Starting Tournaments at Lightest Weight Class

Started by pitman, February 09, 2014, 06:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody53

Quote from: Big House on February 12, 2014, 03:18:40 PM
I want a complete random order!  Shake things up!

Who at the WIAA has got some seeds to make this happen?  Maybe I'll pull in a few favors ... I used to date Wade Labecki you know ...
Doing me no favors here.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Big House

People are always gonna talk and to tell you the truth, I love it. I love the attention.
I do what I do because it puts a smile on my face . . . and I'm the only person in the world that matters. - Jenna Jameson

littleguy301

Quote from: Big House on February 13, 2014, 10:35:38 AM
Littleguy ... help me out here ...

Your the one that used to date Labecki, I think that should help ;)
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Big House

You're not helping ... I know you got an in ...
People are always gonna talk and to tell you the truth, I love it. I love the attention.
I do what I do because it puts a smile on my face . . . and I'm the only person in the world that matters. - Jenna Jameson

RollTide

I've always liked how the Cheesehead arranges it so that the marquis matchup happens last.

pitman

It would really add excitement to the end of a conference or regional to have the "two best" or most closely matched wrestlers as the final. Or, coaches vote on the best finale and announce starting point during break between semi's and finals.
now you're messin' with a S.O.B.

MNbadger

Matches should always start with the lowest weight. 
If you notice, every "big match up" in college starts at 125.

Sometimes there will be a marque match up held to the end but i don't like that myself, it puts certain wrestlers/matches somewhat arbitrarily above others.

Do you start the state tournament anywhere other than 106?  The season should be run the same as the state tournament and vice versa.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

goblinmonger

I think college is different from the high school tournament experience.

If everyone stayed until the end like most of the big college match ups, it would be different. It must be a little frustrating for the heavier weights when Outstanding Wrestler ballots are being called for around 160. I would imagine it is a little frustrating wrestling in the heavyweight championship round when most all of the crowd is gone and they are taking down the mats around you.

pitman

The thought is why not do it at state and all tournaments. Just because something has been done the same for a long time doesn't mean it should stay that way. ( I got rid of my rotary phone)

Big House

Quote from: pitman on February 13, 2014, 04:33:35 PM
The thought is why not do it at state and all tournaments. Just because something has been done the same for a long time doesn't mean it should stay that way. ( I got rid of my rotary phone)

Agreed!

DarkKnight

All great points.

Change is hard, though. Especially when the system isn't broken. It works.

I assume, in later years, they may experiment with changes in the order.

Big House

Quote from: DarkKnight on February 14, 2014, 10:45:28 AM

Imagine the biggest match of your career and everyone is leaving the Kohl Center ... that seems broken to me.

imwi

Quote from: Big House on February 14, 2014, 11:34:51 AM
Quote from: DarkKnight on February 14, 2014, 10:45:28 AM

Imagine the biggest match of your career and everyone is leaving the Kohl Center ... that seems broken to me.

Don't you think people are going to leave early no matter who is wrestling last?  You are correct, people do leave during the match and I feel bad for the wrestlers, but if they were to change the order, I think I would still end up feeling bad, it just would be for wrestlers at a different weight class.  I don't think people are leaving because the heavies are wrestling, I think people are leaving because they think they have something more important to do than support the kid in his biggest match of his career

imnofish

Quote from: Big House on February 12, 2014, 12:36:52 PM
It would lead to confusion during the rest of the tournament ... but I see no reason that the finals couldn't be in random order.  Announce the order before the tournament even starts so everyone knows the order though. 

I'd love to see a packed BIG HOUSE for the 285 finals!

+1  All good points.   8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

pitman

Very good points. Why not let someone else wrestle to less than half the crowd.