Team sectional Merrill vs Menomonie

Started by Pheasant 1984, February 17, 2014, 05:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Levickis

Quote from: Grant Peissig on February 19, 2014, 02:46:42 PM
Congrats to Arnie, his staff and the Merrill wrestlers.  They are a very good team and they out wrestled us last night.  Their studs scored the bonus points that they needed to and the other kids didn't give them up.  Good luck to the Blue Jays at team state, they will be hard for anyone to handle.

As far as the discussion on location is concerned, I know it will sound like sour grapes, but I'm disappointed in the WIAA's decision.  We applied to host the team sectional this year after having to travel to Wausau West last year and the WIAA chose Merrill anyway.  We have traveled a total of 504 miles to wrestle in team sectionals the past two seasons and our opponents have traveled a grand total of 0.  Joe, Head and the others that have been ripping Pheasant for being upset about the location of the team sectional should look at it from our perspective for a second. Think about what your reaction would be if the same circumstances occurred with the school you support.

Classy Coach Peissig. Now knowing you guys applied for it, I would be upset as well. There clearly could and should be some revisions made to the post-season process from the WIAA's standpoint. I would be upset having to travel that far the Tuesday of Sectionals. Nice job this year, and good luck the rest of the way this weekend at sectionals at State.

Joe Levickis

PCA

In division 1 it is a simple solution rotate the host between the 2 regionals, there for it was at Merrill this year. Then next year they west regional is guaranteed to host it. All gyms will be able to host it.

justaclone22

That would be logical, wouldn't it? New Richmond has asked to host a Sectional event every year since they moved in to their new school.

wsalem

The bottom line is suggestions are thrown around every year that MOST feel are great ideas for how to improve the system (this is in a lot of sports) and the WIAA doesn't even consider them. The more and more I experience the more and more I feel that the WIAA cares about checking off boxes and saying they did something, not about saying they did it right.

woody53

Quote from: wsalem on February 20, 2014, 09:41:32 PM
The bottom line is suggestions are thrown around every year that MOST feel are great ideas for how to improve the system (this is in a lot of sports) and the WIAA doesn't even consider them. The more and more I experience the more and more I feel that the WIAA cares about checking off boxes and saying they did something, not about saying they did it right.
Then propose something to the coaches association salem so the WIAA will take notice.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

wsalem

Quote from: woody53 on February 20, 2014, 09:46:20 PM
Quote from: wsalem on February 20, 2014, 09:41:32 PM
Then propose something to the coaches association salem so the WIAA will take notice.

I'm saying suggestions are stated, proposals have and continue to be made.....They are quickly dismissed by the WIAA.

woody53

More than just kicking around or tossing out ideas. When I put the proposal together for the wrestle back to third place at state, I didn't just say "Hey WIAA, you should do it." I had over 16 pages of documents, brackets, session timing, labor breakdowns. It took over 4 years to get everyone behind it. Not just the WIAA, but the Coaches Association. The UW (Yes changes that effect times at UW facilities have to go to them also). I am doing the same to create double elimination at state. Their are others that feel there are more important changes. Like having a super sectional, Regional Team Duals, etc. and they are putting just as much if not more work into their proposal. I respect those that are doing the homework for their proposal so much. Then you have to get all parties on board.
Can tell you, it is not just throwing an idea out and having the WIAA "PooPoo" it.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!