Team sectional Merrill vs Menomonie

Started by Pheasant 1984, February 17, 2014, 05:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pheasant 1984

Merril vs Menomonie! Why can't this match be moved to a neutral site?
You are only as good as you practice! Practice like a champion to become a champion!

Joe Levickis

Really? Merrill put in for it way before the season even started. That's been the site for quite some time now. Every other school has the right to apply for the opportunity to host such an event. Merrill just happened to be good enough to win their regional. They would have hosted it whether they had won or someone else had won. Congratulations goes out to the Bluejays!

Ino

Quote from: Pheasant 1984 on February 17, 2014, 05:35:36 PM
Merril vs Menomonie! Why can't this match be moved to a neutral site?

Same could be said for Stoughton, Burlington and Mukwonago.

They (WIAA) really should put them in neutral sites somewhere in the middle, but there is no incentive to host these meets so very few schools volunteer. They assign them in April.

justaclone22

Quote from: Joe Levickis on February 17, 2014, 06:49:22 PM
Really? Merrill put in for it way before the season even started. That's been the site for quite some time now. Every other school has the right to apply for the opportunity to host such an event. Merrill just happened to be good enough to win their regional. They would have hosted it whether they had won or someone else had won. Congratulations goes out to the Bluejays!

Sure any school can apply, but only schools East of Chippewa Falls can host...........

Joe Levickis

Not true. I remember awhile ago it was in Rice Lake one year. Interesting how a guy from Menomonie brings this up the day before the actual dual. Didn't hear any complaining before Saturday. It's been on the schedule for months and months.

justaclone22

Quote from: Ino on February 17, 2014, 07:04:24 PM
Quote from: justaclone22 on February 17, 2014, 06:59:42 PM
Sure any school can apply, but only schools East of Chippewa Falls can host...........

That would explain why it is in Merrill, where was it last year?
According to WIAA website...
2014 - Merril
2013 - Wausau West
2012 - Merrill
2011 - Chippewa Falls
2010 - Eau Claire Memorial
2009 - Eau Claire Memorial
2008 - Wausau West
2007 - Wausau West
2006 - DC Everest
2005 - Rice Lake
2004 - Wausau West
2003 - Merril
2002 - Medford
2001 - Chippewa Falls
2000 - Medford

justaclone22

Rice Lake is East of 53. Technically not "East" of Chippewa on a map, but I wouldn't say it disproves the theory.

HMsDad

Lets not forget basketball probably has a say who hosts also. For instance Chippewa has a boys game tomorrow.

DocWrestling

Finding hosts is becoming more difficult than where to host.  We hosted sectionals last year and the AD says we made very little money and concessions did not do very well for our club.  We won't be requesting again.  This year we are hosting team sectional dual and that does not make much sense in reality even with neutral site when you have Kaukauna and Oshkosh West driving to FDL.  We are not expecting a large crowd when you have two teams that have already wrestled in a dual and in conference and they were blowouts.

I do think neutral sites should be required but the WIAA needs to make it more profitable for host schools and a new system is likely needed so there is more time to schedule than finding out Saturday evening and needing a site by Tuesday night.

It makes sense that if you expect to have a regional championship team, you should request.

The North is always the worst and it was even tougher for Hudson over the years who had to travel even further on a school night and during a week you are preparing for sectionals and state tournament berths.

I sincerely hope the coaches can get the WIAA to change the dual tournament format
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Lcoach

Joe L.
We miss you big fellow. As I recall you're famous for the technique known as TIM! Good to here from you.
Life is God's gift to us!
How we live it is our gift to God!

Joe Levickis

Let's talk about the great competition! I'd like to congratulate both programs on the awesome opportunity they have in front of them. It would be nice to discuss that rather than complain about the site of the event. I think it's going to be a great dual between two evenly matched teams. Both teams have a solid lineup with great coaching staffs. It looks like it will come down to bonus points. Every match point will count a great deal towards deciding this one.

Joe Levickis

Quote from: Lcoach on February 17, 2014, 07:35:58 PM
Joe L.
We miss you big fellow. As I recall you're famous for the technique known as TIM! Good to here from you.

Thanks! I'll continue to follow WI Wrestling even from down south in Tennessee. The level of competition and involvement is incredible back home compared to the Nashville area. I'm glad the TIM technique is finally getting a little discussion! Lol! An extremely underrated maneuver in my opinion!

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

Should be a good dual but I gotta think Merrill just has too many studs

The Last Ride

Quote from: Brett Favre on February 17, 2014, 09:45:13 PM
Should be a good dual but I gotta think Merrill just has too many studs

Merrill better score bonus points..
"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

Pheasant 1984

I'm actually from Knapp, but that really don't matter! I've known where this match was going to be held for quite some time now. I just feel that it should be held somewhere in between. WIAA has the power but won't step up and change it. It should be a great match!
You are only as good as you practice! Practice like a champion to become a champion!