WHo amongst us processes their own venison?

Started by ramjet, September 19, 2013, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramjet

I do started back at it tow years ago. Better cuts of meat and we even have one of those older meat grinders from my Grandmother. We add a little pork sausage to the burger it makes it just wonderful. We are careful to remove all the glands (folks think that line of white in the hind quarter is fat it is not it is a gland and that is what gives Venison the wild gamey taste if not removed completely) in the hind quarter and I use the "footballs" for jerky and select cuts of steaks and chops but I cut them thick and then vacuum seal it and then freeze. Venison can be one of the best meats from nutrition stand point and taste if butchered correctly and cut and cooked medium rare. Nothing as good as thick cut butterflied back straps seasoned just right and cooked to perfection. Plus doing it myself gives me certain satisfaction I am getting my deer and all of it.

This year I am thinking of trying to make my own sausage or brats.

imnofish

I haven't hunted deer for a long time, but when I did, it was very helpful to be part of a group who worked together to do our own processing.  If you can work out that kind of a deal, it can be fun, cheap, and efficient.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

Where I live now that camaraderie is often about cutting the meat on Sunday with the Packers on the radio(while you're packin' meat).

I've got maybe 10 lbs. of it (8lbs.ground, 2 more backstraps). Venison doesn't have the best flavor. Needs some pork fat,or beef tallow,  love.

It's the lean healthfood for carnivores. I can deal with it when it's got some stewin' juices with it and braised.

Good stuff; but it won't replace steak anytime soon.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

Well here is tip the back straps cut thick 1" at least use Grill Mates marinade(many flavors) leave it in over night. Hot coals sear it medium rare. Steak will not be top of the list anymore. Great marinade transforms venison into juicy delectable treat.

Ground venison mix with Jimmy Deans Hot sausage about 70-30 it is moist tasty and really still low fat.

Never ever take any steaks cut with saw or cut thin.

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on September 19, 2013, 06:45:55 PM
Where I live now that camaraderie is often about cutting the meat on Sunday with the Packers on the radio(while you're packin' meat).

I've got maybe 10 lbs. of it (8lbs.ground, 2 more backstraps). Venison doesn't have the best flavor. Needs some pork fat,or beef tallow,  love.

It's the lean healthfood for carnivores. I can deal with it when it's got some stewin' juices with it and braised.

Good stuff; but it won't replace steak anytime soon.

LOTS of onion is very helpful when it comes to bringing out the best flavor.  I used to make a venison stew that beat ANY beef stew - all home grown veggies included.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

mat time

Quote from: ramjet on September 19, 2013, 08:48:54 PM
Well here is tip the back straps cut thick 1" at least use Grill Mates marinade(many flavors) leave it in over night. Hot coals sear it medium rare. Steak will not be top of the list anymore. Great marinade transforms venison into juicy delectable treat.

Ground venison mix with Jimmy Deans Hot sausage about 70-30 it is moist tasty and really still low fat.

Never ever take any steaks cut with saw or cut thin.
I actually cut the whole " steaks" out of the quarters and leave them so they are like a roast. Marinade them, grill them to medium rare, then slice them into steaks. Juicy and tender.
If u aren't sold on venison steaks try canning it. so easy to do. and very delicious . You won't even know it is venison. do so many thing with it, over mash potatoes or noodles. the key is to throw a little beef tallow in it before u can.
Gold medals aren

bigG

Canned venison is my favorite by far. The smell when you open it up is heavenly.

I've tried venison steaks about every possible way. Most recipes are about hiding the flavor and that's what I do. Plenty of veggies, braised. Good eats.

There's a reason they don't sell it in the store. Ya gotta add crap to it to make it palatable.

Pheasant and turkey are my main gamers. Love me some squirrel, too.

Canned, though, venison is great.

Handles II

Quote from: bigG on September 20, 2013, 06:21:40 AM
Canned venison is my favorite by far. The smell when you open it up is heavenly.

I've tried venison steaks about every possible way. Most recipes are about hiding the flavor and that's what I do. Plenty of veggies, braised. Good eats.

There's a reason they don't sell it in the store. Ya gotta add crap to it to make it palatable.

Pheasant and turkey are my main gamers. Love me some squirrel, too.

Canned, though, venison is great.

I think you are making your venison the wrong way Big G, love it's flavor, it actually HAS flavor imo compared to beef. Cook no more than medium rare. that's the key to almost all wild game, makes a huge difference in flavor and texture. Couldn't stand goose, duck, venison until I started cooking on my own and read some updated wild game cookbooks. Plenty of good cooking shows on the sportsman channel etc. it's all about not over cooking.

My fave is a simple venison steak sandwich. pan fry in butter and onions, slap between some buttered wonderbread. Mmm.

bigG

I can make goose, duck and the rest very well.

Next time I make straps, I'll just do what I do to goose, Think strips, and fajita those suckers.

I do buy a farm beef that is so good; it's hard to beat.

The smell of canned venison wins me over every time, though.

You're right, though, there's not enough fat on wild game to cook it for very long (at least dry) so you better go quick or take forever with braising liquid.

Still doesn't touch pheasant, turkey and squirrel, IMO.

ramjet

G see now I am not a fan of sky carp (goose) make mostly jerky from them if I get them at all. Duck? wood duck is the only thing I like I really want to learn a good Duck ala orange recipe.

Canned is great for Venison. Cut it thick cook it fast sear only the outside for example grill around 600 degrees is good. Season before cooking but easy on the salt it will promote dryness and let it rest. ANother thing G wrap in in bacon you know bacon makes everything taste good.  ;D

Pheasant or grouse; filet the breast meat off then take it and put it it zip lock bag with Paul Neumann Italian Parmesan (italian olive oil) dressing over night cook it in the cast iron skillet throw in some tomatoes and peppers and it is moist juicy and a delight. This also works really well with skinless boneless chicken breast. But I use tenderizing hammer for the chicken and beat the heck out of it.

bigG

I sear duck breasts in a bacon wrap. Love it.

I just sear the heck out of venison in caste iron then can it (after seasoning it, of course.)

If you mix the goose with some fatty pork and grind together you get some nice texture for jerky.

I'm tellin' you, pal, just cut the goose breast into strips, some decent adobo seasoning, hot skillet, bacon fat, or lard. Just cook the meat separately from the veggies. I like red onions and poblano peppers and some jicama (peeled, raw, with a little cilnatro mixed in) for extra crunch. Dump a little Yucateco hot sauce on and pop!

The gaminess of the goose is actually a bennie that adds some depth to a fajita chicken can't.

wrestling for fun

This is no joke...  waterfowl subsituted in mexican food is outstanding and in chile is unbelievable. 

bigG

I like bacon wrapped duck breasts so much I never fajitad them. I prefer wood ducks over most. Less meat, but good meat. Next bunch of teal/mallard is getting fajitad.

I think it's time for the fajita de venado(easy to remember the Spanish word for deer) to hit the skillet. Pshshshshshsh!

uncle Fester

most of the time the deer are to shot up to get any decent meat off... the new assault rifle jams up and sticks on full auto...when we do get one thats not all shot up I mix everything with manwich
we didnt come here for a picnic

ramjet

Quote from: bigG on September 20, 2013, 10:15:13 AM
I sear duck breasts in a bacon wrap. Love it.

I just sear the heck out of venison in caste iron then can it (after seasoning it, of course.)

If you mix the goose with some fatty pork and grind together you get some nice texture for jerky.

I'm tellin' you, pal, just cut the goose breast into strips, some decent adobo seasoning, hot skillet, bacon fat, or lard. Just cook the meat separately from the veggies. I like red onions and poblano peppers and some jicama (peeled, raw, with a little cilnatro mixed in) for extra crunch. Dump a little Yucateco hot sauce on and pop!

The gaminess of the goose is actually a bennie that adds some depth to a fajita chicken can't.

That sounds really good and I will try it. Love fajita's