hummingbird(s)

Started by TomM, May 22, 2013, 08:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imnofish

Quote from: TomM on May 22, 2013, 08:47:45 PM
Quote from: imnofish on May 22, 2013, 05:45:35 PM
Quote from: TomM on May 22, 2013, 08:30:44 AM
Put the feeder out today for hummingbirds... Anyone see them in Wisconsin yet this year?

Yes, I have 2 of them on my boat - one installed on the bow and one on the stern.  Oops, thought you meant Humminbird.   ;)
Love fishing, but hardly ever go..  :-[
Had to do a search for 'humminbird' ...  :D

Know why hummingbirds hum?  It's 'cause they don't know the words.   ;D
My goal over the next week is to open up our campsite and get my boat in the water.  That late snow put us behind on just about everything. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Todd

Put the feeder out today for hummingbirds... Anyone see them in Wisconsin yet this year?

Yes, I have 2 of them on my boat - one installed on the bow and one on the stern.  Oops, thought you meant Humminbird.   ;)

I believe it's a trolling motor.  Maybe we should call group trolls humminbirds.   :D
"This page intentionally left blank".

DrSnide

Quote from: Chris Hansen on May 22, 2013, 02:30:50 PM
I have had the hummingbirds for two weeks (up North) so anyone who hasn't had them just hasn't attracted them yet.  However, no Orioles yet.

You guys ever see a hummingbird moth?  Last year I saw them for my first time, I had never even heard of them.  Took a bunch of photos, etc.  Wasn't until reviewing photos that I noticed something strange - antennas!  Google'd it and found out they were moths.

On another note, you are truly old when you begin sharing bird watching stories.  So anyway, how is the weather?  Is it hot enough for you?  Anyone need a ride to the clinic?  My back hurts.

Was in Wilard WI for a hospital event yesterday (Willard is by Thorp, Which just past Stanley, Which is just past Cadott, Which is just past Chippewa Falls, which is by Eau Claire :)) and saw a bunch of humming birds yesterday including a wonderful scarlet necked male.  Also saw two orioles waiting for me to leave so they could get to their grape jelly.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

imnofish

Quote from: Todd on May 23, 2013, 10:51:20 AM

Yes, I have 2 of them on my boat - one installed on the bow and one on the stern.  Oops, thought you meant Humminbird.   ;)
Love fishing, but hardly ever go..  :-[
Had to do a search for 'humminbird' ...  :D

I believe it's a trolling motor.  Maybe we should call group trolls humminbirds.   :D

Humminbird is a brand of sonar unit.  There are many different models, offering an array of features, including gps and pre-loaded maps. 

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Houndhead

Quote from: DrSnide on May 23, 2013, 11:17:39 AM
I have had the hummingbirds for two weeks (up North) so anyone who hasn't had them just hasn't attracted them yet.  However, no Orioles yet.

You guys ever see a hummingbird moth?  Last year I saw them for my first time, I had never even heard of them.  Took a bunch of photos, etc.  Wasn't until reviewing photos that I noticed something strange - antennas!  Google'd it and found out they were moths.

On another note, you are truly old when you begin sharing bird watching stories.  So anyway, how is the weather?  Is it hot enough for you?  Anyone need a ride to the clinic?  My back hurts.

Was in Wilard WI for a hospital event yesterday (Willard is by Thorp, Which just past Stanley, Which is just past Cadott, Which is just past Chippewa Falls, which is by Eau Claire :)) and saw a bunch of humming birds yesterday including a wonderful scarlet necked male.  Also saw two orioles waiting for me to leave so they could get to their grape jelly.

I had a great burger and deep fried cheese curds at Dale's North Mound in the rural area of Willard last friday. They curds are the real deal, not boughten frozen off from a truck.

DrSnide

Quote from: Houndhead on May 23, 2013, 12:10:33 PM

I had a great burger and deep fried cheese curds at Dale's North Mound in the rural area of Willard last friday. They curds are the real deal, not boughten frozen off from a truck.
Isn't all of Willard pretty much a "rural area"?  ;D

Houndhead

Quote from: Todd on May 23, 2013, 10:51:20 AM

I believe it's a trolling motor.  Maybe we should call group trolls humminbirds.   :D

Humminbird makes many of the electronics used for fishing; trolling motors, fish locators, gps, ice flasher's

Houndhead

Quote from: DrSnide on May 23, 2013, 12:12:16 PM

Not if you are "downtown". ;D

DrSnide

Quote from: Houndhead on May 23, 2013, 12:15:57 PM

Must have blinked ;D

But thanks for the tip, the only food they serve where I was at is hippie vegitarian stuff.  I may need to stop and get a good burger next time I'm up there....

Todd

Quote from: DrSnide on May 23, 2013, 02:49:01 PM
I have had the hummingbirds for two weeks (up North) so anyone who hasn't had them just hasn't attracted them yet.  However, no Orioles yet.

You guys ever see a hummingbird moth?  Last year I saw them for my first time, I had never even heard of them.  Took a bunch of photos, etc.  Wasn't until reviewing photos that I noticed something strange - antennas!  Google'd it and found out they were moths.

On another note, you are truly old when you begin sharing bird watching stories.  So anyway, how is the weather?  Is it hot enough for you?  Anyone need a ride to the clinic?  My back hurts.

Was in Wilard WI for a hospital event yesterday (Willard is by Thorp, Which just past Stanley, Which is just past Cadott, Which is just past Chippewa Falls, which is by Eau Claire :)) and saw a bunch of humming birds yesterday including a wonderful scarlet necked male.  Also saw two orioles waiting for me to leave so they could get to their grape jelly.

Isn't all of Willard pretty much a "rural area"?  ;D

Must have blinked ;D

But thanks for the tip, the only food they serve where I was at is hippie vegitarian stuff.  I may need to stop and get a good burger next time I'm up there....

Only you could be in a rural area of Meat & Potatoes and find the hippie vegitarian place.  How is that possible?   :D

DrSnide

Quote from: Todd on May 23, 2013, 02:55:56 PM
Quote from: DrSnide on May 23, 2013, 02:49:01 PM
I have had the hummingbirds for two weeks (up North) so anyone who hasn't had them just hasn't attracted them yet.  However, no Orioles yet.

You guys ever see a hummingbird moth?  Last year I saw them for my first time, I had never even heard of them.  Took a bunch of photos, etc.  Wasn't until reviewing photos that I noticed something strange - antennas!  Google'd it and found out they were moths.

On another note, you are truly old when you begin sharing bird watching stories.  So anyway, how is the weather?  Is it hot enough for you?  Anyone need a ride to the clinic?  My back hurts.

Was in Wilard WI for a hospital event yesterday (Willard is by Thorp, Which just past Stanley, Which is just past Cadott, Which is just past Chippewa Falls, which is by Eau Claire :)) and saw a bunch of humming birds yesterday including a wonderful scarlet necked male.  Also saw two orioles waiting for me to leave so they could get to their grape jelly.

Isn't all of Willard pretty much a "rural area"?  ;D

Must have blinked ;D

But thanks for the tip, the only food they serve where I was at is hippie vegitarian stuff.  I may need to stop and get a good burger next time I'm up there....

Only you could be in a rural area of Meat & Potatoes and find the hippie vegitarian place.  How is that possible?   :D

There is a retreat center up there called the Christine Center that we hold many of our Mission based trainings at for the hospital.  Wonderful place run by wonderful ladies (they also have Jungian psychotherapist up there - had a great discussion about archetypes and dream symbology over lunch) but they believe in hippie food and there is not meat allowed.  When I spent a couple of night up there I snuck in some beef jerky in my cabin to hold me over ;)

Here's a link:

http://www.christinecenter.org/

Great place to hang out, don't let the Catholic thing scare you, its truly hippie nuns (never thought I would say that) and they have a great interest in Eastern Religions and interfaith stuff. 

Todd

I will check it out.  Love Jungian Psychotherapy!  I love Hippie Nuns.  Got a few who are friends, mostly Fransiscan's. 

I also love beef jerky.   ;D

DrSnide

Quote from: Todd on May 23, 2013, 03:06:47 PM
I will check it out.  Love Jungian Psychotherapy!  I love Hippie Nuns.  Got a few who are friends, mostly Fransiscan's.  

I also love beef jerky.   ;D

These would definitely be Francisans!!

Earlier in the month they had a Buddist Psychology Program and I think this weekend a program on Jungian Dream Inerpretation.  Also very big into yoga and meditation.  I think they even have a training on drum circles or some darn hippie nonsense coming up.  ;D

All kidding aside, they are just wonderful, kind, and spunky ladies up there, I suspect your hippie nun friends are aware of The Christine Center already....

DrSnide

Quote from: Goat Roper on May 23, 2013, 03:12:42 PM
http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

I follow this regularly.  The orioles travel with the hummingbirds.

Remember don't use red food coloring for hummingbirds as it destroys their kidneys.  Use red colored bottles instead.

The smaller hawks are most likely sharp-shined.

Use cayenne pepper to keep squirrels away from your bird seed.  Doesn't bother the birds since they don't have taste buds.

awesome link!!! Thanks

imnofish

Quote from: Goat Roper on May 23, 2013, 03:12:42 PM
http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

I follow this regularly.  The orioles travel with the hummingbirds.

Remember don't use red food coloring for hummingbirds as it destroys their kidneys.  Use red colored bottles instead.

The smaller hawks are most likely sharp-shined.

Use cayenne pepper to keep squirrels away from your bird seed.  Doesn't bother the birds since they don't have taste buds.

Thanks for posting this info.  8)   I was not aware of this.  My wife and I will be adjusting accordingly.