Deer Hunting Question

Started by Kjohnson, November 12, 2013, 01:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeast

We always try to leave some standing corn as well.  Reason???  Because we love hunting standing corn.  One or two men only.  Side by side if two.  Walk against the rows.  Each person looking down their row and then stepping into that row.  Look down the next, repeat.  You will actually find deer bedded and they never have a clue unless you are unlucky enough to walk right up on them bedded right in front of your walk. 

Continue to the end of the field.  Walk down to 2x the distance you can see down the row and repeat coming back against the rows.

We have harvested numerous deer in this manner.  The rows create a shooting lane so to speak.  We have several kills with a "Texas Heart Shot".  Great shot if you can get it.

;D
"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

Houndhead

Quote from: Kjohnson on November 14, 2013, 05:40:34 AM
Lets get back on task, Please tell me about your hunting tactics.

Are you new to the sport KJ or just exited about your new lease and hoping to be as prepared as you can be?

maggie

JEAST, as fun as it is hunting standing corn fields, it also the most dangerous way to hunt...more so when Buckshot was out there..lol..
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Handles II

Ramjet,
I wasn't knocking or denying that you had shot that many deer. Plenty of people have, especially when party hunting was the in-thing.  For lots of people Brown = Down man.  We used to have a guy in our party who would shoot 6-8 bucks every year opening weekend and have everyone else in the party tag them. He's no longer invited on the property. Who wouldda guessed that some people would rather hunt for their own deer?
You are right, my chosen profession doesn't allow me to do all of the hunting that you do, pay or time off available.  You've got it made ramjet. Good for you.

I'm going to agree with Maggie that cornfield hunting CAN be one of the most dangerous styles of hunting, that said, I know that it works and CAN be safe if done correctly. The problem comes when it's inavertently done incorrectly.

Kjohnson

Quote from: Houndhead on November 14, 2013, 08:26:26 AM

Are you new to the sport KJ or just exited about your new lease and hoping to be as prepared as you can be?

I am a self taught hunter. My family never hunted and I had college roommates that hunted and I went out with them once.  About 14 years ago my oldest son wanted to hunt, so I decided to learn the sport of deer hunting. We both took the Hunter Safety Class. Had a friend help me with the safe handling and shooting of a rifle (wanted more info than the Class  offered). Had the friend help me with rifle purchases, bought 1 new, 1 used.

I then signed my son up for the Learn to Hunt Wookshop at Sandhill.  The first year we hunted the Workshop, Youth Hunt and regular season.  I found a place near Merrill where we leased land for the Youth & regular season.  The land had a 2 person scaffolding that we were able to sit together. It wasn

imnofish

Buy an old beater pickup truck for cheap.  Then drive it around on the back roads near popular hunting areas.  When deer cross the road, you can get and process your venison burger in an instant.  If your deer takes evasive action, you can often counter successfully with an open truck door.  The old trucks have heavy-duty bumpers and who cares about dents anyway, right?  This method is cheaper and safer than conventional methods and a lot less work.  You might even profit by opening your own "Road Kill Cafe."   ;)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Handles II

Venison hamburger all over 90/94 this morning. Saw a guy loading a big doe into his trunk (or attempting to) 20 yards down the road and on the other side was a nice 10pt buck. If I had my bone saw with me I would have gotten a new set of rattlin' antlers.

Good Luck KJ, most of all, and I think I can speak for all of us that you guys have a fun and safe hunt.

imnofish

Quote from: Handles II on November 14, 2013, 11:28:12 AM
Venison hamburger all over 90/94 this morning. Saw a guy loading a big doe into his trunk (or attempting to) 20 yards down the road and on the other side was a nice 10pt buck. If I had my bone saw with me I would have gotten a new set of rattlin' antlers.

Good Luck KJ, most of all, and I think I can speak for all of us that you guys have a fun and safe hunt.

No matter how successful you are, that's the main thing that makes the experience worthwhile. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Houndhead

Quote from: Kjohnson on November 14, 2013, 10:06:53 AM
Quote from: Houndhead on November 14, 2013, 08:26:26 AM

I am a self taught hunter. My family never hunted and I had college roommates that hunted and I went out with them once.  About 14 years ago my oldest son wanted to hunt, so I decided to learn the sport of deer hunting. We both took the Hunter Safety Class. Had a friend help me with the safe handling and shooting of a rifle (wanted more info than the Class  offered). Had the friend help me with rifle purchases, bought 1 new, 1 used.

I then signed my son up for the Learn to Hunt Wookshop at Sandhill.  The first year we hunted the Workshop, Youth Hunt and regular season.  I found a place near Merrill where we leased land for the Youth & regular season.  The land had a 2 person scaffolding that we were able to sit together. It wasn

Kjohnson

When my son was younger he couldn

Roo

KJ,

The other thing I would add is that since this land is new to you and it will be your first season there, think of it as an educational experience to some degree.  I have owned the land I hunt now for 3 years and finally this year have the deer movement patterns figured for Bow season. Gun season is a different animal once the shooting starts, their normal patterns change.

Still hunting offers you the ability to possible see/shoot a deer, as well as understand the property you're hunting much better....which should help in future years.

Again , good luck to you and your Boys.

Kjohnson

Quote from: Roo on November 14, 2013, 12:24:09 PM
KJ,

The other thing I would add is that since this land is new to you and it will be your first season there, think of it as an educational experience to some degree.  I have owned the land I hunt now for 3 years and finally this year have the deer movement patterns figured for Bow season. Gun season is a different animal once the shooting starts, their normal patterns change.

Still hunting offers you the ability to possible see/shoot a deer, as well as understand the property you're hunting much better....which should help in future years.

Again , good luck to you and your Boys.

That is my plan, learn the land. The land owner wants to have someone for the long term. In  fact on year 3 I get a discount.

ramjet

Quote from: Handles II on November 14, 2013, 09:33:34 AM
Ramjet,
I wasn't knocking or denying that you had shot that many deer. Plenty of people have, especially when party hunting was the in-thing.  For lots of people Brown = Down man.  We used to have a guy in our party who would shoot 6-8 bucks every year opening weekend and have everyone else in the party tag them. He's no longer invited on the property. Who wouldda guessed that some people would rather hunt for their own deer?
You are right, my chosen profession doesn't allow me to do all of the hunting that you do, pay or time off available.  You've got it made ramjet. Good for you.

I'm going to agree with Maggie that cornfield hunting CAN be one of the most dangerous styles of hunting, that said, I know that it works and CAN be safe if done correctly. The problem comes when it's inavertently done incorrectly.

FYI I have and will continue to donate deer and pay for the processing to local food pantries and families in need. I only keep what we can consume but never does that deer go to waste.

Were good corn field hunting is scary business unless archery hunting you can go down two rows away sneak over and get a shot at bedded deer. Guns no way no how.

KJ enjoy and good luck you have the right thing in mind the experience is worth the effort even if you go home empty handed it is all fun.

Handles II

Quote from: ramjet on November 14, 2013, 01:36:05 PM
Quote from: Handles II on November 14, 2013, 09:33:34 AM
Ramjet,
I wasn't knocking or denying that you had shot that many deer. Plenty of people have, especially when party hunting was the in-thing.  For lots of people Brown = Down man.  We used to have a guy in our party who would shoot 6-8 bucks every year opening weekend and have everyone else in the party tag them. He's no longer invited on the property. Who wouldda guessed that some people would rather hunt for their own deer?
You are right, my chosen profession doesn't allow me to do all of the hunting that you do, pay or time off available.  You've got it made ramjet. Good for you.

FYI I have and will continue to donate deer and pay for the processing to local food pantries and families in need. I only keep what we can consume but never does that deer go to waste.

Good for you.

jeast

Here's another trick for getting the bucks interested in where your stand is.  Take and cut down a small scrub tree or a nice sized limb off of a tree in the yard.  Take your post hole digger or a shovel and put that thing in the ground within shooting range (bow or gun).  Take your foot and rub the ground clean of grass or leaves under a licking branch (this is a branch that is small in diameter and within 5 feet of your home made scrape) squirt some doe pee (available at walmart or any place that sells gear) on the scrape, then some dominant buck paste on that licking stick.  HA! 
Whenever I do this, I get bucks hitting it like crazy.  Increases your odds of a buck checking that scrape out anytime he's near.  Works during gun season too.  Mainly because there's always a doe in heat until december...some are earlier some are later and some don't get bred and come back in within the first rut...so give it a shot.  Only takes 10 minutes to do and it does work.
"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"