Why don't WI wrestlers dominate in college?

Started by dirt, November 12, 2013, 08:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Big House on November 14, 2013, 12:41:52 PM
You don't think he was still looking to prove himself?

I think that some of the colleges giving him the cool shoulder spurred him on even more, but he left high school unfulfilled as a wrestler.  He had more to show us.

I'm just saying that many unbelievable HS wrestlers have already proved themselves and have little left to give. 

I think the schools that gave him "the cold shoulder" were stupid and based it completely on his personality.  Big mistake. 
"This page intentionally left blank".

Todd

Quote from: Big House on November 14, 2013, 01:38:53 PM
Number one .... Askren was a 2-time state champ and not a 3 or 4-timer. 

Number two .... He was overlooked by many D1 programs.

That's all I'm saying.

I know he's had many accomplishments other than number of state titles.  My point is that many wrestlers end their HS career and are mentally done wrestling.  Ben obviously was not.  Still isn't.

#1 Ben lost a close match as a freshman.
#2 had it not been for the ankle injury he would have cruised to his 3rd title. 

Schools that passed on him because they thought he lacked talent should have their scouts fired.  It was do to Ben's confidence and perceived arrogance.  Again, big mistake.

Big House

People are always gonna talk and to tell you the truth, I love it. I love the attention.
I do what I do because it puts a smile on my face . . . and I'm the only person in the world that matters. - Jenna Jameson

Todd

TeamJ

There is a popular book out now relating character to LONG-TERM success for children in education (believe authors name is Paul Tough, and title close to "how children succeed').  My two cents is that many of the same principles in this book about education apply to sports, and especially wrestling.  Basis of the book is that character (grit, self-control, determination, resilience, etc.) is a prime determinant of success more then all the other variables in life.

dirt

Interesting stats Mr Black. Thank you because when you look at the total numbers it does make it quite impressive for the ones that do carry on the same success at the next level. I have a few questions though... 1) how do you think that some programs seam to "pick" the right kids year in and year out (ex: Iowa, MN, Penn state,) and others keep missing. What do they look for in a wrestler if it is just the way it is, or do you think it has something to do with the program? 2) At what age do you think a kid needs to start wrestling to reach there "full potential." I know every kid is different but on the average is there a set age that has been statistically proven to be the right time. (ex: if they start wrestling in 1st grade will they most likely become a better wrestler then if the same kid did not start until 7th grade, or vice versa)