Things before unseen

Started by jeast, May 22, 2013, 02:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeast

So, would like to start a list of things I have seen in recent years (last decade) which were not around when I was young (70's and earlier).

Turkey; River Otter; Bald Eagle; Osprey; Perigine Falcon (as well as many other types of birds of prey); Mountain Lion; Black Bear; Wolf; White-tailed deer (there were some, but not many and everyone from around here went "up north" to hunt deer); coyote; smallmouth (again, some but not like now); Walleye (same, few and far between 1970); Trout (almost no trout streams back then).

Things that used to be and are no more:   Grouse (used to have lots and lots of grouse, haven't heard a drummer in years); Grey Fox.  Hmm....

So, tell me again how humans have destroyed nature?  Just saying.

"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

badgerjohn

Quote from: jeast on May 22, 2013, 02:10:00 PM
So, would like to start a list of things I have seen in recent years (last decade) which were not around when I was young (70's and earlier).

Turkey; River Otter; Bald Eagle; Osprey; Perigine Falcon (as well as many other types of birds of prey); Mountain Lion; Black Bear; Wolf; White-tailed deer (there were some, but not many and everyone from around here went "up north" to hunt deer); coyote; smallmouth (again, some but not like now); Walleye (same, few and far between 1970); Trout (almost no trout streams back then).

Things that used to be and are no more:   Grouse (used to have lots and lots of grouse, haven't heard a drummer in years); Grey Fox.  Hmm....

I still want to know if the tree makes noise when it falls if nobody is there to hear it.  Wait, maybe  we need a new topic for things before unheard?    :-\

Don't mind my stupidness, just trying to maintain some sanity today.  It's one of those days...
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

imnofish

Environmental regulations have improved water and air quality significantly in some places, such as the southern half of Wisconsin, since the early 1970's.  Now, I think walleye fishing is better down there than it is up in the north. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigoil

Pelicans have been here in Green Bay for about ten years.

littleguy301

Havent seen many grouse like I did as a kid in the 70's though I have been seeing some grey foxes lately. I havent seen a red fox in some time.

I also know that the coyotes are more and more over the past decade in my area. The possiums came up in the drought of 1988 and man I still see those stinkers alot.

I have seen 1 snowshoe/jackrabbit in the past 15 years. Man as a youth I would see them alot and they were the coolest things to see get up and run! I think the possiums had something to do with them and maybe the grouse.

Used to hear about more rattlessnakes in the 80's and 90's but I dont hear about them as much any more in my area.

Also, I dont see many single family farms anymore,,,,ok,,,side joke there ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigoil

We have quite a few red foxes here.

How about pheasants? I was told they were in this area and haven't been in quite some time. Use to hunt them in Milwaukee area.

imnofish

Quote from: howavi on May 22, 2013, 09:50:23 PM
We have quite a few red foxes here.

How about pheasants? I was told they were in this area and haven't been in quite some time. Use to hunt them in Milwaukee area.

We frequently see pheasants up here today, but 35 years ago they were rare in this area. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

TomM

I live in a great spot.. out in country, top of hill crest... overlooking the 120 acres my neighbor owns... about 50 acres of farm field, but the rest is wetlands and some marsh hay area... Here since October 1999.  Before my dog moved in, the pheasants would come right up to the house to eat below the bird feeders.  Have pictures from a day when there were 35 on the patio below my kitchen.  One day there were 52 (as best as I could count) morning doves in same spot... both times on the snow eating dropped seed.
I see numerous sandhill cranes and my neighbor tells me there was a whooping crane out here three years ago and I guess I missed it.  This year, second in a row, there is a whooping crane (not the same one) hanging out five miles west of my house in the next township over (Shields).  They have identified both by use of camera and the bands on their legs.
Also have seen coyotes in the marsh... Canada geese, turkeys (many last three years) ... deer, including the white one in 2009 ...
http://www.wiwrestling.com/miscfiles/deer/deerindex.htm  Heard someone shot it.
Lots of hawks and owls and screech owls.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Todd

Quote from: imnofish on May 22, 2013, 05:52:43 PM

Environmental regulations have improved water and air quality significantly in some places, such as the southern half of Wisconsin, since the early 1970's.  Now, I think walleye fishing is better down there than it is up in the north. 

+1
"This page intentionally left blank".

Todd

Quote from: littleguy301 on May 22, 2013, 08:32:54 PM
Havent seen many grouse like I did as a kid in the 70's though I have been seeing some grey foxes lately. I havent seen a red fox in some time.

I also know that the coyotes are more and more over the past decade in my area. The possiums came up in the drought of 1988 and man I still see those stinkers alot.

I have seen 1 snowshoe/jackrabbit in the past 15 years. Man as a youth I would see them alot and they were the coolest things to see get up and run! I think the possiums had something to do with them and maybe the grouse.

Used to hear about more rattlessnakes in the 80's and 90's but I dont hear about them as much any more in my area.

Also, I dont see many single family farms anymore,,,,ok,,,side joke there ;D

What about Jackalopes?  Seen any of those recently?
"This page intentionally left blank".

Kjohnson

Where I keep my trailer, we used to see deer all the time. Now that you aren

Houndhead

Moose, elk, wolves and fisher are things I have seen in recent years. The fisher population exploded in the early 90's in the north. Not as many now, and more of them in the central part of the state. I remember when I was a kid, a grey fox was a rare to see. Now I think they are as common as the reds.

Fish, why do you think the walleye has declined in the north?

bigG

Perch have been down for like 2 decades now. Last year they were all over the Miss. I don't know anyone who fished at that time that didn't just kill 'em.

Hard to figure these critters. We have a healthy fisher population around my area. Saw one two weekends ago when I was fishing with the boy.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bigoil

GB perch/lake perch have been decimated by other species (prob human too, yum including the white perch).

Definitely more black bears.

Anyone else see the pelicans in their area?

Houndhead

Quote from: bigG on May 23, 2013, 06:51:01 AM
Perch have been down for like 2 decades now. Last year they were all over the Miss. I don't know anyone who fished at that time that didn't just kill 'em.

Hard to figure these critters. We have a healthy fisher population around my area. Saw one two weekends ago when I was fishing with the boy.

Those fishers are hard on the small game.