To all wrestling fans in Wisconsin: Latest update/plan re: Olympic issue

Started by TomM, February 22, 2013, 12:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

To all wrestling fans in Wisconsin,
Like you, I was surprised last Tuesday morning when news broke that wrestling had been removed from the Olympics beginning in 2020.  I just want to take a few minutes and provide a little more clarity to the situation, as there has been misinformation and a lack of general information in regards to what occurred last week and what you can expect in the future.
As of this time, wrestling is not officially excluded from the 2020 program.  The executive board of the International Olympic Committee, which consists of 15 individuals, made a preliminary recommendation to remove wrestling from the program in 2020.  In order for this recommendation to stand, it must be ratified by a majority vote of the IOC general assembly.
Please understand the following is my best assessment of the situation, largely with the information that has been provided courtesy of USA Wrestling.  Many observers and key points of contact are not completely clear how the process will move forward, but I hope to keep you informed as the IOC provides updates and clarification.
Key Dates:
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

grapplemom

KEEP OLYMPIC WRESTLING -- Resolutions supporting Olympic wrestling are currently being considered in the U.S. House and Senate in Washington, D.C, and similar resolutions are being considered in state legislatures across the nation. As part of this project, Olympic wrestling hopefuls and legends will be on hand when these government groups vote on the wrestling resolutions. One of the first products of this project was held today, when the Kentucky legislature passed an Olympic wrestling resolution. Kyle Ruschell, Assistant Wrestling Coach at the University of Wisconsin and an Olympic freestyle hopeful who grew up in Kentucky, was on hand in Kentucky for this important vote. Kyle was recognized and there was a very nice round of applause for him, his accomplishments, and in support of keeping wrestling in the Olympics. To help and support KEEP OLYMPIC WRESTLING, please visit the Save Olympic Wrestling  facebook page.

TomM

URGENT: Vote AGAIN to keep Wrestling in the Olympics at Inside the Games Poll
http://www.wiwrestling.com/news/1213/savewrestling2020/dontstopnownAugust12_2013.htm

Posted Monday, August 12, 2013
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"