Is print dead??

Started by Kjohnson, June 08, 2013, 12:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kjohnson

Putting ink on paper was what I taught for over 30 years.  Hard to believe the technology is coming to an end.

Guttenberg started it all back when Columbus discovered America.  E Thom Rogers (may he RIP) was the guy who got me started in the world of print ( or Graphic Arts) since that time I went to college to learn about printing and teaching, got a job teaching printing for over 30 years and helped a lot of students see the value of a good paying career.  Back in the days, I could train a student on the AB Dick press and they could get a job out of high school running a press for about 2X minimum wage. Not bad for no training other than high school. Some of my students earned even more if they had a coop job with me.

Taking an original and making multiply copies is still happening. T shirts, and other  materials is a huge industry. But I

bulldog

personally I feel the Print industry (newspaper/magazines) are their own worst enemy. Instead of putting original material in print they just take the magazine and put it online. So why should the public pay for print media when they can get it faster online. Also, it is cheaper to produce a digital product than it is to produce print (paper, postage, printing cost add up). So put it on the internet...charge close to the same as a print subscription and BAM you have just increased your margins. Can you stop it??? I don't know. What if local newspapers actually reported local news that could not be found online? What if major publishers (Time/Newsweek) published articles that could only be found in print?

I still prefer to have a book in my hand or read a newspaper as compared to getting my info from the internet. Keep fighting the good fight Kjohnson!

mickey

I remember my first management job. Everything was tracked in longhand on legal pads. I had reams of them. My filing cabinets were kept in order by date so I could readily refer to them if necessary. I used to print everything on an old dot matrix that I referred to as the "washing machine" because it would actually try to move across the floor when I was doing a lot of printing. My first IBM was used solely to "input" numbers on reports which were then printed and faxed to headquarters. ...needless to say everything has changed. I can read all the news "online" and don't need a newspaper, but it is one habit which I'll never shake. The missus and I have breakfast every morning and my day starts with the Janesville Gazette.

mickey

Putting ink on paper was what I taught for over 30 years.  Hard to believe the technology is coming to an end.

Guttenberg started it all back when Columbus discovered America.  E Thom Rogers (may he RIP) was the guy who got me started in the world of print ( or Graphic Arts) since that time I went to college to learn about printing and teaching, got a job teaching printing for over 30 years and helped a lot of students see the value of a good paying career.  Back in the days, I could train a student on the AB Dick press and they could get a job out of high school running a press for about 2X minimum wage. Not bad for no training other than high school. Some of my students earned even more if they had a coop job with me.

Taking an original and making multiply copies is still happening. T shirts, and other  materials is a huge industry. But I

Kjohnson

Quote from: mickey on July 16, 2013, 01:02:32 PM

bigG

One of my favorite smells in the world was fresh mimeographed worksheets. I never did the work; but just was in heaven when the fresh ones would arrive. Mmmm.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.