Started by TomM, January 06, 2023, 04:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

stbird

Can't believe there wasn't a post for this dual!  I am happy that the Badgers fought hard. I am frustrated that at several weights it was like the varsity wrestling the JV on takedowns. I know it's Penn State, but to forget your single leg defense 5 or 6 times in a match is inexcusable!  Are they that much better?  Kudos to Barnett and Gomez and Hamidi!!! 

stbird

stbird

I am pissed at my second year wrestlers that don't know how to use a wizzer. College wrestlers, no excuse!!! 

BadgerOne

Quote from: stbird on January 06, 2023, 10:23:05 PMScharenbrock?

While the Badgers are huge underdogs, I think Scharenbrock gives the Badgers a little better chance to win dual in case Braxton, Zargo or Hillger can come up with a big upset.  Sharenbrock or Model against Haines is probably a slight Penn State edge either way but if Scharenbrock can win, he's shown he is more likely to bonus than Model.  Badgers need pins from Barnett, Gomez and Hamiti, a win at 57 and score one big upset and avoid getting pinned at 33, 74, 85 and Hwt.  Odds aren't good, but stranger things have happened.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: stbird on January 06, 2023, 10:23:05 PMScharenbrock?

I'm not sure it would have mattered...with all due respect to both of our '57 pounders. I think Haines has a chance to win it this year, similar to Hall his Freshmen year. He's gonna be one of their next dominant Wrestlers. Took the Snyder route and beat some VERY good Wrestlers last year in what would have been his Sr year of HS. '57 is a wide open weight.

PSU is just on a whole other level from the rest of the Country. They're going to have to figure out how to stagger some of their guys with Barr, Sealey, Kasak, Starroci possibly wrestling his 5th year(he's kinda said both he would go for 5 and be done after his 4th).

onwisconsin

Wonder if we see Gomez and Braxton on Sunday. Both didn't come out of their match fully healthy.

Atmosphere in the barn is showing more potential.  Need to keep building.  Fundraising and recruiting.  I believe in the coaching staff.  Depth and fielding a strong 10 still need improvement.

dad 2 5

I kind of throw out this weekend in my mind. We all know PSU would be a force and we should best IL, guessing 21-19 Bucky. @MI and against Purdue at home will tell us a lot about where this team is at and headed. Just a little nugget that maybe brings some hope. Last time out against PSU two years ago, 6-34 so they scored 5 more points this time out

PAUL

I know that improvement is happening and I know that Penn State is really good, but it's hard not to be a bit discouraged after that one.... 

Vir Fortis

Quote from: dad 2 5 on January 07, 2023, 09:47:43 AMI kind of throw out this weekend in my mind. We all know PSU would be a force and we should best IL, guessing 21-19 Bucky. @MI and against Purdue at home will tell us a lot about where this team is at and headed. Just a little nugget that maybe brings some hope. Last time out against PSU two years ago, 6-34 so they scored 5 more points this time out

Not to nitpick, but 6 more, right? We lost 1 due to a mat warning.

Quote from: PAUL on January 07, 2023, 02:43:57 PMI know that improvement is happening and I know that Penn State is really good, but it's hard not to be a bit discouraged after that one.... 

Is it? PSU has 4 returning champs, the top ranked HWT...they won half the National Titles last year and it's very possible they do so again this year.

I think they beat almost every team that badly when they go with that lineup.

We're a top ~10 team and to me, it looks like the program is moving in the right direction.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: onwisconsin on January 07, 2023, 04:44:31 AMWonder if we see Gomez and Braxton on Sunday. Both didn't come out of their match fully healthy.

Atmosphere in the barn is showing more potential.  Need to keep building.  Fundraising and recruiting.  I believe in the coaching staff.  Depth and fielding a strong 10 still need improvement.

I really can't believe they let that Bow and Arrow at the end go without a potentially dangerous. When his foot is behind his head at the end and that knee is all twisted up...that's a good way to Spencer Lee a kid.

I hope we see Amos. That'd be a BIG match for him to get vs Ill. That's the EXACT type of match he needs to start winning. He's also gotta wrestle smarter than he did vs Dean. I'm not even sure if he'd have gotten a slip on that attempted headlock in Greco it was so bad.

It won't take much(I don't think) but he's gotta be able to get to in and finish on guys like Braunagel...and he'll get another shot at another top Wrestlers tomorrow...hopefully.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Comments on Penn State Dual

Hard to win a dual against a team with 4 returning NCAA Champs and a top ranked opponent (285 Kerkvliet) They do not make many mistakes. You have to wrestle perfectly to beat them. They work hard to take away your strengths.

Barnett and Hamiti looked great. I see  Hamiti was working the claw ride a little; given his leverage he could become even more dominant on top, which is scary in a good way! Gomez gutted out the win. Looked tired but found a way to get the "W".

Lamont kept it close. Bravo-Young was concerned about Lamont's upper body moves.

Lettini looked scrappy against a tough opponent. Needs to react to shots better.

At 157, Haines is good, but Model looked tired to me. Needs to focus on takedown defense. Gave up leg shots too easily and let up the pressure on the mat which Hansen capitalized on.

While we were beaten soundly at 174 and 184 by top ranked opponents, we kept fighting.

The Badgers overall need to get out more efficiently from the bottom. Amos (and Hillger) come to mind here. Perhaps need to work a sitout or some other initial move occasionally. Seemed too predictable. Amos needs to work on getting out from leg riders by preventing the leg ride from going in. A couple minor adjustments needed.

Hillger was within a few points of the top ranked guy. Has a couple other fluke losses this year. Certainly is much bigger. He will be there at the end of the season.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf