.

Quack

Weights were the same, and very well said Littleguy301.