A Cutting-Edge Second Look at the Battle of Gettysburg

Started by TomM, July 04, 2013, 11:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

A Cutting-Edge Second Look at the Battle of Gettysburg
New technology has given us the chance to re-examine how the Civil War battle was won and lost
Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/A-Cutting-Edge-Second-Look-at-the-Battle-of-Gettysburg.html#ixzz2Y62V91kM
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Kind of cool...
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Ghetto

Thanks for that link. The history channel had a nice Gettysburg show on Sunday. I was lucky enough to go to that site. Super experience. 
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

littleguy301

Cool!!!!!!!

I spent some time a few years back studing on the Civil War.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigoil

Quote from: Ghetto on July 04, 2013, 01:03:07 PM
Thanks for that link. The history channel had a nice Gettysburg show on Sunday. I was lucky enough to go to that site. Super experience. 

I watched that too, the splitter ammo for the cannon was a beast. My son couldn't figure out why they just kept walking (tried for about ten minutes to tell him it was a reenactment, finally believed me when I pointed out the color vs black and white).

bigG

Really cool. I'm not a big reenactment fan, so this sort of visual really hits me right.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

padre

A little off topic but same time period...if you're ever traveling south and Springfield, IL is on your way the Lincoln Museum is well worth the time for the stop.  Linclon's tomb is only a couple miles away from the museum along with his home and a couple other attractions within blocks.  Very informative for the kids and adults.

bigG

I went through Springfield two years ago, and pondered whether we should stop there. After the traffic jam in St. Louis, the kids weren't too up for it.

I regret not going now.

littleguy301

I remembered going to Lincolns home and such as a child. It was pretty cool and for some reason a young lad like me had alot of interest in Lincoln at the time.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigG

padre

Quote from: littleguy301 on July 07, 2013, 07:16:13 PM
I remembered going to Lincolns home and such as a child. It was pretty cool and for some reason a young lad like me had alot of interest in Lincoln at the time.

The home tour was neat...it was highly renovated a few years ago but a whole block has no traffic access with many tours there to show the old homes and the heritage...very informative.

You leave the place a bit sad as he really did have a ton of tragedies in his life and both he and his wife lived their final years grief strickened..especially over their children's deaths.

If you go make sure to hit the one man actor show in the museum....lots of 3D in it and a really nice show.

mickey

If you ever get any where near Gettysburg for any reason take the time to visit and spend the money for a park guide to drive your vehicle through the battle ground . It is probably the best money I have ever spent.

Ghetto

Quote from: mickey on July 11, 2013, 04:28:45 PM
If you ever get any where near Gettysburg for any reason take the time to visit and spend the money for a park guide to drive your vehicle through the battle ground . It is probably the best money I have ever spent.

I was there two years ago, and completely agree. Our guide was awesome, and took us to where WI Iron Brigade fought. Really awesome.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

mickey

I remember standing on Little Round Top gazing over the "wheatfield" and having the hair on my nape stand up.......