Max wt that can be dropped from sat to sat???

Started by boowrestle, February 13, 2014, 07:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stbird

Not sure about today, but what I saw in college was much worse than anything I saw in High School. When it comes down to sitting the bench or cutting the weight to be a state placer or All American the decision is pretty much made for you.  There are plenty of examples today in college wrestling.  Corey Clark at Iowa is one that comes to mind immediately.  He can't beat Ramos so he's making an extreme cut to 125 so that he can wrestle.  Sometimes situation dictates and highly competitive kids will do what it takes. 

Quote from: hammen on February 15, 2014, 10:51:38 AM
Quote from: stbird on February 15, 2014, 08:52:33 AM
Hammen keeps talkinga about "doing it the right way".  That is great in a perfect world, but the problem is that kids are wrestling below a healthy weight, so it is impossible to get their in a healthy way.  When the fat is pretty much gone you have very few choices.  Lose hard earned muscle slowly, "the right way!", or put on the plastic suit, hop in the sauna and work off the same weight in 20 minutes and drink it back in 20 minutes after weigh ins. 

Matside weigh ins would "stop the madness" once and for all.  Other than that we are just wasting time even discussing it. 

It's not impossible. If you can't get down there in a healthy manner, through hard work and discipline, then I question why the kid is wrestling at that weight. Whose decision is that? Stopping the madness might be to just change the culture in high school, by wrestling at healthy weights, not skipping meals, not withholding fluids from your body. It's common practice in college, why can't it be in high school?

hammen

Quote from: stbird on February 15, 2014, 03:37:31 PM
Not sure about today, but what I saw in college was much worse than anything I saw in High School. When it comes down to sitting the bench or cutting the weight to be a state placer or All American the decision is pretty much made for you.  There are plenty of examples today in college wrestling.  Corey Clark at Iowa is one that comes to mind immediately.  He can't beat Ramos so he's making an extreme cut to 125 so that he can wrestle.  Sometimes situation dictates and highly competitive kids will do what it takes. 

Hammen keeps talkinga about "doing it the right way".  That is great in a perfect world, but the problem is that kids are wrestling below a healthy weight, so it is impossible to get their in a healthy way.  When the fat is pretty much gone you have very few choices.  Lose hard earned muscle slowly, "the right way!", or put on the plastic suit, hop in the sauna and work off the same weight in 20 minutes and drink it back in 20 minutes after weigh ins. 

Matside weigh ins would "stop the madness" once and for all.  Other than that we are just wasting time even discussing it. 

It's not impossible. If you can't get down there in a healthy manner, through hard work and discipline, then I question why the kid is wrestling at that weight. Whose decision is that? Stopping the madness might be to just change the culture in high school, by wrestling at healthy weights, not skipping meals, not withholding fluids from your body. It's common practice in college, why can't it be in high school?

Yes, but I can absolutely guarantee you that Clark is doing it in a healthy manner. He may be coming down from a much higher weight, but if he wasn't doing it the right way, I guarantee you the smaller, capable Gilman will be wrestling at the end of the year. It's easy to point out college guys who don't cut weight correctly because you will usually see them fade hard at the end of matches, so they are forced to do it the right way. The guys put in a lot more work in their weight cutting in college, and it's healthier than how guys skip meals, spit, etc in high school. I saw guys cut more weight in college as well, but it was done correctly by adults who are finished growing, and not crash cutting through unhealthy means by kids who are still growing in their teens, which seems to be commonplace in high school.

stbird

He may have learned his lesson, but I'm sure you recall Brands benching him for Gilman because he wasn't handling his weight cut properly and was really hurting when he had to wrestle in duals shortly after weigh ins. 

Quote from: hammen on February 15, 2014, 03:46:38 PM

Yes, but I can absolutely guarantee you that Clark is doing it in a healthy manner. He may be coming down from a much higher weight, but if he wasn't doing it the right way, I guarantee you the smaller, capable Gilman will be wrestling at the end of the year. It's easy to point out college guys who don't cut weight correctly because you will usually see them fade hard at the end of matches, so they are forced to do it the right way. The guys put in a lot more work in their weight cutting in college, and it's healthier than how guys skip meals, spit, etc in high school. I saw guys cut more weight in college as well, but it was done correctly by adults who are finished growing, and not crash cutting through unhealthy means by kids who are still growing in their teens, which seems to be commonplace in high school.

hammen

Quote from: stbird on February 15, 2014, 03:52:46 PM
He may have learned his lesson, but I'm sure you recall Brands benching him for Gilman because he wasn't handling his weight cut properly and was really hurting when he had to wrestle in duals shortly after weigh ins. 

Quote from: hammen on February 15, 2014, 03:46:38 PM

Yes, and that will happen when guys don't do it the right way. Most college coaches have zero tolerance with improper weight cutting. Maybe high school coaches / parents / kids should take notes.

harley

Weigh them in mat side and send them out on the mat to wrestle directly after. I bet that would put an end to the crazy weight cutting most college wrestlers are expected to do

mevsyou

Quote from: 1Iota on February 15, 2014, 10:32:46 AM
Quote from: stbird on February 14, 2014, 09:48:26 PM
What a topic!  Having once been a drastic weight cutter, I'm not sure if most commenting on here know how extreme it can get.  Matside weigh ins would cure all the problems.  1/2 pound a day limit helps, but still is pretty much a joke.  How about this more realistic scenario.  Boy weighs in at let's say 120 pounds on Saturday morning.  By the time the boy goes to bed that night after wrestling and dinner he's at 130 pounds, eat more on Sunday and goes to bed at 135 pounds.  By the next Saturday he's down at 120.  Anybody thinks this isn't happening routinely just doesn't know.  99 percent of parents don't have a clue.  If they knew they'd be upset, especially mothers, but if the kids know that, they won't tell their parents the truth about what their weight is.  All the coaches want to know is if you are going to make weight.  In my years of wrestling I don't recall a coach ever watching me step on the scale except at weigh ins.  I think the weight certification helps a little bit, but giving parents the option to let their kids drop another weight class?  WTH is that?  Again, if we really want to solve the problem, mat side weigh ins is the way to go. 

I might repost this once a week jus to keep it on the forum.  A few years back the 106lb champion in D-1 was working a youth tournament the very next day.  He acknowledge to us that he weighed 124lbs that morning, not 12 hours removed from wrestling his championship match. 

I think that same kid wrestled 130 or 135 at Greco/Freestyle State a few weeks later.