Looking for hood and grill for John Deere LX 173 mower/tractor

Started by TomM, July 16, 2013, 08:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Looking for hood and grill for John Deere LX 173 mower/tractor...
Short story; I am looking for the top hood and front grill (with light lenses) for a John Deere LX 173.  I have found some on the internet, but hoping I could find a John Deere 'grave yard' somewhere and scavenge these parts for a small fee instead of buying them 'oem' etc.  I'd even consider purchasing a tractor that isn't running that has these parts (not broken parts).
Long story; My friend goes to Wyoming for a month in the summer (returning tomorrow).  I mow his sizeable lawn (near four acres, takes four and a half hours) when he is gone, using his John Deere LX 173.  If you are familiar with this machine, you know the clutch is 'touchy'... The parking space for this machine is directly behind an ATV with much protruding metal on the rear end.  The front end of the JD 'smashed' into the ATV and there is damage to the top of the hood and to the grill.  I would like to replace it.  I am not saying I am responsible for the damage (well, at least not for ALL of the damage), but I would like to find these parts to make the thing look better.  Damage does not affect the use of the machine and duct tape (black color) is doing a great job of 'repair'....
Anyone know of these parts being available anywhere?  The LX parts for the hood are the same for these John Deere LX hoods and  complete will fit; LX 172,173,176,178,186,188
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

badgerjohn

Quote from: TomM on July 16, 2013, 08:34:22 AM
Looking for hood and grill for John Deere LX 173 mower/tractor...
Short story; I am looking for the top hood and front grill (with light lenses) for a John Deere LX 173.  I have found some on the internet, but hoping I could find a John Deere 'grave yard' somewhere and scavenge these parts for a small fee instead of buying them 'oem' etc.  I'd even consider purchasing a tractor that isn't running that has these parts (not broken parts).
Long story; My friend goes to Wyoming for a month in the summer (returning tomorrow).  I mow his sizeable lawn (near four acres, takes four and a half hours) when he is gone, using his John Deere LX 173.  If you are familiar with this machine, you know the clutch is 'touchy'... The parking space for this machine is directly behind an ATV with much protruding metal on the rear end.  The front end of the JD 'smashed' into the ATV and there is damage to the top of the hood and to the grill.  I would like to replace it.  I am not saying I am responsible for the damage (well, at least not for ALL of the damage), but I would like to find these parts to make the thing look better.  Damage does not affect the use of the machine and duct tape (black color) is doing a great job of 'repair'....
Anyone know of these parts being available anywhere?  The LX parts for the hood are the same for these John Deere LX hoods and  complete will fit; LX 172,173,176,178,186,188

You do know Home Depot has green duct tape?
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigoil

wouldn't the steaks be a little well done after 4 1/2 hours of grilling?

mickey

You might be better off taking the grill and hood to a local body shop if you're not handy with a little fiberglass tape and bondo. JD hoods are expensive which you've probably already figured out. I've fixed a few of these and it isn't difficult. They sell JD paint in a spray can and the one good thing is that there are no different "shades" it is all the same  ;)

littleguy301

I will have to agree with mickey on this one. Take it to a body shop and have them touch it up unless it is just unrepairable (which would have to be some serious damage).

JD parts are expensive and you could probably have a body shop do it cheaper.

If you havent already, try to hit up a JD saleman, they might give you some info as to where to look. You might have to go to a big JD saleman, meaning the sales guy that sells 150 HP tractors. Those small/yard sales guys sometimes will not give up any info ;)
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet