Oldest Highschool Tournament

Started by FinalWord, January 04, 2017, 06:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinalWord

What school has the oldest/longest running tournament/Invitational? I know the Ellsworth Invitational is 53 years old.
" I never met a man I didn't like except Will Rodgers."

littleguy301

You probably have that 3rd place ribbon from 1963 hanging above your fire place don't ya ;D

Let's face it word, not to many people can say they were competing in those years ;D

Nice tournament and glad to see it around that long. Lots of great wrestlers competed in that tournament.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

FinalWord

I know it wasn't the first. The Pulaski Invite must just as old. To set the record straight I did NOT participate in the 1st year. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th maybe :)

Jimmy

Word? Are you saying high school freshman were not eligible back then just like college?

FinalWord

Quote from: Jimmy on January 04, 2017, 07:34:43 PM
Word? Are you saying high school freshman were not eligible back then just like college?
Not eligible in the sense that 37 out of the 40 guys in the room could kick my inappropriate term15.

Nailbender

I believe the Peshtigo Invite is pushing 50 years? I'm not sure on this, but I know this one has been going for a long time.

littleguy301

Quote from: FinalWord on January 04, 2017, 06:28:03 PM
I know it wasn't the first. The Pulaski Invite must just as old. To set the record straight I did NOT participate in the 1st year. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th maybe :)

just watched and iced is what your saying ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

littleguy301

I know these are not as long as 50 years but have to ask.

Bi-State?
Badger State?

they have been around for some time but not sure how long.

bigoil

Quote from: littleguy301 on January 04, 2017, 10:02:17 PM

Bi-State?
Badger State?

Ed Stech/ WAC tourney looks like 44 years.

Houndhead

Sparta Invite has been around at least 35 years or more.

npope

Bi-State?
Badger State?

Showing my age on this one, but back in the early 1970s, Badger State was originally called the Tri-State where the top teams from IL and IA were invited up to compete against the best in WI, e.g., Mineral Point, Stoughton, etc. The out-of-state teams dominated, to say the least. The programs that were invited generated a lot of future NCAA champs. The total number of teams competing couldn't have been more than 16 at the max - probably something more like eight. If I remember correctly, Rich Lawinger was one of the first WI boys to win a title. The character of the meet started changing by about 1973 and over a period of many years, morphed into the current Badger State meet. I might be wrong on this last point however; the current Badger State meet may in fact have no continuous connection to the original Tri-State meet (which was held in the UW Field House), but I can say with assurance that the name of the Tri-State meet was initially changed to Badger State. What I am not certain of is whether the Badger State meet is the same one as the one I am describing here. Maybe some other old fart that knows more is invited to chime in.

At the time (early 1970s), Russ Hellickson put out the first Crossface publication that provided any kind of wrestling information in the state. Prior to that people would have to rely on reading about some small box score in the sports section of some distant newspaper that you could only gain access to by sitting in a library. We simply didn't hear about what was going on in different parts of the state. That made state meets pretty interesting - the 16 competitors that showed up at the state meet were relatively unknown to each other, for the most part. You could be looking at a guy standing across from you and not have a clue as how good he was before he grabbed hold of you. The information network in Milwaukee and Madison was far better than what was happening in other parts of the state - especially up in the Northwestern part. The Crossface changed all of that.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

DocWrestling

Mid-states, Ed Stech, and Pulaski are all at least 30 years old
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

ElectricGuy

Quote from: npope on January 05, 2017, 05:27:49 AM

Bi-State?
Badger State?

Showing my age on this one, but back in the early 1970s, Badger State was originally called the Tri-State where the top teams from IL and IA were invited up to compete against the best in WI, e.g., Mineral Point, Stoughton, etc. The out-of-state teams dominated, to say the least. The programs that were invited generated a lot of future NCAA champs. The total number of teams competing couldn't have been more than 16 at the max - probably something more like eight. If I remember correctly, Rich Lawinger was one of the first WI boys to win a title. The character of the meet started changing by about 1973 and over a period of many years, morphed into the current Badger State meet. I might be wrong on this last point however; the current Badger State meet may in fact have no continuous connection to the original Tri-State meet (which was held in the UW Field House), but I can say with assurance that the name of the Tri-State meet was initially changed to Badger State. What I am not certain of is whether the Badger State meet is the same one as the one I am describing here. Maybe some other old fart that knows more is invited to chime in.

At the time (early 1970s), Russ Hellickson put out the first Crossface publication that provided any kind of wrestling information in the state. Prior to that people would have to rely on reading about some small box score in the sports section of some distant newspaper that you could only gain access to by sitting in a library. We simply didn't hear about what was going on in different parts of the state. That made state meets pretty interesting - the 16 competitors that showed up at the state meet were relatively unknown to each other, for the most part. You could be looking at a guy standing across from you and not have a clue as how good he was before he grabbed hold of you. The information network in Milwaukee and Madison was far better than what was happening in other parts of the state - especially up in the Northwestern part. The Crossface changed all of that.

NPOPE - you are spot on,  I did some research and interviews and I have a bunch of notes, was hoping someday to put a little blurb / write-up together.

Without looking at my notes. 

It started in the 1960's - I want to say 1967 and your correct it was originally called "Tri-state"
It was then run and coordinated by the WI Badgers program
The name was eventually changed to Badger State
I believe in the late 70's or 80's - it bounced between an individual tournament vs a dual tournament
It was taken over by the Middleton and Stoughton wrestling programs shortly after the current coaching staff came in.
Shortly after that it was then just taken over by the Stoughton program.
Heard lots of stories about seeding arguments, none that I could probably include in a write-up.  :)

On that note if anyone else has memories / info on it and want to PM me - I would love to included it in a historical write-up.

Thanks
We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

Houndhead

Quote from: ElectricGuy on January 05, 2017, 08:55:20 AM

Bi-State?
Badger State?

NPOPE - you are spot on,  I did some research and interviews and I have a bunch of notes, was hoping someday to put a little blurb / write-up together.

Without looking at my notes. 

It started in the 1960's - I want to say 1967 and your correct it was originally called "Tri-state"
It was then run and coordinated by the WI Badgers program
The name was eventually changed to Badger State
I believe in the late 70's or 80's - it bounced between an individual tournament vs a dual tournament
It was taken over by the Middleton and Stoughton wrestling programs shortly after the current coaching staff came in.
Shortly after that it was then just taken over by the Stoughton program.
Heard lots of stories about seeding arguments, none that I could probably include in a write-up.  :)

On that note if anyone else has memories / info on it and want to PM me - I would love to included it in a historical write-up.

Thanks

For some reason, when we participated in the early 80's, I thought Oregon high school was also part of running the tournament.
What facility is this tournament currently held at?

Kjohnson

Bi-State?
Badger State?

I have a Crossface Magazine from January 1973, The front cover has a photo of the Tri State Champs. You are correct in the tournament was by invitation only. The Crossface also has rankings of the best wrestler in each weight class with everyone else being Honorable Mention.