Started by TomM, August 02, 2016, 06:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

leg turk

Barry, can you please give us your prediction for the starting line-ups this fall?  Thanks.....

TLV

About time that Rick Lawinger gets in!!! I remember him very well. He was a frosh when I  was an L1. I got to know him thru one of the suits at the WIAA who thought that it would be a good idea if I practiced my refereeing with the team during their practice matches. So, Coach Kleven allowed me to do that and one thing led to another and I found my self getting rolled around the mat as a Uke by Rick,  Craig Horswill(Now Dr. Horswill), Ed Vatch and a few other guys. They were pretty gentle. Although I was in Racine practicing law in Racine his senior year, I"d periodically go back for a workout with Rick. He, his then wife Sheila, Hwt Paul Roth and I returned from Ames after his championship at 142 to Mineral Point. I swear that we stopped every 3.3 miles at a restaurant to eat. He had cut from 175 to 158 for the Northern Open.....to 150 for the regular season...to 142 for the Big 10s and NCAAs. When we got to Point, his weight was back up to about 160!! Good memories. God Bless you, Rick!!
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

MarkK

I agree on Rick getting in.  Was a long time coming.  Also hats off to Liegel in serving on that medical missions team in Haiti.   Great to see athletes give their time and talent in other areas.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

vsmf2010

Quote from: TLV on August 15, 2016, 04:05:03 PM
About time that Rick Lawinger gets in!!! I remember him very well. He was a frosh when I  was an L1. I got to know him thru one of the suits at the WIAA who thought that it would be a good idea if I practiced my refereeing with the team during their practice matches. So, Coach Kleven allowed me to do that and one thing led to another and I found my self getting rolled around the mat as a Uke by Rick,  Craig Horswill(Now Dr. Horswill), Ed Vatch and a few other guys. They were pretty gentle. Although I was in Racine practicing law in Racine his senior year, I"d periodically go back for a workout with Rick. He, his then wife Sheila, Hwt Paul Roth and I returned from Ames after his championship at 142 to Mineral Point. I swear that we stopped every 3.3 miles at a restaurant to eat. He had cut from 175 to 158 for the Northern Open.....to 150 for the regular season...to 142 for the Big 10s and NCAAs. When we got to Point, his weight was back up to about 160!! Good memories. God Bless you, Rick!!

Great story. Thanks for sharing.