Things before unseen

Started by jeast, May 22, 2013, 02:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndhead

Quote from: howavi on May 23, 2013, 07:02:44 AM
GB perch/lake perch have been decimated by other species (prob human too, yum including the white perch).

Definitely more black bears.

Anyone else see the pelicans in their area?

No pelicans here, but it seems like more and more sandhill cranes every year.

bigoil

Pelicans are really good flyers and almost resemble Geese in formation but very graceful flying. All over the bay down to De Pere and a little farther South along the Fox.

If you ever get a chance in this area, go to Thousand Islands in Kaukauna, 100's of Bald Eagles.

jeast

That is another bird that I had never seen until recent years...the Pelican!  There are thick over on the Mississippi.  We take the camera down and get some great photos.  They don't appear to be too afraid of humans in any way.  Also, the commorants are thick as ticks on a dogs back.  Speaking of ticks...they are more plentiful now as well.

"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

DrSnide

Quote from: littleguy301 on May 22, 2013, 08:32:54 PM
Havent seen many grouse like I did as a kid in the 70's though I have been seeing some grey foxes lately. I havent seen a red fox in some time.

I also know that the coyotes are more and more over the past decade in my area. The possiums came up in the drought of 1988 and man I still see those stinkers alot.

I have seen 1 snowshoe/jackrabbit in the past 15 years. Man as a youth I would see them alot and they were the coolest things to see get up and run! I think the possiums had something to do with them and maybe the grouse.

Used to hear about more rattlessnakes in the 80's and 90's but I dont hear about them as much any more in my area.

Also, I dont see many single family farms anymore,,,,ok,,,side joke there ;D

As a kid I almost stepped on a rattler sunning itself on a path by Wabasha.  That'll wake you up.  My dad didn't believe me until I showed him myself and he hated snakes.  Dropped his cigar and ran out of there.  I picked up his cigar, put it my mouth, and strolled back like I was a George Thourgood/Janis Joplin love child bad a**. According to my dad that's when he knew I was going to be a pain in the backside as a teenager - which he was right about  8)   
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

imnofish

Quote from: jeast on May 23, 2013, 08:55:58 AM
That is another bird that I had never seen until recent years...the Pelican!  There are thick over on the Mississippi.  We take the camera down and get some great photos.  They don't appear to be too afraid of humans in any way.  Also, the commorants are thick as ticks on a dogs back.  Speaking of ticks...they are more plentiful now as well.

I was amazed to see them on some lakes in Northwest Ontario, starting back in the mid-90's. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

DrSnide

I don't remember seeing Turkeys growing up but can't get away from the things now.  Bear seem to be much more common also.  Bald eagles are another own.  Saw maybe one or two growing up but see them all the time now.  

I was going to say I don't see redwing blackbirds like I use to but saw a mess of them the other day so maybe not.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Houndhead

Quote from: Goat Roper on May 23, 2013, 03:14:01 PM
Quote from: DrSnide on May 23, 2013, 11:37:15 AM
I don't remember seeing Turkeys growing up but can't get away from the things now.  Bear seem to be much more common also.  Bald eagles are another own.  Saw maybe one or two growing up but see them all the time now.  

I was going to say I don't see redwing blackbirds like I use to but saw a mess of them the other day so maybe not.

I believe we traded partridge to Missouri for the turkeys.  I'll bet Hound knows for sure.

You are correct.

Todd

Quote from: DrSnide on May 23, 2013, 11:37:15 AM

Wild Turkey roam by the dozens here in Brown deer and well deer of course. 
"This page intentionally left blank".