hound, the ruts started down this way...

Started by maggie, October 25, 2013, 03:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maggie

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=735846179763442&set=a.156473637700702.32709.100000141992643&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf   my nephew Nick ...only 17" but a thick little guy...green scored @ 137..not big enough to mount tho...
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Houndhead

Quote from: maggie on October 25, 2013, 03:37:29 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=735846179763442&set=a.156473637700702.32709.100000141992643&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf   my nephew Nick ...only 17" but a thick little guy...green scored @ 137..not big enough to mount tho...

Nice buck.

The deer hunting in this area has really fallen into a bad place the last few years. The common belief right now is that there was a significant winter kill here last year with the snow cover we had into May. Guys that spend much more time and effort pursuing Whitetails than I do are claiming the mature bucks are few and far between. I have yet to have a horn on the two cameras that I have had out for the last 3 weeks. Hopefully they will show up now with the rut. I did see my first scrape yesterday morning while I was out calling for wolves with a buddy.

maggie

I Do understand, you have  LOT MORE WOODS and a lot more area to fill, with what we all want, BIG MATURE BUCKS... ;) can be far and in between with your area, but if done correct, it's worth the wild...more waiting! that's for sure...most of the time anyways... :) good luck bud!   

bigoil

My family has a cabin up by you near Hayward/Seely fire lane, no deer there from my brothers cameras.

maggie

one the other hand howavi, I sometimes head up to the Cabin and hunt just a little south of "the heart of it all"  right off of F across from Ham lake and we have plenty of pictures of deer and a few nice bucks are in there also...

bigG

Kid in my school took out a beautiful 11 pointer. Field dressed (get ready) at 245 lbs. Love to know what he weighed with guts.
They're out there.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

maggie

that's HUGE G....would like to see a pic of that..

bigG

I'll see if he does. He's a bit of a back woods sort. He hunts for meat. Just got lucky on this guy. I'll ask him. You should meet this kid. I wonder if he's ever had human raised meat. Good , honest young fella, though. Sure has grown on me over the years.

He just had the rack Monday morning and I asked about the rest of the deer. Saw the 245 and was impressed (obviously). They'll be cuttin' him up in class (the deer, not the young man ;)). I think it's great to have to supervise the kids all working together on their kills. Everybody celebrating the other's hunting. Character builder.

Todd

This past weekend at the end of our subdivision where Cty line is a guy was loading what looked to be about an 8 point buck he got with his bow.  My daughter saw that he had cut the antlers off and said that man is mean, grandpa is mean and why would you kill a deer when you can go to the grocery store?  I had to tell her that daddy's mean too because he loves the venison that he gets from grandpa!
"This page intentionally left blank".

Houndhead

Quote from: Todd on October 30, 2013, 08:39:55 AM
This past weekend at the end of our subdivision where Cty line is a guy was loading what looked to be about an 8 point buck he got with his bow.  My daughter saw that he had cut the antlers off and said that man is mean, grandpa is mean and why would you kill a deer when you can go to the grocery store?  I had to tell her that daddy's mean too because he loves the venison that he gets from grandpa!

Did you explain where the meat at the grocery store comes from?

Todd

Quote from: Houndhead on October 30, 2013, 10:59:36 AM

I'd rather she not be a vegitarian at 7 so no.  She'll learn soon enough.
"This page intentionally left blank".

maggie

ya, that's to young to try and explaining something like that to a girl......nor should you ever told her about grandpa meat... :) hound, I was out driving around yesterday around deer time in my truck with a guy i work with, he's from Chippewa Falls, I pulled into the gate where i hunt and parked on the hill overlooking some good area, about 2 mins after we pulled in, my buddies say, look at that buck! i looked over and seen him coming down a trail that was maybe 60 yds from us nose to the ground, but not a doe in sight, my buddies said he's never seen a rack that big before and he has some prime hunting of his own back home, i said, yaaa, Dang that's a dandy!...as soon as he lifted his head, it was almost like he was hit with a bolt of lighting!..GONEEEEEEEEEE he went across a field at about Mach 10... :D  one of the funniest thing i ever seen...i was trying to get my phone to get a pic...but i didn't have much luck...was as thick as the one in the photo i posted, but above 7-9" wider...with my knee, I can't get in my tree quite yet, so I'm going to sit on the ground and hope for the best for until maybe next mon...I'll; get a picture of him sooner or later!  ;)

Houndhead

Quote from: Todd on October 30, 2013, 11:04:07 AM
Quote from: Houndhead on October 30, 2013, 10:59:36 AM

I'd rather she not be a vegitarian at 7 so no.  She'll learn soon enough.

Agreed, 7 is a bit too young.

maggie

Ruts on men!....had a good friend bow one 2 nights ago, had his head right on the ground, never raised it up once on his way by, till he got smacked! a perfect 8, that green scored 171 6/8.... :)...one I'll never see again... :(

bigG

"Ruts on men!"

Don't be ruttin' on this man. He don't take kind to forced ruttin. :)