Opening weekend

Started by Kjohnson, November 24, 2013, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kjohnson

It was coooooooold.  Snow good, wind bad.  I only saw one deer , my son saw 7, shot and missed a buck/doe  who were together. Shot a nub buck. He was going to let it go, but the time and location were in his favor so now we have venison in the freezer.  Still learning the lay of our new leased land. Had some car problems so we stopped early on Sunday.  I plan to go back up on Tuesday. Hopefully it will be warmer.  Ever since my son almost got frostbite of the toes in the Army ( he said he was one stage away)  he has a hard time with the cold.  Tried a couple of different footwear that we brought along and it was better Saturday pm and Sunday am.

It was a safe hunt, so that means it was a successful hunt.

How did everyone else do?

harley

Worst opening weekend ever up North, there was hardly any shooting. There just not many deer around this area any more, The DNR are some of the best politician EVER!!!!

imnofish

I had a successful opening day, comfortably and safely watching the Badger game in my son's living room.  Kj, glad to hear that you had some success, in spite of the cold weather. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Harris

I agree with harley.  Very slow up north.  Did not hear many shots compared to previous years.  I live up north and would not blame it on the DNR completely  ;)  I think it had more to do with the weather. 

Got a seven pointer today.  Only buck in our group so far.

imnofish

Quote from: Harris on November 24, 2013, 08:05:23 PM
I agree with harley.  Very slow up north.  Did not hear many shots compared to previous years.  I live up north and would not blame it on the DNR completely  ;)  I think it had more to do with the weather. 

Got a seven pointer today.  Only buck in our group so far.

Nice going!  I also live up north and we had so many deer this summer that people were getting severe damage to trees, shrubs, flowers, gardens, etc., all over town.  Our city council is actually entertaining the possibility of having a bow season in the city.  Our county has been having at least 10 car-deer collisions daily for the past few weeks, too.  Maybe that's what happened to all of the deer...  :P
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

jeast

Quote from: Kjohnson on November 24, 2013, 05:13:54 PM

It was coooooooold.  Snow good, wind bad.  I only saw one deer , my son saw 7, shot and missed a buck/doe  who were together. Shot a nub buck. He was going to let it go, but the time and location were in his favor so now we have venison in the freezer.  Still learning the lay of our new leased land. Had some car problems so we stopped early on Sunday.  I plan to go back up on Tuesday. Hopefully it will be warmer.  Ever since my son almost got frostbite of the toes in the Army ( he said he was one stage away)  he has a hard time with the cold.  Tried a couple of different footwear that we brought along and it was better Saturday pm and Sunday am.

Just wanted to suggest foot warmers.  I get the ones with adhesive that you put in the bottom of your boots.  They are extremely thin and you don't even know they're in there except your feet are overly warm.  Lasts all day and my feet sweat with them...which is a problem...but not as big a problem as cold feet.  Hand warmers in my gloves too helps immensely.
"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

Houndhead

Quote from: jeast on November 26, 2013, 08:55:25 AM

Just wanted to suggest foot warmers.  I get the ones with adhesive that you put in the bottom of your boots.  They are extremely thin and you don't even know they're in there except your feet are overly warm.  Lasts all day and my feet sweat with them...which is a problem...but not as big a problem as cold feet.  Hand warmers in my gloves too helps immensely.

I have never tried them, but someone just told me they used the boot blankets over the weekend, and they worked great.

ramjet

Boot Blankets are the best made by Ice Breaker.

Things were slow up here because many hunters were out of the woods by noon.

I was able to harvest a nice 6 pointer would have been an eight except he was fighter and broke off his right side. if he had the right side would have estimated him at about 18" inside spread. He dressed out at 168 lbs. Nice healthy buck I shot him with Custom Gary Reeder Lever Action called "Bad Medicine" 375 GNR #2 which is a 45-70 necked down to 375 and with cast bullet that I cast and loaded 250 grains at 2100 FPS.

Then Saturday took a nice big doe which I donated to the local food pantry. I took this one with Henry Brass 30-30 Rifle loaded with Barnes X-bullet 150 grain FP.

I saw 29 deer over the Gun season yes I live in the north woods but three days I went out and covered ground and moved some of those. On Tuesday when I shot my buck I had put on 7.5 miles it was a wonderful day in the woods.

One other item for cold weather hunting that I can suggest; Heater Body Suit.

imnofish

Quote from: Houndhead on November 26, 2013, 10:56:54 AM
Quote from: jeast on November 26, 2013, 08:55:25 AM

I have never tried them, but someone just told me they used the boot blankets over the weekend, and they worked great.

I've used them while ice fishing and they helped quite a bit.

TomM

Is there a bow season or some other season still in effect for deer right now and until when if there is?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Houndhead

Quote from: TomM on December 07, 2013, 12:42:36 PM
Is there a bow season or some other season still in effect for deer right now and until when if there is?

There is a muzzleloader season until Tuesday, followed by a 4 day antler less hunt next Thursday-Sunday. And the bow season is also open until January.

jeast

Our party, (two of my sons, a no good brother in law from illinois and his son) got one small bambi doe (nephew).  Saw lots of deer.  My sons and I all passed up small bucks, so that means we will be seeing them again next year.

Thanksgiving day I shot a nice adult doe at first light.  Then on Saturday night (day 8) I shot another nice adult doe at dusk. 

Both deer were with other deer, small bucks and fawns...just doing what they normally do.  Very nice situation.  Both deer went down literally in their tracks.  We did see one shooter buck, but he was skylined with houses behind him.  No shots were taken.  Was out last night and saw two shooter bucks together.
Looking forward to shed hunting and then next season already! 
"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

ramjet

wow sounds like some great table fare jeast.

maggie

Rammy, that's a lot of Rambling!...7 miles.. :o  wow, unreal...were you hunting alone?...do you see any Wolf tracks in your travels?
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

imnofish

Just talked to a former co-worker, who retired way before I did, but is still an avid hunter.  Despite hunting in the northland, he and all of his boys filled their tags this year.  They have consistently had this kind of success for decades.  I guess the best hunters find a way to get 'er done, even in the worst conditions.   :o