weekend meal

Started by Kjohnson, November 15, 2013, 10:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kjohnson

Plan on making a wild rice and chicken soup. Found a few recipes on the internet. I figure I'll slow cook the chicken on Saturday. Save the chicken stock and cut up the meat Saturday or Sunday and I'll be all set for the 3:30 Packer Game

bigG

One little tidbit of advice, if I may. Cook the rice (wild, white or brown) separately or your soup, stew, whatever will have a strange starchiness to it. Just saying, sounds so much easier to do the "one step" but quality greatly improves with two separate steps.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Kjohnson

Quote from: bigG on November 15, 2013, 10:50:14 AM
One little tidbit of advice, if I may. Cook the rice (wild, white or brown) separately or your soup, stew, whatever will have a strange starchiness to it. Just saying, sounds so much easier to do the "one step" but quality greatly improves with two separate steps.

Can I cook the wild rice separately and then pour it into my soup and put the slow cooker on warm?  Sunday our rule is, eat when you are hungry. So someone may eat at 4 pm and others at 6pm. Me, I eat one meal on Sunday.....I start at 10 am and end at 7 pm  ;D

bigG

Quote from: Kjohnson on November 15, 2013, 11:01:18 AM

Can I cook the wild rice separately and then pour it into my soup and put the slow cooker on warm?  Sunday our rule is, eat when you are hungry. So someone may eat at 4 pm and others at 6pm. Me, I eat one meal on Sunday.....I start at 10 am and end at 7 pm  ;D

There ya go. Just don't add the rice dry, or you'll end up with a starchy texture that you prolly won't like. I learned the hard way.

Nice weekend for this dish.

We graze on Sundays, too.

Kjohnson

Thanks, the soup turned out great!!
Cooked the chicken on Saturday and de boned when cool.  Sunday used the broth from Saturday and added veggies, then a few hours later added the cooked chicken and  cooked wild rice.  I thought I was going to watch the game alone and then my sons & friends showed up. I had enough left over soup for my wife and I on Monday

bigG

You know, you can buy boneless/skinless chck breast for cheap in some spots; which is a'ight; but to make a great broth from real chicken parts, then rippin' the meat off to add to the final product is the essence of good eats, IMO. These kinds of dishes are the best fall food you can make.

Glad it turned out. Something about wild rice. The subtle nuttiness is so addicting.

Houndhead

G, I do a crockpot dish where I cut up boneless chicken breasts, add cream of celery, cream of chicken, and celery flakes. I usually add one or more of the following;sour cream, cream cheese or shredded cheese. I then add white or brown rice(or both) and let it slow cook all day. I think the rice turns out good, but I will try your method and cook it first next time and see if it is better. I have a feeling it may add more volume to it. I may have missed an ingredient or two, I was going off my memory, which ain't too great anymore.

Kjohnson

Quote from: Houndhead on November 21, 2013, 07:39:39 AM
G, I do a crockpot dish where I cut up boneless chicken breasts, add cream of celery, cream of chicken, and celery flakes. I usually add one or more of the following;sour cream, cream cheese or shredded cheese. I then add white or brown rice(or both) and let it slow cook all day. I think the rice turns out good, but I will try your method and cook it first next time and see if it is better. I have a feeling it may add more volume to it. I may have missed an ingredient or two, I was going off my memory, which ain't too great anymore.

I think your method works well with Brown & White rice. But wild rice is a different.  Stovetop requires you to boil fro 45 - 60 minutes.

bigG

Quote from: Houndhead on November 21, 2013, 07:39:39 AM

I do the same but cover the dish in the oven to let the liquid cook the rice. Always called it "no peek chicken" cuz that what mom always called it. I think the "cream of" soups take away some of the starchiness of the rice. I just think that when you stew or soup for clear stock, the rice starch gets in the way if you don't keep 'em separated. I also think chicken bones at a magic ingredient to soups and stews.

This is why I always save the turkey carcass after eating the bird. Dem bones is good!!

I just remember making a soup with wild rice and thinking "throw it in there dry and make your life easy" despite my mom's advice against it. Never ignore mom's advice.

ramjet

Chicken stock is it the most universal and delicious stock there is. Home made chicken soup is the best. I love egg noodles but as G suggested starch cooks separately.

bigG

When parents or kids ask what the best wrestler diet is, I always say "take your weight and add a zero" and suggest homemade soups. Cheap, filling, use rutabaga instead of noodles by getting out the grater. Good way to have an all veg meal. A little decent bread and you're good.

A good sized bowl of homemade soup is calorically very efficient. And just great. Every Sunday, I make some kinda stock, broth, whatever. Very affordable to use the animal for more than one serving; and delish. Don't need to buy that salty canned crap, Tom. Next time, it's gonna be "homemade" on that basement card table. :D