WIAA Regionals - Super Regionals - NEW Updates in 2023 What are your thoughts?

Started by TomM, February 12, 2023, 02:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

WIAA Regionals - Super Regionals - NEW Updates in 2023 What are your thoughts?

New WIAA updates to Regionals

D2-D3
'Super Regionals'
How did it go?
Like it? Love it?

D1
Two Top Team Finishers from 'Regional' Qualify for Team Sectionals
Like it? Love it?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

thequad

Quote from: TomM on February 12, 2023, 02:13:14 PMWIAA Regionals - Super Regionals - NEW Updates in 2023 What are your thoughts?

New WIAA updates to Regionals

D2-D3
'Super Regionals'
How did it go?
Like it? Love it?

D1
Two Top Team Finishers from 'Regional' Qualify for Team Sectionals
Like it? Love it?
love it
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

wrestlemania

Some people will have to get used to the fact the regionals won't be over by 1 p.m. D-2 in Neillsville didn't get done until 6:30 p.m. and they were 20 minutes late getting started.

Ghetto

Love that two teams make it in D1. We had a team cheering for our kid in a fourth wrestle back against the team they were vying for second with.

Wish they would have done it years ago.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Army Ant

Looks like a huge difference now between d1 and d2/3. I counted 13 teams in the d2/3 regionals I saw. They also generally went A LOT later than the d1 regionals as somebody stated.

I was at a d1 regional but these had to be a lot better than having 6 or 7 teams and then a bunch of brackets with 4 (or fewer) kids due to all the forfeits like there used to be.

WaupuWrestling

I don't think they thought about the facility needs for hosting a 14-16 team tournament. Not enough gyms large enough to comfortably hold 4 or more mats and seat the amount of fans. Made for a long crammed day. I think if the facilities could handle things better it would be great. I do like the change to 30 minute wait time and would like to see it adopted for the whole season.

neutral

Don't like it ... not necessary ... adds too much additional wear & tear and risk-of-injury to participants also in the individual tournament ... of which there are many (advantage non-participants).
If it's felt 2 teams need to qualify from each regional (to test/prove the results in a dual environment) ... it should be the week after individual - with the sectional matches that Tuesday & the standard weekend bracket format.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

Handles II

The D2 Regional that i was at was very competitive and had great entertainment value for those in attendance. It was run very smoothly and like any tournament with over 12 teams took until about 6:30. Certainly to be expected by anyone who's ever been to a similar tournament, especially when factoring in wrestlebacks.

fryguy518

I like it and it also makes going to Team Sectionals a little more bang for the buck getting 3 duals instead 1.  JMO Tomorrow is going to be exciting!

Wis-Mallard

Super regionals are much better product for fans. Lot of quality semi-final and final matches.

hotcorona1

Was at the Edgar d3 super, lots of good finals matches and then some good wrestle backs for 2nd and 4th where applicable.  We were done at 5:30pm when picture and metals probably 6:30. Seemed like the race for the 2nd place team was hotly contested all over, Glenwood City won over Cadott by 1.5 pts, and I think in one super it was 1 pt.  Like someone said nice to have fuller brackets where you have to wrestle to get in.  Even taking top four, most weights had 7-10 kids.  Fans were all fired up, made for a good atmosphere.

trout1

The Neillsville Super regional we were at felt more like sectionals than a regional. Lots more fans in the stands and lots of 4th/5th place wrestle backs (9 to be exact) that kids were happy for after winning. Anytime get to make it 1 more week is a good thing.

What we learned was that making it to the semi's didn't guarantee anyone a spot at Sectionals as 5 5th place finishers won their 4th place wrestle backs to move onto Sectionals

Army Ant

A couple people made great pts. This is great for fans but maybe a bit much for some wrestlers.

Pretty intense to have to go through a 13-team regional on Saturday, team sectionals on Tuesday (some of them), and then sectionals on Saturday again. Injuries are an elevated concern. 

I think there's got to be a better way to decide team state championship. I'd start that series earlier in the year (let every or ar least more teams qualify for team regionals) and get every team qualified for state before the individual series starts. Then finish it up (same as now) after the individual series is done.