Appetizer – New Year’s Eve

Started by Kjohnson, December 28, 2013, 06:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

No butter, eh? Not even on New Year's?
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Kjohnson

Decided to go with home baked Chocolate Chip Cookies. I use a recipe that my mother has made for 50 years. The key is to not overbake the cookies, let them sit on the baking sheet and continue to bake after they are taken out of the oven.  Her other secret is to use margarine that is 100 calories a serving. Hard to find, most are 70 or 80 calories.

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on December 31, 2013, 07:54:30 AM
No butter, eh? Not even on New Year's?

I hate greasy fingers.  Besides, my dog always begs some from me and she's watching her diet.   ;D
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

I have to shower after eating a mess o' buttered popcorn. :)

Shrimp are out and ready, along with a few treats for the kids. My kids live to peel and eat.. and eat.

imnofish

Sounds yummy!  I actually splurged; went out and bought a rotisserie chicken and some fixins, just to surprise my bride.  Even with the flu, she thought it was a nice surprise.  Have a great night with the family!
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Kjohnson

The cookies were a big hit. No leftovers. I think one kid had 6 cookies

imnofish

Quote from: Kjohnson on January 01, 2014, 03:36:39 AM
The cookies were a big hit. No leftovers. I think one kid had 6 cookies

Kids have a way of protecting our waistlines.   8)

ramjet

Quote from: Kjohnson on December 31, 2013, 11:40:35 AM
Decided to go with home baked Chocolate Chip Cookies. I use a recipe that my mother has made for 50 years. The key is to not overbake the cookies, let them sit on the baking sheet and continue to bake after they are taken out of the oven.  Her other secret is to use margarine that is 100 calories a serving. Hard to find, most are 70 or 80 calories.

My biggest weakness is out of the oven warm chocolate chip cookies and whole milk man o man they are just greeeeat.

Good choice not surprised it was well received.

bigG

Takes ya back home to have real chocochip cookies. Ever try the ones at IGA or WalMart? Uff! I like to put the doughballs in cold so they don't melt down too much.

My main cookie is peanut butter. Just wouldn't taste the same without the double fork crease. Bulk tank milk and I'm good.

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on January 02, 2014, 05:36:25 PM
Takes ya back home to have real chocochip cookies. Ever try the ones at IGA or WalMart? Uff! I like to put the doughballs in cold so they don't melt down too much.

My main cookie is peanut butter. Just wouldn't taste the same without the double fork crease. Bulk tank milk and I'm good.

G, have you ever tried the natural peanut butter in your cookie recipe?  If so, how was it?

bigG

I don't care for that stuff, honestly. A gal at school made them; and she knows how to bake (I suck), and they weren't as good. GOOD, but not as. There was just something missing. Prolly because my notion of a PB cookie came from Skippy.

imnofish

A talented chef like you could easily make your own peanut butter with a food processor.  You should see if you can make a better natural PB.  I used to get some stuff that a local guy made down in Florida that was incredible - all natural ingredients. 

dad 2 5

Thia meatballs
favorite homemade meatball, cooked and simmered in Maesri red curry paste with two cans coconut cream
Simmer down until nice and thick.
By the way this curry is HOT!

bigG

Now that sounds trippy. Never had it. I got my supply of the best kim-chee coming this week. That is some poppin' cabbage. Hard to accept sauerkraut after digging that mojo. Thank God that Korean family moved to Cashton. (Racism Squirrel!)

DrSnide

Quote from: bigG on January 04, 2014, 03:34:46 PM
Now that sounds trippy. Never had it. I got my supply of the best kim-chee coming this week. That is some poppin' cabbage. Hard to accept sauerkraut after digging that mojo. Thank God that Korean family moved to Cashton. (Racism Squirrel!)

Nobody is more happy than the SE Asian migration to Western Wisconsin than I am.  Played soccer in the 80's so I knew a lot of the Hmong families through my teammates and oh my did I get to know some really good Hmong/Thai influenced home cooking. 

Diabetic Squirrel!!
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso